The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 3090
  • 159649 Comments
  • Must admit I haven't seen that one but you're right Alan Rickman was a very good actor. Never better cast than in Galaxy Quest which is a hoot from start to finish.
  • Think I've solved the puzzle of your mystery badges @desperatedan. wrw01 has been nominating folk for various badges including me. If there's a badge for kindly souls who go out of their way to nominate others for badges I'd nominate you @wrw01!
  • Yes @brianN, your double landlocked thinking is very good, although you can surprisingly rule out Africa. One of the stans it is, in fact this particular stan is completely surrounded by other stans. The other county is a tiny country.
  • As far as counties are concerned, traditionally Northamptonshire was the only one double landlocked. It failed to border Lincolnshire by a few hundred metres. However I have just read on a Wikipedia entry that it does now have a shared border of just 20m with Lincolnshire. If this is true it means you can pass through 4 different counties by just walking 21 metres. However, you can do even better in the US where you can pass through 4 different states by just shuffling a few inches (Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico).
  • Only Nebraska and Kansas are double locked within US States (I.e. you need to pass through 2 other States to exit the country). And that is all I have to say on the subject.
  • I think that's quite enough @desperatedan. The County I had in mind was Buckinghamshire, thought it might be double cushioned.
    As for the Stans even though maps of Ukraine are de rigueur on the news just now I wouldn't know me Turkmenistan from me Stan Laurel. You'll have to put us out of our misery there.
    The only other small country I can think of that I can't obviously rule out is Liechtenstein but I think it borders Germany which clearly has a coastline.
    Feel free to supply the answers and never mention the word double - locked again.
  • I'll go and discuss it with JD Button.
  • 50mph gusts today so you won't find me up a ladder(or steps for that matter). Disgusting is what I call it.
    Anyway time for a quick pop quiz question.
    In which song will you find reference to the Quisling clinic and where is it's location?
    I reckon you might know the song @desperatedan and perhaps @catsnbirds it's location?
  • @BrianN I do have a brother-in-law originally from Wisconsin. Which has nothing to do with my recognizing the Quisling Clinic. Sorry, googled it!
  • Double locked countries
    Liechtenstein and the Democratic Republic of Congo?
    County
    Rutland?
    I’m about to google...
  • Oops, missed a page
    At least I got Liechtenstein
  • No worries @catsnbirds that's the trouble with living on a pokey island you forget how big the USA is. So I take it Madison isn't round the corner from you.
  • Didn't know the clinic one @brianN but I know the song by Declan McManus.
  • @BrianN South to Indiana, west to Illinois, north to Wisconsin. About six hours driving, assuming no weather or traffic problems! The University there (of Wisconsin) is a prime foe to the one here (Michigan State University).
  • Oh dear, lost all access to ABO again. There is no obvious pattern to this. Very annoying as I was closing in on 11th place.
  • @catsnbirds, from Derbyshire, South to Leicestershire, West to Staffordshire, East to Nottinghamshire. No more than 20 minutes driving in any direction. But very different places. Different accents, different geography. We are very squashed in Britain. And the foe are very close.
  • Did someone mention Rutland?
    https://youtu.be/hU0QZQRTNr0
  • Otherwise known as Elvis Costello. He was never without a pen and notebook in which he'd jot down anything that caught his eye. On one of his early American tours while driving round Madison he saw the sign for The Quisling Clinic. Sometime later it appears in Green Shirt a track from Armed Forces.
    The Quisling reference was more about the Norwegian Wartime collaborator Vidkun Quisling as the far right movements were gaining a lot of ground in the UK back in late 70's.
    I've played it before but worth repeating, bit of an overlooked gem.
    https://youtu.be/k4LKt7r0A8s
  • Incredible talent. Most song writers today can't touch this.
  • Totally agree, we should have a Costello binge night some time. We certainly wouldn't run out of good material.

Hey @catsnbirds you won't have much of a problem with the traffic when you're out on your broomstick. Unless heading for a convention in Salem. Do you have your own air traffic control over there?
  • @BrianN There is NO traffic problem when I’m on the broomstick. I just wave my wand and cast the avoido aerotrafica spell. ;-)
  • There's a fish called Wanda. Anyways can't believe Tom Brady has just retired he had one of his best seasons in terms of stats this year so close to pulling The Buccs out of a hole against The Rams. Mind you he is 104.

Fun fact, Gisele is apparently worth twice as much as hubby Tom. Who says models are overpaid?
  • Has anyone seen The Mind of Herbert Clumperdunk? Series 1 was bizarre but stuck to a recognisable sitcom formula. Series 2 is Vic n Bob on steroids. Manic fun. Spencer Jones is the guy behind it(he's a regular in Ben Elton's Upstart Crow.) If you like unhinged madness I recommend it.
  • Today's Challenge a RNG, as the good doctor is inclined to moan. I have been studying extreme value theory, which models (amongst other things), how likely you are to get a very high number in a sample from a distribution. I am doing this for work but it applies perfectly for Angry Birds scores, especially when you just keep trying the same thing over and over again. So, for example, it helps you understand what your highest score might be after 500 attempts, given that you already know your best score after 50 attempts. It's all a bit depressing, the expected increases quickly become paltry despite large numbers of extra throws. But we knew that anyway.
  • I feel sleepy all of a sudden.
  • Super Bowl predictions anyone?
  • As you know Paul Octopus has retired but his pal Cuthbert Cuttlefish (colourful character) reckons The Rams have it.

Of course there's no predicting the Superb Owl.
  • Nice flinging today @gumby. Can't touch that(doo doo doo do do do) can't touch that(doo doo doo do do) can't touch that... ad nauseum. Nor your PB @desperatedan, did you try to beat it? (Just Beat it, beat it, just beat it etc)
  • Congratulations to Chelsea, third best team in the English Premier League, now World Club Champions. Congrats also to FIFA for yet another pointless junket. I believe plans are afoot to make this Mickey Mouse tournament even bigger.
  • Don't get me started on FIFA.

I need to calm down.

https://youtu.be/QPW0t3ysrGc
  • I'm off to the local cemetery for some intelligent conversation. Nite all.
  • Don't rub it in @brianN, I have lost all access to ABO again. Depressing.
    Anyway, come on you Rams, as we are inclined to say in Derby.
  • Don't know why but I just don't get The Killers. Mr Brightside leaves me cold. Rather like Coldplay. Can't get excited.
  • Ear of the beholder. Loved The Killers since Hot Fuss, though their recent offering wasn't too inspiring. Ditto with Coldplay I still listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head but not much of recent vintage. They seem to spend more time trying to be the Greta Thunberg of the pop world. Nothing wrong with that I think they're genuine about wanting to make a difference not like some of these Woke idiots who see a moving band wagon and jump on it to further their careers. This is turning into a rant isn't it?

Rant part 2.My ABO is off again used airplane mode yesterday. Not such an issue to have to reset every 20 mins or so but sooner or later the screen will freeze just as a humongous score is lined up. I have android 4.1 that has been unaffected by these recent issues and goes up to Surf n Turf so tried it on the challenge yesterday but in this version Red would not break the wooden plank at the bottom. One of those rare levels Rovio made easier I guess.

Rant part3. Looks like @kathy ruined the challenge for everyone today. Sure that screenshot has been photo shopped.
  • Hey lurky boy or should I say @ixan57. Enjoying the weather we've been having? Man that wind. There's a polythene bag been blowing around in our back garden that hasn't touched the ground for 4 days. (Wonder if it's the same one that appears in Viz comics @desperatedan?). As for the rain even the ducks are complaining. It's driving me quackers.
  • Twiggy is singing. Quite unnerving.
  • Hi quirky boy @brianN.
    Weather not been affecting that much. It has been a very good winter so far for the central belt. Been up ladder today fitting nesting boxes and resitting feeder stations. This ladder climbing window cleaning would seem not that an ordeal. Do window cleaners still use a shamios.
  • Never Heard of a sham. ios in years
  • Yes @ixan57 cleaning windows in a Scottish winter is an absolute breeze don't know what I'm moaning about.
    When I lived further north near Fraserburgh there used to be a guy called Shammy Dab(not his real name obvs) think he was the last of the shammy leather brigade. He was so old he used dinosaur skin. The modern trend is for reach and wash(carbon fibre poles that pump up ionised water) don't think my arms and shoulders would stand that all day. I prefer mop and blade. Feeling sleepy yet @ixan57?
  • If she's singing Mr Brightside you should be worried @desperatedan.

Noticed Chelsea's opponents yesterday Palmeiras had two forwards called Dudu and Rony.
    What? They Dudu Ron Ron they Dudu Ron.
  • Wow @catsnbirds. Hope you didn't use your magic wand? You know Pu's aren't allowed.
  • I'm rooting for the bagels now!
  • The Rams have it. Cuthbert you may retire.
  • Guess some @kathy luck came my way!
  • Let's hope @kathy gets a whole dose of that luck, @catsnbirds, she deserves it.
  • Something we can all echo. Hope you're still on the mend and contributing to our merryment again soon @kathy.

Didn't fancy the challenge today so went back to Flock Favourites. Have enjoyed pottering about there in my own time until I got to level 30-11. New candidate for most hateful level in ABO. One player said he was ready to bore his own eyes out. Think I'll give that a miss but am ready to set fire to my hair(just so there's no misunderstanding I mean while it's attached to my head.)
    No matter which strategy you use it foils you one way or another. Then you watch comex vid making near top score look so easy. Worse still I have a score that would put me on top but it's an old score and I have no proof of how I got it. Gaaaaaaahhh!
  • Apparently the Chinese snowboarder who won the Big Air gold medal "defied every law of physics". If that isn't cheating then what is! Would surely have tested positive for anti-gravity.
  • Well if he's under 16 he could shoot his fellow competitors and still not be disqualified.

Finally managed 135k on that level last night thanks for asking. Even then half of the cart refused to fall into the pit thus costing me a score near 140k.A score that would have seen me walk away from this level forever. Not so with 135k.I'll be back.
    However before I do I shall need a crash course in Zen Buddhism.Paying special attention to the module :ABO levels that mess with your chakkra. Fortunately there's a Shaolin Master who lives round the corner. He seems to work at nights and his office is always full. Plus there's a lovely smell of freshly cooked food permeating the air. His place is called The Yum Yum.
  • Is 30-11 29-26?
Post in the New Forum!