For or Against Power UPS in Angry Birds Original/Seasons/Rio/Space/Star Wars!? Page 9
  • 711 Comments
  • IMO, the only thing distinguishing scores will do is provide proof of how the score was obtained. I believe that power ups still make a mockery of the 3 star thresholds.

What would be really cool is if they show your 2 scores on the level. The non power up score and the power up score. But I highly doubt that Rovio will do this. Not enough real estate on the screen to do this. That way there would be no doubt as to whether power ups were used or not.

If the Nest plans on creating 2 leaderboards, a non power up one and a power up one, I may consider using them. If there is no distiction (sp?) on if they are used, I, personally will not use them.
  • @sparty83 I think that main purpouse of PUPs are getting high scores not just getting three stars on level. What makes me angry and sad are top scores obtaied with power ups that are mixed with normal on leaderbroads. And you are absolutely right for Big Set Up and meaningless of top scores leaderbroads. I played just one level with pups on my phone and get more then 70k higher score then regular playing on iPad and that is more then 60k above top score submitted on the Nest.
  • Yes @AMSlimfordy that sounds good :-)
  • Real AB players fight for better scores just by pushing their skills to the edge. (OK, with a little luck.)
    Power-ups are for the weaklings.

Enough said.
  • @bullet

You say it and bring it on the Point!!!
  • Suffice it to say that I am very disappointed that Rovio has chosen to do nothing with the AB power-up issue and scoring with this most recent update. Very disappointing.
  • @chaostsar

Yes i hoped also for a changing in next Update but nothing Else. Really shame!!!!
  • i am for power ups because they make the game easier and more cooler
  • Pukki - What's point of making game easier? It might be cool when you know how to make the most possible damage with power ups but only if it is new game in game making difference between scores that are results of using power ups and those without power ups. There should be achievements for power ups users too (like they are going to introduce in upcoming ABSp update).
  • $49.90 price tag in Facebook Star Wars you have got to be kidding me. And its not even unlimited forever, only for 6 months. Rovio you need to really look at where your headed here. Your prices keep going up and up and as a loyal fan that has been here since day 1 feels taken advantage of.

You've see posts on here about the main issue with powerups is the inability to differentiate between scores of people that used power ups and you've done nothing about it. All you have done is focus more on adding more powerups to your games with higher price tags.

To top it off everyone and their mother has been asking for iCloud support since day 1 and you still ignore that feature. Just listen to your fans for once, they are the ones that got you here.

Hopefully year 3 will be used to fix these things that fans have been asking for rather than putting more "feelers" out there to scoop up money.
  • @lostgreybird. Exactly what i think about. I am looking sometimes to the ABO Leaderboards. Some scores are facked. I am sure the Most place 1 Ranks are Power Up Scores. Hopefully ROVIO change something in future :-(
  • Rovio is doing to the original Angry Birds what George Lucas did to the original Star Wars trilogy. Say NO to power ups!
  • I can't believe what ROVIO is doing. In the Daily New Rio Update they also add Power Ups. I can't believe what a shame !!!!
  • Rovio has officially made power-ups a part of the Angry Birds franchise and there's nothing we can really do about it. ABN's leaderboards will have to conform to it.
  • Of course, let's think about this: $50 for CRYSTALS?!? For REAL?!?
  • Another game ruined...that's it...I'm very close to just being done forever with this...
  • When i see the Power Ups in future also in Space Seasons and Star Wars. I will stop playing. Unbelievable ROVIO. A step closer to earn money. Maybe they can bring Out a new game for next year which is called Angry Users !!

Pfffffff
  • CC Jolly: TBH, they are ALREADY earning money. With the launch of Angry Birds Friends, they, in my opinion, thought that adding powerups can be a new way to earn money along the ME in-app purchase and the purchasing of full games.

I'm pretty sure that they might expand the powerups in each game to earn EVEN MORE money.
  • They sure will. I'm still shocked that Seasons hasn't been taken over yet.
  • I'm still for PU's! but sad that ROVIO hasn't learned to separate scores
  • Let's hope Seasons will not get powerups in an update or so.
  • When they were first introduced I thought they will be sort of game in game differing scores and achievements and actually I thought they might be cool as well as creative. Then I realized nothing of I thought would happen and that pups are only source of big cash for Rovio. I decided never buy them, collect them on iPad and try those that I get for free them on phone. I thought that after first negative reactions from public that Rovio will review their business decision and will not introduce them at least in Space which is different from ABO, ABR and ABS. IO was dissappointed when I saw them in Space, that's pitty. They ruined my favorite game.
    Yes, they will introduce them in ABSW, I don't play games on FB but as far as I know in ABSW for FB there already power ups and we may only expect to see them in next update for mobile devces (and maybe PC).
    Be it with or without pups I wouldn't stop playing Rovio's games because they are really great in each single detail but I will never pay any penny or cent for them.
  • And you too can purchase the Rio "Best Value" bundle for only $39.99 on iOS. If you're a sucker.

Gaming companies have a name for people who buy stuff like this: whales. Don't be a whale.

I am liking Rovio less and less. I am particularly peeved how they didn't bother to include a way to disable the power-ups like they did in ABO. Has anyone found a way to disable these in Rio?
  • @chaostsar

Right!! And the best is if you want you can earn this Power Ups for Free when you go to settings and change the day on your device. Ridiculous the whole :-) Angry Users should Play Angry Birds pfffgg
  • This is getting more ridiculous. It's better buying, for example, a copy of Minecraft for 20€ instead of buying a pile of useless cheats for €40… You save half price for a game instead of additional content for an already paid game. And guess what benefits it gives, buying these cheats! NONE!
  • AB is getting a very very expensive game this way, just look at the price to pay for the Power ups, its a shame Rovio is making the money this way. Yes i know its your own choice to buy or not. Facebook levels are free but you can spend hundreds of dollars for the PU.
    Yes i used some PU but now in almost all the games you can PU.
    Where is this Rovio money pit end.
    An very angry AB addict.
  • Just rename this For or Against Power Ups Period because these are the future of all games. This is a trend they are sticking with.

• Power-ups are fun, but there are two main problems:
    1. You don't have unlimited use. Most power-ups are not free, but in fact very expensive.
    2. It is very easy to 3 star a level by using power-ups. So people who can 3 star a level without power-ups should be rewarded in some way.
  • Most people who contribute I think would agree that Powerups would have been fine if ROVIO chose to handle them correctly. They put revenue in front of customer satisfaction which historically is ALWAYS a losing battle. Rovio used to market themselves as best value for the money. I remember their updates coming with comments implying nobody else took better care of their customers. Now, not so much.

Put your customers first and the revenue will follow. Put revenue first and you'll be chasing your customers.
  • I was devastated when they took my AB original away by implementing the Power ups, now they attacked Rio, if they do this to Season, I am really going to call it quits. I have spend a year and a half, 3 to 5 hours a day to reach the top 25 of AB seasons leader board and Game Centre, not to mention the video walkthroughs, which will become obsolete when the Power Ups can get you the same if not better result.

I have bought all versions on iPhone, Ipad and Mac, so it's not that I don't want to pay for my games, cause I do and did... Power ups make the playing field uneven, giving the rich the advantage and I don't like this one bit. I guess when Season is targeted, I am done with AB... hope The Nest will keep the Bloated Pig open for a drink and to meet my Nestie friends, cause that will be the only reason for me to keep coming to the nest.

And amen to SuicideSolution... they will be chasing me if they continue this path. One thing is for sure, they will never catch me again if I start running!
  • Power Ups are in ABO and Rio now.
    PU's are in the Facebook version of SW, so I expect them to show up in the mobile SW apps.
    I believe it is only a matter of time until they are put into Seasons. I think they gave us one last hurrah with PU-free Halloween and Christmas. I expect PU's to be in the next Seasons update.
    The surveys meant nothing. They must be making good money with the PU's or they would not risk alienating their fan base.

$ > fans.

It was fun while it lasted.
  • When I saw power ups in rio I was very disappointed and there is no feature to get rid off the power ups like in ABO.
  • Just STOP Rovio.

STOP.

PLEASE.

We have lives outside of Angry Birds that require good money as well. Just... make it stop.
  • There go half your fans, Rovio. Great job.
  • I guess what I fail to understand is why the anger towards Rovio for including the powerup options. No one is making you buy them, Slim and others do a great job of policing the leaderboards.

They still offer loads of updates, free of charge, with some additional facets of gameplay should you choose to buy them.
  • I think most of the anger towards Rovio is the following.

1) the cost seems a bit high. Especially in the latest RIO update
    2) No way of distinguishing if a score was obtained with or without power ups
    3) To the Purist, myself included, power ups make a mockery of the 3 star thresholds. Just go to ABO, Big Setup. Using the Super Seeds and King sling makes almost all of those level a joke!. And there are several levels where just a birdquake will clear it, making those levels jokes.

It's been stated that Rovio reads these posts. IMO, that's all they are doing, reading. Unless the admins here have heard from Rovio, they have been pretty quiet on the subject.

It's also my opinion that most of the people here are the more dedicated bird players, and that we only represent a very small portion of the world wide AB users. That being said, it appears that Rovio may be pandering to the masses to make an easy game even easier.
  • @frozndevl... the Game Centre doesn't have the difference in the scores, so now I am 29 of the 4,505,778 people playing Seasons HD... That took a LOT of time and it sure as *bliep* ruine the fun for me if someone with a lot of cash jumps to the top within a week!
  • true to that Sparty! Maybe BirdLeader can come up with a plan, cause I think the main focus on this site is 3 starring and giving walkthroughs... if 3 starring will become easy and the topscore players will drop out, guess there will be a drop in visitors to this website as well if they turn every AB game into a kindergarten 3 star play
  • @e-star

I don't use iDevices, so I don't have access to Game Centre. Regardless, I would say the boards here have more integrity so I am more pleased when I do well relative to our fellow nesters.

Also, to everyone out there, if what other people do bothers you so much, it might be worth taking a step back and evaluating that feeling. I get that way too, but if someone wants to "buy" their way to the top score, yeah it sucks, but it doesn't diminish my overall accomplishments or the fun I have.

@sparty83

1) So, don't buy anything. They are optional purchases.
    2) I will give you that, but it seems like they are making strides if we are to believe what Slim has put up in his testing.
    3) If powerups make a mockery of the 3* threshold, what does it matter? See my point above, if others use powerups to get it, good for them. If you choose to do it "naked", good for you.

And with a general comment, Rovio's job isn't to make us happy, it is to make money. And yes, the two may coincide but they aren't required to go together.
  • @frozndevl Well good for you you can take that step back, really, I wish I could, but the hours I have spend reaching this point makes it to hard for me to let go of the need to get a great score. Sure I like the fact I am 10th place in Seasons on the leader board and I love this site for that, but that only compares myself to 3,128 other users and not the millions of others that haven't visited this site and submit their scores.

As for playing naked, while others dress up in the power ups... guess that boils down to the same battle of not being able to stand back. I got pulled in by this game cause of the competition with all players in the whole world... not just a part of them.

O well, I guess you either get this feeling it gives me or you don't... clearly you don;t and I only commend you for being able to still see the fun in the game after spending (I presume) a lot of hours reaching the scores that you want.
  • @frozndevl -- For me, the anger comes from putting in an obscene amount of time and effort since the games were introduced years ago to become proficient at ABO and ABRio, and then years later, Rovio comes along and changes all of the rules of the game. All of the time and effort I put in have been instantly made meaningless by Rovio. That high score I worked so hard at getting? Meaningless. That wickedly difficult level to three-star that I felt such a sense of accomplishment getting? Also meaningless. Those leaderboards that I worked so hard at to beat all averages? Meaningless (caveat on this below).

Hey, now I have two meaningless AB games on my iPhone. Just cannot wait for Rovio to make the remaining games meaningless, too.

A word about the leaderboards -- I do trust that Birdleader and AMSlimfordy have done all that they can to keep suspicious scores off of the ABO leaderboards, but I still look at top scores and average scores differently. There is always a nagging suspicion that we are not all playing on a level playingfield, and that nagging feeling is not going to go away no matter how vigilant the admins are. Rovio has made top scoring available to the idiot with the most money to blow on power-ups, and I do not like that gaming model one single bit.
  • I have stated this before and I will state it again.

I got my smart phone in April of 2011. The VERY first thing I downloaded was Angry Birds (original). I have since, downloaded every version/update that has been put out. In May of 2011, I was having difficulty trying to 3 star a level. I went to the web, youtube to be specific, to find help. Thats where I found Angry Birds Nest. I signed up and have come here almost every day since.

To me, the "Nest" serves 3 (and a minor 4th) purposes.
    1) The Leaderboards
    2) 3 star walkthroughs
    3) Mighty Eagle walkthroughs.
    4) The forums and comment areas on the walkthroughs.

With there being no distinction of how a score was obtained, its very easy for a user now to use power ups and get 3 stars and above average score. Even a high score if it's close enough to the previous without raising suspicion. I totally agree with @ChaosTsar, between April of 2011 and August of 2013, I knew I was competing on a level playing field with everyone here. NO MORE. All the work I put into getting 3 stars and above average scores are meaningless now. It's too easy for a "newbie" to pass me. I don't have the greatest scores so passing me wouldn't raise as much suspicion as if they were to pass Manu Malin.

I also totally agree with you @frozndevl, that Rovio is in business to make money. iOS users have to pay a very small price to play AB. Android users (like myself) don't have to pay a single cent. For android, it's completely free, but ad supported. (guess I needed to click on a few more ads). It just seems that the prices are continuely (sp?) going up.

iOS users have the Game Center to compare their scores against others with. Android does not. (iOS users also have a long list of achievements that they can gain that Android users dont, but thats a different vent) I am guessing that the reason so many iOS users post their scores here is because of the vigilant work of the admins to keep the leader boards legit, unlike some of the stories I have heard about game center hacks. We all post our scores here to see how we compare to others. Some are more competitive than others. Otherwise, what's the point of the leaderboards?

And to expand a bit on @ChaosTsar point of changing the rules. Ask yourself this (and this is directed to all ABN users, not one specific person). Lets say that the Nest started to charge for posting scores. Or charging for each walkthrough viewed? Even if it were something small, like say $.10 per score post and $.01 for each view? I have 1593 scores posted here and cant even calculate how may views. If the Nest became a pay to play site, how fast would a majority of people here leave? Or even worse, how about paying a "fee" of say, $1.00 for each high score that can't be proven?
    (please don't get any ideas Slim)
  • @frozndvl - My view was the same as yours until this week. In the last 2 weeks...

1) we've seen some evidence that PUs are coming to the next update in Space
    2) PUs were included in Facebook Star Wars which means the mobile version isn't far behind
    3) PUs were added to Rio
    4) They are coming to Seasons. They have to be. I wonder if they haven't come yet because there are so many levels & themes which may take longer.

I agree that they are a business and the goal is to make money. Although, I think Rovio handled this situation entirely wrong. They haven't listened to fans AT ALL.

Goal #1 is always to make money in a business, but a GREAT business gives the "appearance" of caring about their fans/customers more than money. I think Rovio just failed at this for 3 reasons.

1) Since ABO got PUs there was an uproar on here about not being able to distinguish between with or without scores. I'd say I was 1 out of 2 people saying exactly what you're saying now (just go back in this thread). The addition of PUs to Facebook SW & Rio WITHOUT A WAY TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN SCORES is like a slap in the face to loyal Rovio fans who thought they were listening.

2) The second highest complaint about AB which can be seen by the hundreds of negative reviews on the App Store is the lack of an in app save, sync or iCloud support feature. Come on Rovio its almost 2013, you think my parents should be downloading DiskAid finding the lau file and saving their progress regularly on their computer? It's a joke considering how popular your app is! This shows again that Rovio has decided to ignore fans & spend time and resources developing PUs (which people are hardly screaming for) instead of developing a system that brand new, current, & longtime customers have been asking for since playing their first level.

3) ABN is by far the #1 AB news site on the internet with a very loyal fan base. I'd actually go as far as saying that ABN loyalty is stronger than Rovio loyalty for most users on here. If I were an admin I'd be so frustrated with Rovio right now. The admins have developed a wonderful leader board that is easily #1 feature for the majority of people that come to this site. I'm not a score guy but damaging the integrity of those boards will probably cause a drop in traffic to the site.

(On a side note to admins I'm starting to wonder if Rovio is trying to "keep you guys in check" a little bit. A couple things this year have caused me to think "conspiracy theory". Such as that random AB Roost, this PU fiasco, and that time they only released levels on a certain Android Device while it's pretty common knowledge that you guys all use iOS devices. I could tell that left you guys scrambling to get walkthroughs up)

I've been a loyal/addicted fan since day 1 and have actually been looking for a way out. I think think my boat just arrived and I'll be able to play less religiously now.
  • I totally agree with most of the other Nesters on this board. I'm not happy with the PUs either. The PU bar also gets really annoying every time it opens right up on reset when I'm trying to play and I have to remember to wait so I can minimize it before I try to pull the bird back on the sling. It is also quite frustrating when working hard to get 3 stars and then working harder to get a higher score - but THAT is the spirit of competition. That whole notion has been busted hard by addition of the PowerUps to the mobile version of the games. I really wish Rovio had just left it for the web versions such as on Facebook and Google Chrome. They are kind of fun I suppose but most of us avoid using them when playing on our devices so we can 'honestly' post our scores on AB Nest with a good conscience. Our wonderful Administrators/Moderators for AB Nest DO work really hard to keep the site up to date - even around their normal 'day jobs'. It has to be daunting to try and conceive a way to add a new column or Leaderboard area for users to post TWO different scores - one the good old fashioned way; and the other using the crazy PUs. Then....how would anyone ensure integrity even with allowing for two different score postings? This is nearly impossible to do. Plus, we should still wonder about some of the incredibly HIGH scores as to whether they were won with or without using the PowerUps… That is my two-cents worth.
  • This kind of reminds me of another story of a promising game ruined by money.

JamLegend was a on-browser music game which was launched in fall of 2008. For those who never heard of this, this was basically Guitar Hero/Rock Band played on a browser. It featured lots of (lesser known) songs and extensive multiplayer battles. But the gem that actually attracted players is the fact that it was FREE. Just sign up and you're on to play. I was hooked to this after I saw my cousin playing.

(Have a look at the trailer.)

But since its launch, most of the demanded additional features (e.g. more instruments (only guitars available), favourite list, overdrive) were ignored, if not implemented too late. Instead the mods put up the infamous VIP privileges. They wanted players to PAY so as to get the best experiences of playing the game. So ads started flooding in for non-VIPs, then the exclusive right to VIP to open multiplayer battles. This already indicates that the mods had been corrupted by money.

Then one day, the mods decided that everyone could only play 3 songs per day for free, and would have to PAY for more plays. THIS WAS TOTALLY AGAINST WHAT THEY HAD PROMISED AT THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE LAUNCH. (See the trailer again if you want.) The players were all baffled, and so they left. JamLegend finally closed down on 29 April 2011.

I have sensed the same feeling of Rovio being corrupted by money right now, just like JamLegend was. Only that the AB franchise is globally famous now. If Rovio insists on focusing on money, I'm afraid AB would end up closed just like JamLegend.

Which sucks bad. We do not need yet another illustration of the saying, "History repeats itself."
  • I am so disgusted with Rovio. I started playing AB July '12 and loved it without the friggin Powerups. I had planned on playing (and buying) other versions when I finally exhaust myself with AB Classic, but with this STUPID Powerups issue, I am finished with AB and any other Rovio game. Sigh...
  • If Rovio now is only thinking of money with out PU is enough, normal ver 0.99, HD 2.99, PC 4.95 × nowaday a million player and andriod with ads plus ios and andriod ME/SE 0.99 IAP is already alot of income.

Why there not just develop update faster for slow platform, example MAC, WP instead just develop old game with PU.

New ABSW IAP on both platform seem is too expensive from prev app
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!