For or Against Power UPS in Angry Birds Original/Seasons/Rio/Space/Star Wars!? Page 7
  • 711 Comments
  • Someone please tell me why I am the only person on this site that's not against powerups! I just do not see the problem! If it's because they cost money, lemme tell ya! I have over 100 of each powerup in ABF and never spent a dime! At one point I'd play ABF everyday and got 5 powerups a day, they eventually started adding up and voila! I personally like powerups because I feel they offer a new gameplay mode (sort of like ME). But seriously, I do not see why they're so bad! They tamper with scores, yes, but is such a ruckus as this necessary?
  • I'm also not against then @ABFG
  • @AngryBirdsFanGuy438. Let me put it this way. I got my smart phone in April of 2011. The VERY first thing I downloaded was Angry Birds (original). In the 16 months or so that I have been playing, I have spent countless hours to get the scores I have. I am not the best, but I have put in a LOT of time getting the scores I have. I am proud that I have 3 starred every level I have played. I freely admit that I did have a difficult time on some levels getting the 3 stars. I was searching the net looking for help and found this site. With the help of the walk throughs I have gotten the 3 stars for every level. (and no, I don't use the walkthroughs for every level, just the ones I get stuck on).
    Now Rovio comes out with an update that has power ups. Now players don't need to spend very much time working on a level to 3 star it. They dont have to try and figure out different strategies to get higher scores. In fact, there are levels where you don't even have to use a bird, just the Bird Quake power up to clear it. By doing that, you are given a 10k bonus over everyone else who had to fling at least one bird. Again, I will bring up the example of Poached Eggs 1-2. Before power ups, it is a one birder with a score around 61k. With power ups, just bird quake it and get 70k no problem. Where is the skill. It just dumbs down the original (IMO).

Also, It's not that everyone is against power ups in general, they are mostly against them in the original game. If Rovio had come out with a new version or a seperate version, a way to keep the power up scores separate from the non power up scores, then most people wouldn't be as upset.
  • @angrybirdsfanguy438 it's already how @sparty83 said. I am Not agains them in Web Games or in Mini Games. Only for the Original App. I also played for a Long Time getting 3 Stars in all Levels and now they add them ...
    I hope you can accept also our opinions !!
  • @angrybirdsfanguy438 let power ups, no metter free or paid, stay only for Facebook and web moni games, like @CC Jolly said.
    I strongly believe that Rovio did consider people's complament after introducing power ups in ABO so they didn't add them to Seasons update. I hope they will never add them to any of their mobile games again and they will find way to differente scoores with power ups from those without power ups.
    Introducing any of power ups to Angry Birds Space would literally kill that marvelous game, at least to me.
    And notice to administrators, isn't that video add for Samsung? As I can remember when I only mentioned free Danger Zone for Samsung my comment was deleted. Feel free to remove this part of comment after deleting video.
  • @angrybirdsfanguy438 you are not alone. I actually like Pups now. I wasn't really in favor of them when they hit Facebook and then when I saw it was added to ABO intially I was surprised. After thinking about it for a bit, Pups are just the natural progression of AB, they add a pretty impressive replay value.

I have found this out personally by using my 100s of freely acquire one in ABF (similar to you). I have been through each ABO level 10x's prior to ABF (because of my own stupidity of not saving data) and going through Poached Eggs and Mighty Hoax in ABF this time felt like an entirely new game. My approach completely changed from my typical analysis of structure, pigs, and bird order to looking for weakness that a certain Pup combined with a particular bird could exploit. I actually ran out of Pups and am waiting for more freebies to finish all levels with them rather than completing the level again in the same manner I have 10x's before.

The Leaderboards and scoring system pre/post Pup completion definitely needs to be differentiated but everyone has talked about that already. IMO thats the only negative to them.

I am actually looking forward to the day they add them to the other games. They won't "destroy" them, they will mess up leaderboards such as on ABN, but they will in no way ruin the game itself because ultimately you have the choice to use them or not to use them. They even give you the option to turn them off at the home screen if you can't handle having to say no every time they pop up at the top of each level.

Lastly, IMO the most frustrating aspect of Pups is that there is no way for me to get more free Pups for every time someone that complains about them gets a free one.
  • i 100% agree with @lostgreybird
  • Me too @angryboy! I love powerups, and really hope they're added to the other games!

@sparty83 I don't see why that's such a problem. You don't HAVE to use powerups. You can still 3-star levels the old fashioned way! Sorry, but I really don't see your point. Maybe it's because I haven't 3-starred all levels.
  • The biggest problem is that there is no distinction between scores with and scores sans power-ups.
  • @angrybirdsfanguy438
    It's just how @amslimfordy said. The 3 Stars aren't the Big probleme. Some Users Play the Angry Birds games since 2 years and it was always fair playing and now they adds Power Ups. I See no probleme with them on Facebook but it was more Fun and interesting without them. It was a Little Bit harder work and now it's a Form of cheating in my eyes. Sorry my opinion!! And thats also what @sparty83 seems to say. For new Users who download Angry Birds Original it seems to be Great Using PUPs but the older Generation maybe Not!! The Proplemes will be solved if ROVIO add a separate Score on Screen using Power UPS (different Color). You also have to see the Hard work of the admins here. They have to change maybe a lot here on NEST in future (also separate ordering of Scores in Leadebords). At Moment you can't say wich Scores are played with or without Power UPS :-(

It's only a Discussion and everyone can submit his own opinion! Keep cool!
  • Personally, I am against them, because if no-one has power-ups it's a level playing field. You would know the scores posted on the Leader Boards were obtained through a players ability to 'play the game' rather than relying on a bigger, better catapult, or a Super Huge Bird that's been force fed! I've played everything I can on Facebook, and in the beginning I did use them, but now I have such a large collection I wish I could 'sell them' somewhere!

I'm only just getting 'into' Angry Birds Space (bought it yesterday 25/08), and I love the fact that the scores I've earned have been done without any Power ups. I feel elated when I get a really high score by working out a strategy to 'get them piggies'
  • @kelvarda you're right nicly said!!!
  • I am not happy with the power-up upgrade, lets hope it doesn't drift into the other games. One possible sweetner would be if you used one power-up on a level your score would end in 1 and if you used two it would end in 2 etc. That way we could tell the assisted scores from the traditional scores.
  • Like Sparty, I thought I'd bump this thread back up to make sure it does not get buried too deep.

This to the admins: has Rovio spoken out, either publicly or privately about any plans they have to distinguish PU scores from non-PU scores?

There appear to be only a few voices in favor of PUs at all, and I think even those individuals can agree that the PU scores need to be kept separate.

So far the PUs have been kept out of the other games (through the BTS and RP updates). Here's hoping that things remain this way.
  • We have nothing to report at this time.
  • Hopefully you get Information soon about this @amslimfordy !!!
  • There is a survey on PUs in ABO accessible on the pause screen, at least on ABS. Please register your opinion.
  • Just Seen it @mvnla2
    Thanks for information. I think the First step is done !!!
  • I try to Open it but it doesn't work at Moment !? :-(
  • @Mvnla2 I noticed that survey yesterday while I was playing ABS but every time I tried to access it was bussy. However i haven't tried today. I am curious what they asked.
  • @cc jolly, the link you provided is for your personal response. I did click on it and it took me to your result page with out the option to cast my own vote.
  • that survey was set up very well, @sparty @CCjolly you can't link your survey answers
  • CC Jolly: As sparty said, that is your personal link (if you read it, it specifically says so and includes "Do Not Share"), so it has been removed.

@all: I can't find a generic link, so unfortunately you will have to wait until Rovio adds one elsewhere.
  • Ok Sorry @amslimfordy @sparty83 and @angryperson for this mistake :-(

• I completed survey and I wonder what would be Rovio's answer to public opinion. I storngly hope that majority is against power ups as people here are. Oh please, please Rovio don't ruin Angry Birds Space with power ups, don't introduce in app purchases any stuffs for any other game including Amazing Alex and coming Bad Piggies.
  • Yes hopefully Not @cosmo2503

I don't think Rovio adds Pups in further Updates in Seasons, Rio and Space. They read this Thread and i don't think they do something wear the large Part is against !!!
  • I just took their survey, this is what I told them (posting it here because I know they read these threads):

I will NEVER use power ups in the original. They came in more than a year after I started and 3 starred every level. I play quite a lot to improve my scores. Now the power ups seem like a cheat to get higher scores. Since android does not have an equivelant to game center i use angrybirdsnest to log my scores and to see how i compare to others. That is almost ruined now because of power ups. It would have been better to have released a whol new game if you wanted to use power ups. Again, i will never use them because I think it takes away from the original game and not because they cost money. (i do know that you do get a free one each day)
  • @sparty83
    I wrote nearly the same to the survey. Cool very Good Job. I think we will getting a step closer finding a Way for Future soon. Hopefully we get News as soon as possible. Thanks!!
  • @all -- I also had to try opening the survey more than once to get it. Must be busy; hope they are getting an earful against PUs. Most of the survey is about PUs, ask things like how long you have played ABO, other AB games you play; did you buy them; have you bought any in-game purchases for any game, etc.
  • Yes @mvnla2

The questions are really interesting!!

I think ROVIO have a good ulterior motives with the survey!! In future i am looking forward that we will surprised. I don't give Power Ups a Chance for Future. The dies :-)
  • @all -- Survey accessible from pause screen on all main AB games: ABO, ABR, ABS, ABSp. Make sure postman is smiling so you get the ads.
  • They needed to do this survey BEFORE the power ups were introduced. I would agree with the results and "live" with the PUs if they were overwhelmingly wanted by the users. But by the results of this thread, I doubt that would have happened.

Still, it would have been better if they left the AB Original original and introduced the PUs in a seperate app.
  • Yes you're right @sparty83
  • Survey done :)

This is what I wrote (sorry for the length, don't know when to stop talking hahaha LOL):

I am a hardcore player. I started Angry Birds Seasons HD and now I am number 21 of the almost 4 million players in the Apple Game Centre. I also make walkthrough videos to help my fellow Angry Birds Friends at AngryBirdsNest.com. In the last year this has been a hugh part of my life, hours and hours are spend trying to get a better score. Because I have done all the Seasons level, I started to play and make videos of the next best AB game, AB original. I was having so much fun and got much gratitude of all my friends at AngryBirdsNest.com. After the power ups where put in place, my role as helping hand to get a high score without the help of anything other than the famous birds, was gone instantly. I was deeply deeply disappointed and closed Angry Birds Original instantly to never open it again. Luckily the updates of Seasons didn't have the dreaded power ups, so I still can be a helping hand and great player in Seasons. If there isn't going to be a change in the score system I will stay away from Angry birds Original and move on to Rio or Space. But unfortunately they don't have the same appeal as Original and Seasons have.

I bought all my versions of Angry Birds and don't mind it one bit. Even didn't bother me that Dangerzone was a paid section in the Space game. So the not use of power ups isn't a money thing for me. but it's does create an uneven playing field. People that have a lot of money can easily get a great scores and people that don't have a lot to spend are doomed to wait for free power ups and will hardly get the chance to reach the top.

That's why I clearly think the Power up implementation in Angry Bird Original it the worst thing ever!
  • strang, I said the exact opposite- I find the power-ups are a great addition, but the only thing that I don't like about it is the cost, it should be .99¢ per power-up for unlimited use
  • Rovio has received much criticism for adding Power-Ups in Angry Birds Original! They must learn from this disaster! They must think before they update a game!
  • is it possible for ROVIO to remove the PU's from the game?
  • I don't think so...

People have bought Power-Ups! Then they lose money! It is like throwing money in the toilet!
  • good point!
  • Yes @mufc
    Rovio Can't delete the Power Ups from Game. I am really interesting what comes in future. I think ROVIO owes us a Big surprise Update!!

@e-star
    You bring it on the point :-) Thx
  • As I'm sure Rovio monitor these discussions I thought I'd better weigh in. I'm a seasons player and always have been. Though I've flirted with the other games, the challenge of seasons greatly appeals to me. Since becoming an ABN member, this appeal is made greater by competing on the leader boards and sharing strategies. I became a score hunter after watching videos on YouTube from the likes of @yuriyiolkin and iTJ84. These guys showed me what was possible and I've never looked back since. And now Rovio will completely undermine the two years of my life I've devoted to the game. If power ups join the seasons ranks it'll be foley200 over and out!
  • Ps I don't mind paying for updates one bit. I've been spoiled with the amount of content I've got for 79c
  • @foley200

I dont think ROVIO will add them to Seasons after this discussions. The read the Thread and they start a survey about Power Ups. I am looking forward to a future without them :-)
  • But if Rovio makes the Power-Ups as a new challenge like the Mighty Eagle, I will use them!
  • How do you mean this @mufc
    Do you think they will replace the Power Ups instead of the Mighty Eagle ? For me it would be a Bad step return value from ROVIO using Power Ups for getting Total Destruction :-(
  • You don't understand me @CC Jolly!

I mean that if they make the Power-Ups like the Mighty Eagle you can not get feathers but maybe you can get something like "Power-Ups destruction"! They don't replace the Mighty Eagle, they make new challege! When the Mighty Eagle become availble on iOS (now it is new on Android) it was a new challege!

Hope you understand this! :)
  • I agree @MUFC. I was thinking the same thing when they came out. The lightning bolt appears next to your score after you complete the level. If they could just translate that to being next to the feather on the level select screen I would feel the need to complete all levels with lightning bolts just like I did the feathers.

Its just a matter of time before they come to seasons. I figure Rovio is just streamlining the experience to appease the masses. I really can't wait for them. I thought the first Halloween episode was the hardest of the Seasons and can think of a few levels I'd like to use them on.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!