The soft-launch of Rovio’s first RPG, Angry Birds Epic, is now available for iOS in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. At this time we don’t know when it will roll out to any other countries, but you can be sure Nesters will be some of the first to know. The worldwide release will add support for Android and Windows 8 Phones.
So, with that out of the way, we here at the Nest have downloaded Angry Birds Epic and the above video gives you a first hand look at the actual gameplay. You literally can watch as we launch and play the game for the first time.
At first glance, the basic gameplay is easy enough to understand, but it will be difficult to master — especially for those not used to playing RPGs (you can include me in this list). Once again, the piggies have stolen the eggs from our favorite feathery friends. Starting with only the Red Bird, you must defeat the pigs in turn-based battles to retrieve stolen goods.
Each bird seems to have three abilities on any given turn: an attack, a defense, and a special “Rage Chili” attack. Hold down on any character (bird or pig) to see details about these abilities.
The objective is clear:
Knock out all piggies, but you must keep at least one bird standing! As an additional challenge, try to earn three stars on each level (Yes! Rovio is absolutely keeping a three-star format!). The more stars earned, the more prizes you win on the “Roll for Loot”. These items will be used to upgrade your birds.
So, what do you think? Eager to play? Let us know below.
- Want to talk Epic? Head to the Angry Birds Epic forum.
- Found a bug or have feedback? Given this is a soft-launch, Rovio will be even more receptive to feedback than normal. Add your feedback to our Angry Birds Epic Wishlist and Bugs forum topic here.
- Need help? Check out our Angry Birds Epic walkthroughs (even more to come)
Helpful gameplay Tips Straight from Epic!
- Most resources and ingredients can be crafted from lessor ones
- Scrap your old unwanted equipment for bonus resources
- Each weapons and off-hand item has a passive bonus ability
- Use the Rage Chili wisely
- Collect both items of an equipment set to gain a unique and incredible powerful set bonus!
- Sign in with Rovio Account to share your game progress across multiple devices
- Gain all three stars to gain more loot
- At least one bird must survive to win a battle
- Try different bird combos. There is a trick to any fight!
- Fill up the Rainbow Bar of your Golden Pig Machine for a guaranteed set item!
- Visit Professor Pig’s lab regularly to get more powerful recipes
- Off-hand items increase a bird’s health
- Weapons increase a bird’s attack power, and thus the damage dealt by all of their skills
- Tap and hold on any character during battle to read their abilities
- Friendship Essence is uses to re-roll stuff
- Get more powerful equipment from the Golden Pig machine
- Ask your friends once a day for free Friendship Essence
- Change a bird’s class (headgear) to change its battle abilities
- Pig Gates can be opened with Pig Key of a similar color
- Wave battles contain multiple battles
- Drag the full Rage Chili
- Upgrade your Magic Anvil or Cauldron to roll more stars!
- Tap and hold anything for explanations
- Some pigs have peculiar passive abilities
- Tap a bird to use its supporting skill on itself
- Complete Friendship Gates to unlock bonus areas and items
- There is a unique dungeon for each day of the week
- Visit your friends camps for free rolls on their Golden Pigs machine
- Tap and hold a blueprint or recipe to see the required materials to build it
- Combat in this game is turn based. You can only give orders during your turn
- Completing a daily dungeon will reward you with a huge amount of Snoutlings
- Visit Mighty Eagle’s training dojo to upgrade your birds’ classes
- Open Friendship Gates to unlock bonus areas and items.
- … Are we missing any? Leave a comment below.