discussions for PC users Page 3
  • 235 Comments
  • @aman: Check out Page 1 of this discussion http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/comment/79851#Comment_79851 . ;) (I wrote the bloody thing. :) )
  • @brave1966 Sorry, but this is an easy method to check for updates. You did not need to need to open cmd.exe. Just run updater.exe and it checks for updates. Please read steps & try it. It is easier than your method.
  • Does anyone know if Rovio is discontinuing updates for the PC?
  • The space update for PC will come when a full update comes
  • Although I am excited for users of other platforms whenever I see an announcement for another release from Rovio, I can't help feel a bit neglected over here in PC-land. Must be this end-of-winter thing, when it feels like spring will never get here...

If I had an Android tablet, I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy, but alas, I only have an older Droid, and the experience just isn't quite the same as my 17-inch HD Dell Inspiron. :-)

But then, I remember working on software for Windows version 0.9, so I try to be philosophical about these sorts of things. And besides -- I spend WAY too much time on Angry Birds as it is. Perhaps this is a secret collusion between my husband and Rovio to try to wean me from my addiction. Uh, I mean, my, uh...hobby. Yes, yes, that's what it is -- a Hobby!

A perfectly harmless, safe, well managed hobby, that I could set aside any time I wanted to. Just like all my other Hobbies. And we will NOT discuss how many of them there are, ThankYouVeryMuch.

(I think that's my version of a chirp-up pep talk for those of us on PCs. I felt slightly in need of one, so I wrote one, pretending it was for everyone else in the same boat. I hope we all feel a little better now.)

• Hear, hear! Angry Birds is an okay game on the tablet, but it's really worth playing on the big screen - in my case a 22-inch because I'm an old lady. I've lost track of how many scoresets I've deleted so that I can go round again! About Seasons 2013, We had Halloween and Christmas, hopefully we're going to get an Easter Egg soon. It's only a week till Good Friday ...
  • I agree that PC users seem to be neglected. We haven't had any kind of an update since the 02/05/13 Angry Birds Star Wars v1.1.2 (Hoth) release. There hasn't been a Rio update since April 2012. Come on Rovio, some of us still like to play our games on a larger screen!
  • It's absolutely incredible that PC's are looked down on by Rovio, when in fact the internet, graphics and audio capabilities of a PC are vastly superior to any Tablet or Phone by any maker.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, shame on you Rovio!

• Your criticisms are completely unfounded. "Shame" on a company that has given you hundreds of levels? Seems fair...
  • I would like to see new levels as well. AB originally was a mobile game so maybe that's one reason for iOS and Android getting updates first? I've downloaded all the updates on my tablet and have been playing them from time to time, but somehow playing on tablet feels a bit hard for me. I haven't completed all the older levels yet (still working on ABO, Space and Seasons) but then again it would be nice to see new levels :)
  • Hi @all,
    I hope we will get PC updates after ABSW Cloud City update.:-) So don't be "angry" with Rovio . I also play AB & BP on PC more than my Android based phone.
  • @aman, I'm not angry with anyone, I just like to write whatever comes to mind at any given moment, it helps in alleviating my anxiety and longing for new updates.
  • Just because a company gives you hundreds of levels should not exempt them from criticism. They should have updates released at the same time for all platforms. Treating customers equally and fairly is only the right thing to do and good business practice. imo
  • Ok, I agree that it's a bit unfair that the PC version is much more expensive than the other versions and it hasn't got all the levels. If you compare the PC version to Android version, Android is free and has a lot more levels. Though I have no idea if it is more expensive to create an episode for PC than for some other platform? If it is, then that would explain the higher price.

Yeah, I'm sure they are developing new episodes and levels all the time, but they also have to deal with existing bugs and other stuff so I don't mind waiting for PC update for a bit longer.
  • @lisko You are right, it have been already more than 10 days when AB Rio Market Mayhen episode was released for iOS & Android But for PC..........STILL NOTHING :-(
  • I asked Rovio why AB is so expensive on PC and Mac while it is free on android. Answer:
    "The pricing of the application on each platform depends on the development costs, the number of customers and the policies of each marketplace. The "Path of the Jedi", which is an in-app purchase on all other platforms, is included with the PC and Mac versions. Also, the Android version is supported by Ads

We do our best to provide our games on each device and market at an affordable price."
  • @Bad piggies Thanks for telling, I haven't even thought that there actually isn't any ads in PC version. And now when I think of it, the free Android version really has A LOT of ads. Well, maybe I'm stupid or something, but I completely understand Rovio's point of view :)

Okay, the PC version costs 4,99€ and gets all the updates (maybe a bit later but anyway) for free. So I'm not complaining about it. I've got those free Android versions on my tablet, but sometimes I'm going crazy 'cause of the ads and stop playing because of them. I would like to get all the same levels to my PC too, 'cause for me it's really a lot easier to play with mouse. Somehow the sling is much more easier to handle when using mouse.
  • I agree. I also have a android and when I play ABspace the ads makes me go crazy! So a now have the PC version of ABspace.
    But now when the PC version is so expensive I think you should get unlimited Mighty eagle(classic,seasons and rio)for free and then the price could be one dollar more.
  • @badpiggies I agree with you. An unlimited pack of mighty eagle with one or two dollars increase in price is a good idea :-)
  • @Bad piggies, I don't take that as a bad idea at all. If I didn't already have all the PC versions, I would gladly pay 5,99€ to get all the updates and unlimited mighty eagle :)

And btw. if you buy the PC game from some market in Finland, the price is about 10€ and when you buy it straight from Rovio's webshop, it's 4,99€ so I rather buy it from the webshop :) Though I think when you buy it on a CD, you can install it as often as you want but you can use the unlock code (from the webshop) only three times.
  • There are also people out there that can't afford a tablet or smart phone. So then PC is there only option. Not complaining about the $5 price, but it would be nice to get the updates on an equal level with ios and android.
  • @3star-jeff, Yep I know the feeling. I couldn't afford a tablet, my my husband got one for free from work, too bad it's the cheapest model that they are selling in Finland and he got it for nothing because it was returned by a customer, 'cause the screens glue had partly failed. So yes, I know exactly the feeling when you can't afford something. I don't know where you're coming from, but if you tell me that 5€ (whatever it is in dollars) is expensive, then you probably live somewhere else than Finland :P

But then again, is that the company's problem? I could bet my head off that they are doing their best to please everyone, but that's just impossible. Yep, I've got an android tablet, but I don't like to play with the touch screen so actually I'm exactly in the same position that you are.
  • @lisko I have Android based phone. But I like to play on a big screen. And one more thing in Android, iOS is annoying ads. The only one thing I like in Android & iOS AB is MIGHTY EAGLE.
    But I did not hope mighty eagle will come to PC.
  • @Lisko No the $5 is not expensive and to me that is inexpensive for a game, but since I can't afford a tablet getting the updates at the same time as android would be nice.
  • @3star-jeff, Like I already said I prefer playing on PC. Yes I've got all the latest updates on my tablet but still I just want to play on PC and I'm also waiting for the updates to land on PC, but not yet. That's nice if you've got money to buy a game, 'cause if the game was a bit cheaper but every update would cost 1€, I think I would pass at that point. 1€ isn't enough to get a litre of milk from the store. Yeah, I like that "pay once" -system 'cause it's much easier to pay 20€ on payday :)
  • I paid $5 for my PC version which can be installed 4 times on PC but only have one PC.
    I also play for free on my android tablet, although I had to pay $1 to get rid of the worst of the ads (all the Rovio stuff is still there, but at least I'm not getting interrupted mid-fling by other stupid rubbish). I'd happily have paid $20 for a guaranteed-no-ads version which could be loaded on both PC and android.

I hate the whole ad-supported approach. I don't want to see ads - ever - and if I can't afford to pay for something I prefer to do without. Ads just make me annoyed with the company which is forcing them on me. Rovio, please consider offering a yearly or monthly paid ad-free access to everything.
  • It has now been 7 weeks since any update for the PC. That is a long time.
  • @3star-jeff, Amen to that! To pass the time I've been replaying older episodes, but I'm bored with seeing layouts I already know by heart, so I need an Update soon or I'll go even crazier than I already am.
  • To all frustrated PC users:

Mac has received both the Rio (v1.6.1) and Seasons (v3.2.0) updates. As Mac users are typically MORE "neglected" than PC users, I would expect to see the PC update within a couple of days. In my opinion, nice to give Mac users some TLC.
  • Okay, couple of days ago I sent an e-mail to Rovio about the PC updates...Just asking if there will be any updates anymore. Just a moment ago I got a reply: They wrote me in finnish so I'll try to translate the mail as good as possible, here it goes:

"Hi Linda and thank you for contacting us.

We are doing our best to release the updates for all platforms as fair as we can. Unofrtunately sometimes delays appear and that's why we can't tell the exact dates for updates for different platforms.

There's no need to get worried, you'll get the Rio update for PC for sure, but we just can't tell the exact date when it comes.

Best regards,
    Antti
    Rovio Support Team"

I hope this helps at least a little :) I really can't complain about their wor, 'cause they've always been answering pretty quick and I've gotten the answers that I need so I believe that the guy is really telling the truth :)
  • Thanks for the update Lisko. There is still hope. i agree that Rovio has always been above board when responding. :-)
  • Thank you @lisko and slim's right about Mac, they've always been the last to get anything, so no more complaining about PC updates from me, when they're ready we'll be ready. I just hope that we get the last 15 levels of ABO Bad Piggies first.
  • I just hope we get something soon. (sorry, had to put my 2 cents worth in for my fellow PCers). (:
  • Rovio told me in an email to be patient updates will come (I would say 2 months is very patient) that they don't give update timeframes because that puts them under pressure. I don't understand this when if they released all platforms at the same time people wouldn't be expecting updates. Also instead of realeasing all kinds of updates for ios devices why they first don't get the updates done for other platforms. Also bug fixes are done in a day, so why do PC updates take months.
  • Bug fixes are minor tweaks to code. Full releases are far more difficult.
  • I wrote a handy little batch file that will check for updates for all of your Angry Bird games. Using @brave1966 information. You can then check all the programs with just double clicking an icon. If anyone is interested let me know and I will copy the code so you can create your own. It should only take a couple minutes.
  • if you are a PC user & are impatient like I am, download "blue stacks" emulator... allows you to play android apps on PC,,,,, also really helps your scoreboard standings as you do not have to leave a big fat zero for bonus levels that are never going to be available for PC.
  • I have bluestacks and it´s good. But I have to star over from the beginning. I can´t find the .lua files.
  • true, but I just blow thru levels not worrying about scores to get to bonus screens,,,,
  • Seasons 3 update now out. However, when I downloaded the update, all the files didn't load and got an error message.
  • @MaryMarvey A few users have reported this. It APPEARS that everything is ok with the install, despite this message. The new levels appear properly.
  • @AMslimfordy My shortcut no longer links but I can access it under my Rovio programs. I'm not sure what levels have been added, however. Do you have info on what levels have been added? Thanks bunches.
  • @MaryMarvey and @AMslimfordy, the same thing happened to me, but I noticed that Rovio made a new folder in my Program Files x86 directory and also added a new Desktop shortcut. Also for PC's, we only get 6 Bonus levels since the other 2 are based on the ME which we don't get.
  • @WereWolf69, I see that now (after I already created a shortcut). So, we waited this long for those 6 little teaser levels? I don't want to seem ungrateful, but, really? LOL
  • The Seasons update for mobile was 8 levels. Not much missing. Full update coming soon.
  • @MaryMarvey, Actually after an almost 2 month wait, I'm grateful that we got something to play with, now rather than replaying older levels, I replay the new ones hoping for better scores.
  • @AMslimfordy @WereWolf69
    I downloaded the update and installed it. But there is no any kind of problem with me. I does not get any message on screen. The changes in this update are new 6 bonus levels, new Icon with rovio logo like iOS & Android , new splash title background. It worked correctly. I am using windows 8 pro.
  • @AMslimfordy How you got info. that full update is coming soon ?
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!