Jail Breaking
  • I was thinking of Jail Breaking

1. would it be legal in Australia

2. could you point out a good video

Thank you i am running I pod Touch 5.1.1
  • 35 Comments
  • Hello anyone?
  • I mean by YouTube but I will get that app if I jail break
  • I don't understand, what was your point for the second question?
  • I mean a good walk through video of how to do it?
  • Oh, okay. You're right, Youtube's a good source.
  • Have you jailbreaked your I pod?
  • It just seems really risky
  • My iPod's not jailbroken.

The only thing you would lose is the warranty of the device, but you could un-jailbreak it if you want it back.
  • Ok I think I won't jailbreak but I might contact apple to add a feature to record apps using a I os device
  • Ive jailbroken my iPhone 4S. I thought it was really risky too but its wicked easy now. I've also rooted my Nook Color and that was way harder. You had to go in to Terminal and mess with stuff with a bunch of prompts.
    Just Google Pro & Cons Jailbreaking and you'll see a ton of posts explaining the possible risks. Be sure they are newer posts thought because the newest the jailbreaks can change with iOS update.
    The problem you may run in to is you probably have already updated yourself to iOS 5.1. The Jailbreak that I did was meant for 5.0 on iPhone 4S and I have been unable to update to 5.1 without risk of losing my jailbreak. As of now they are working on a 5.1 untethered jailbreak (hopefully a few months) but they don't have it for mass production yet. Here are some good sites.

http://cydia.saurik.com/ - is the store you purchase tweaks from once jb
    http://greenpois0n.com/?p=173 - Absinthe is the program I used to jb it
    http://www.iclarified.com/ - is a blog that has all the tutorials for what your trying to accomplish (just search jailbreak (your device))

I should note that I know absolutely nothing about computers or programming. I have a friend that has JB everything (he wont buy a new iPad because he can't JB it yet) so I tossed around the idea for a while and finally did it because he was so confident in the process. I have not experience any problems yet.
  • No Jailbreak. For me it is too much effort for nothing. And i know One friend who is using Cydia for AB. He says much scores getting under highscores :-) I dont use Cydia
  • Yeah there are some programs you can get through JB that let you get games and other apps for free (in my experience the free ones always have something a little off about them). I wouldn't JB if that was your primary goal because you'll probably have an experience like @CCjolly friend did. I did it to see what all the fuss was about. Right now the only things I have done with it is added a gesture tweak that lets me swipe to open apps (ex: swipe the status bar to the right to open my calendar, double tap it for my reminders), a tweak that does push notifications for Sparrow email, & these tweaks from intelliborn in the link below.

http://intelliborn.com/intelliscreenx.html
  • @lostgreybird. You're absolutely right with this comment.
  • @AMslimfordy - I'd have to disagree with you there on the purpose of Jailbreaking. In Cydia, there are TON of enhancements to iOS and the standard apps that are indispensable for me. There's one that makes the Weather Icon live, the same for the cock icon, another that always has the alarm volume set to Max no matter how low the system volume...the ability to overcome folder limitations of iOS, and the choice to shutdown, sleep, restart, or simply respring instead of just SHUTTING DOWN from pressing the SLEEP button for a short bit...there are also others that change emoticon txts to proper icons in iMessage, add contact photos to any app that uses the contact list, and quite a few other enhancements that are there....
  • Oh sure, I have many of those tweaks as well, but I would hesitate to say those are a *reason* to jailbreak. More like collateral benefit.
  • I dunno if this is illegal, but someone jailbroke and did something to get loads of Space Eagles.
  • Well, if they got loads of space eagles without paying Rovio for them, I would consider that theft.
  • Jailbreaking itself is not illegal, but jailbreaking to obtain apps or IAPs for free when they are designed to be paid is indeed illegal.
  • Really annoyed to learn that's it's looking unlikely that iPhone 3GS will be compatible with the iOS 5.1.x jailbreak. :(

@harrystar6 It may also depend on what generation iPod Touch you are running as to whether a jailbreak will be possible
  • @Laurence I haven't heard that. I heard it would be both A4 and A5 devices.
  • Oh geez, I just got the tweet from JS_JN. That's unfortunate.
  • @AMslimfordy Who's JS_JN, and what was tweet about?
  • JS_JN is a the twitter handle for "Jailbreak Stories and Jailbreak News". I subscribed to them so that I can be alerted of future jailbreak compatibility and such.

The unfortunate news says "Upcoming iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak won't work on iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G". This is actually a bit surprising, since lower iDevices aren't typically excluded.
  • Turns out the issue with 3rd-gen devices is the old Bootrom. Interesting that the hardware doesn't support the jailbreak vulnerability.

So, for iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3rd-gen., if you want your device jailbroken, do not go beyond 5.0.1, and if you're already past that, you'll need to downgrade using redsn0w.
  • @amslimfordy Regarding downgrading - do you know how that works, ie is it simple to do, and I'm guessing can be reversed by simply upgrading again? I mistakenly updated to 5.1.0, so jail breaking is currently out of the question without downgrading! (or changing phone!) :)
  • I've never downgraded, but I wouldn't think it is much more difficult than jailbreaking alone.
  • @Laurence!!!! Check out pod2g's latest tweets!!!!!!
  • @amslimfordy Thanks! That is indeed good news - now all we need is the jailbreak! :)
  • 511 JB now available
  • So I see now - I have to say I'm tempted.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!