For or Against Power UPS in Angry Birds Original/Seasons/Rio/Space/Star Wars!? Page 10
  • 711 Comments
  • I understand this is a good way for Rovio to continue a revenue stream after they've sold their product, since for the majority I think new levels and updates look like they're free. I get that, but give us a way to turn the blasted things off if they have to be included in the game. All right, it may not take a long time to dismiss the power-up bar n Rio, but every single time you restart a level? I've been careful not to touch any items on the bar yet, but does anyone know what happens if you are out of power-ups? Does the bar come up, and if it does, if you tap an item are you prompted to get more power-ups?

At least there's a distinction between Eagle/Dragon/Falcon scores and power-ups. It can't be that big a jump to include a way to distinguish scores in this system, from those made without using power-ups...

I also get that Rovio is developing its approach, so there will be inconsistencies, but I can't get my head round why they would include an off button in ABO and then not include one in Rio... just seems daft.

Include an off button then I'll be sorted :)
  • Lets just say that Powerups is a FOR, but when used, you get a badge much like the ME's Feathers, instead of a score until you play it without powerups.
  • Rovio is not the only company that ruins their own games. Zeptolab did the same. They added also sort of power-ups to Cut the Rope. With this cheats you can easily 3 star all the levels. You don't have to think, just press a button and there are your 3 stars. And on the main screen there is no way to see whether the stars were attained normally or with cheating.

Rovio could easily solve the problem: they could make silver stars. If you use power-ups, you only get seilver stars. If you clear a level without power-ups, you get gold stars.

But maybe Rovio wants people to use power-ups. Do you think that making money is more important for Rovio than making a perfect game?
  • @chriss I hate what Zeptolab did to cTR. Making candy unbreakable makes game and getting three stars is too easy. There was one level in tool box that I wasn't able to finish without breaking candy in ages, then after getting those three free pups I finished it in second. I was so dissappionted that new update with cartoons was only for iOS 6, luckily that they fixed it otherwise I would be unable to play new levels that will probably come in 2013.
    Sorry to @all this was a little bit off topic (not related to Rovio but only power ups in games).
  • I also can't stand the Power-Ups bar when it reappears every time you start a level. This has to be a QA issue, because this doesn't happen with Angry Birds original.

By the way, there is something screwy with the scoring (Apple Game Center). Yesterday, my total score for AB Rio was 2,866 out of 7,742,759 and this morning it is 556 out of 7,759,393 ... and I don't even have 3 stars in all of the circle things in each section from the recent update yet!

Has Power-Ups scoring screwed up something?
  • @mister-mike I don't think there is something wrong with GC, probably that you played new levels and scores are added to your total so it is logical that your rank is improved.
  • One of the first things I look for when considering a new game is the list of in-app purchases. If it has a huge list of cheats, power ups, whatever, I will NOT purchase it, under any circumstances! I refuse to waste my hard earned money supporting any developer's cash cow. On the other hand, I do not mind paying for updates that provide additional levels, or for a single, inexpensive, unlimited use item like the mighty eagle. I realize that there is time and money involved in creating the games, and I am willing to pay for updates that are reasonably priced.

For now, I am willing to continue using ABO because there is a way to disable the power ups, but the high scores are now meaningless. I will wait for a bit to see if Rovio updates Rio, hopefully soon, to allow disabling power ups. If they don't fix that issue, I will delete the app and roll it back to the previous version and not do any more updates except in the PC version, which doesn't have power ups.

The same will apply to all AB games that they tamper with in the future (I have all HD and PC versions of all of the AB games, but refused to buy the bad piggies in any format). I will also continue to boycott any new games that are released with a pay-to-play list of in-app purchases.
  • How do i can disable the Power Ups in ABO??
  • How do i can disable the Power Ups in ABO??
  • To disable on the iPhone: from the initial screen, hit the utilities symbol (gear icon in the lower left corner) and hit the lightning icon -- that should toggle the power-ups on and off.
  • Ok thanks very much @chaostsar cool Thing :-)
  • @all -- Sent a tweet to Rovio's ME, Rovio corporate, and Angry Birds asking them to distinguish between PU and non-PU scores. Will let you know if I get a response. Have done same previously, but haven't gotten useful response. My suggestion is that you all e-mail Rovio with the same request. True, they supposedly do pay attention to this forum, but I think they might take individual e-mails more seriously.
  • I have written Rovio about the Power Ups, asking them if Seasons is under attack as well. In this email I have explained it main problem I have with the Power Ups is that there is now way of telling if the people in the top of the list played the hard (and in my eyes honest) way or if they took the easy way out and used Power Ups. Also mentioned I would be happy to pay for the updates of extra levels if that would make any difference. I hope to hear from them soon and will let you all know.
  • MVNLA ‏@MVNLA
    @pvesterbacka Love new Rio levels, but you really need to change game to distinguish between with and without PUs. Please, pretty please?

Peter Vesterbacka ‏@pvesterbacka
    @MVNLA I hear you

Not very informative, but at least I know he heard. In reply, I asked him when the issue would be fixed.
  • @Chaostsar -- I tried your iPhone trick on my iPad, but no luck. On iPad the PUs are mostly out of the way and you can start level without them.
  • His intern heard you....
  • I've got a gut feeling that PUs are coming to Space tomorrow
  • @PlayDBird -- Maybe, but maybe not. He follows me, and we've had some brief exchanges, like when Sal was in line at the ABSW event in NY, and I suggested he meet Sal, and he did (maybe not entirely due to my tweets, but still, he was responding in real time).
  • I don't doubt someone is conversing with you but I would be surprised if it was him personally. Most celebrities and corporate executives have someone assigned to handle their tweets. Maybe it is him ; you never know.
  • @mvnla2 -- did you try to disable on ABO or AB Rio? The method only works in ABO, as I have not found a way to disable them in Rio.
  • @mvnla2 and @estar

I also contacted ROVIO some time ago. I think they are Not really interesting in opinions of users.

I also don't unterstand why ROVIO started always a survey where they want to know if we like playing with Power Ups. They change nothing :-(
  • @PlayDBird -- Thanks for throwing cold water on my idea that the ME of Rovio was conversing with me. : (((
    @ChaosTsar -- I think I tried it in ABR, not ABO.
  • @mvnla2 - forgive me. Of course you're conversing with the ME directly. I've no doubt of it, actually.
  • @PlayDBird -- You're forgiven, even if your tongue is permanently welded to your cheek.
    I sent a tweet to AngryBirds about disabling PUs, and their response was that they can be disabled as Chaostsar said above. Works on iPad, too.
    AngryBirds also said they would relay comment on keeping PUs separate to "team". And yes, PlayDBird, I have no delusions about who the "AngryBirds" twitter team is, and I doubt tweeting them will do much good, but can't hurt. I still think the best approach is for everyone to e-mail them their concern.
  • Just spotted RIO update stating great new PU's available. Stopped playing ABO when PU's started, now stopping RIO. Keep going ROVIO and I'll soon be back to playing cards of an evening...

ROVIO - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • @mvnla2 - I really hope the ME is reading your tweets.
    I'm just to cynical to believe it.
    But, like I said, I could be very wrong.
  • @dasa51

Nicely said :-)
  • And the nightmare will come when they will invent new powerups for BadPiggies…
  • @danimario9

I think i would find it better before they add Power Ups in further Angry Birds Games that they only make 3 Star levels without scores like in BP :-)
  • I seriously doubt Rovio has any intention of differentiating between power-up scores and legitimate scores as this conflicts with their current business model of selling scores to the highest bidder.

With each new generation of Angry Birds players power-ups will be considered normal as they will have always been part of the game by their estimation. Face it, we're a vocal minority and not part of the master plan.

This may accomplish higher profits in the short term but the inevitable conclusion is that when the flame burns out there will no longer be a community of devoted fans left to support them.
  • @chirpy43 - You got that right....Zynga is finding out that VERY concept right now as we speak. I've said it before and I'll say it again (as it's so applicable)...those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it, and sadly that looks to be the case here.
  • @heathen - The problem I see with Rovio is in their elitist mentality. With their talk about being the next Disney etc. it shows that they really think they are better than those other companies like Zynga.

It's really sad when you think about it. They make a couple widely popular games that make them a ton of money quick and they automatically think they are better than the big dogs. What they should do is stop and look at these huge successful companies and realize that customer satisfaction is their #1 priority.

While there will be new gamers that will know of no other time than with Power-ups the true fans are the ones that spread the word. I see Rovio getting lost in the shuffle with all the larger companies capitalizing on mobile gaming over the next 3-5 years anyways. I mean, how many basic mobile games can you make. Rovio has been successful because mobile gaming is basic right now, very similar to how Nintendo & Sega had pretty basic concepts for games. At least Mario had the ability to become different in Mario 64.
  • PUs might have just been meant for helping to get 3*. That's what I use them for. But once I finish 3* on all the levels, I will be honest with my leaderboard scores. And if I accidentally get too high of a score with PUs and can't improve for the leaderboards, then I just won't put my scores. But on some levels (such as poached eggs 3-1) the PUs are totally useless. I guess once I actually start putting in scores for the leaderboards I will understand the full gravity of the situation.
    @Chriss the silver star idea is great!
  • The overly exceeded prices make me think they have a such sort of Scrooge fever.

Scrooge fever: you get more money by putting lots of EXPENSIVE junk and never do more better.
  • @theanonymoussomeome -- The ME was the first "PU" introduced to AB, and you got unlimited use for $1.99. If you are stuck, it will let you go on to next level without completing the current one. I used it to do this a few times when I was starting out. It does not change your score. It also added an entire second level to the game, getting total destruction (a feather), so it was well worth it. It usually takes several attempts with ME to get TD, so when they started charging per use for ME equivalents, as in Space and SW, I stopped using them. Same with PUs.
    I don't understand why you are using PUs to get 3*? What is the use of getting 3* if you are not going to post the score and compete with the rest of us, or at least use your personal leaderboard to figure out where you need to improve?
  • @mvnla2
    Some people just want to watch the world burn.
    Likewise, some people just want to troll everyone by spamming their power-up scores, then teasing us honest players.
  • @Bullet - Using the powerups does not make you dishonest. You may not like them, but they are a part of the games now. That's like saying you are dishonest for being able to put scores in Danger Zone because I bought the level.
  • You are only being dishonest if you post PU scores on the Birdsnest leaderboards (Why? The admins of this site have asked that these scores not be posted.). Beyond that, yes, there is nothing "dishonest" by using the PUs. However, I view anyone who relies on them to progress through the game as inferior players to those who avoid using them. Not that I can tell the difference (thanks for nothing, Rovio).
  • @mvnla2- what I meant was that I wanted to improve on my PU scores after getting 3*. If I can't improve, I won't post my score. If I can't improve, I'll just post my highest non PU score. I just want to have 3* done ASAP o I can post on the leader boards, because if I do it while I'm still 3 starring, that will take time away that I could use for 3 starring. Pretty much I just want to post my leader board scores after 3* so I can improve wherever I need to.
  • @theanonymoussomeone -- I assume in the second sentence, you meant to say: "If I CAN (not can't) improve, I won't post my score." BTW -- You can edit your post to correct it, since this is a forum.
    I still don't understand why you spend time getting a higher score with PUs, but I guess bullet was right about watching the world burn (or something not so drastic). You could try joining the rest of us addicts, who try to get above average without PUs. Now there's a worthy challenge, IMO.
  • As I get more and more committed (addicted) to the game I understand why people are against PU's. Having just started entering scores onto the leader boards, as a consequence of this addiction, I absolutely HATE it when my scores are below average and no matter how hard I try nothing improves. When PUs first appeared, I used - even purchased them, but did not enjoy the game as much so reverted to playing without them. I don't have any 3* scores where they have been used and wouldn't post them anyway (because it's not fair) and now I know how, intend to disable them. I also don't think we get sufficient free MFs in Star Wars because I've had to purchase 400 so far and don't intend to buy any more. Sometimes it takes 20-30 MFs before I get the medal. Not happy Jan.
  • @redzym i agree totally with you. All the hard work the Last time was for nothing :-(
  • I only play angry birds seasons for this reason. If they ever introduced power ups I would quit there and then, and that would mean all those years of flinging to climb the scoreboard would be a waste of time.
  • @multimillionaire
    If other people using powerups makes it a waste of time, why are you even bothering to play now? Do you enjoy it, do you feel a sense of accomplishment when you get a new high score when you complete a level? If so, who cares what other people do. If you are only climbing scoreboards, then you are right, you either get on the bandwagon with the powerups or stop playing.

rant on:

I find it hard to believe that people would stop playing because of what others do in a game that other players have no direct impact on your play. Case in point, for a while, I was top spot in Trophy room in Rio. Then the van emdem's came along and both of them were knocking me off the top spot. I competed for a while but eventually I realized that the fun of trying to eke out another 100 points on a level wasn't doing it for me, so I stopped working on those levels. It wasn't that others were doing better than me, it was that I realized I could have more enjoyment working on others.

Now, I also realize I just gave a great reason why the powerups annoy some people so much. If their enjoyment is climbing the Gamecenter leaderboards then the powerups will get in the way, I will give you that. However, Slim, Sal, BL, and others do a great job here and I have faith that the high scores aren't achieved by powerups, rather they are achieved by great players. Look at the consistent high scorers, e-star, Manu, marc, Habanero (in the past as I haven't seen him in a while). They've been the tops since we all started posting here and they are to this day. The powerups aren't changing the best scores here.

/rant
  • @frozndevl

I agree totally. I also spend too much time playing on Levels getting better scores. It was for nothing. I haven't Fun playing ABR and ABO anymore. I also dont know if it make sense to Play Space Seasons and Star Wars for better Scores. I think its only a question of time when ROVIO Adds PUps their. So i have to spend time playing other cool Games !!! :-)
  • If all PC users can not use power-ups but if you can get 3 stars in the entire game.

I am a PC user and Android.

And if you use power-ups get higher scores and more easily than 3 stars

But I scored on the PC Leaderboard scores

World Mine and Dine had a hard level that took 1 week to complete, and in High Ham at level 1 was complicated, all that would be easier with Power-ups but I am PC user I had to complete normally
  • @Brianrivera1234 -- All competition on Angry Birds Nest leaderboards (except the facebook ones) is without power ups. If you get stuck on a level, the walkthroughs can really help, and do not use power ups. You can also ask for help from other members either on walkthrough or in the Bloated Pig forum. Good Luck with Flinging!
  • Personally I dislike power-ups. While it seemed like a good idea in Facebook, It has ruined the game likability in the normal apps. There are several levels on ABO (and now RIO) in which I have literally spent days in getting a decent score on my PC; my sister gets it easily using power-ups in her Android and even gets such ridiculous highscores that I can never match using normal ways. And now it seems SPACE, STAR WARS and even SEASONS will be invaded by power-ups someday.
  • @theayan

Yes too true. I think in next Space Update we will see the power ups but maybe in another Way like in Original and Rio !! Hopefully ROVIO changes something in future!!
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!