AngryBirdsNest is always trying to evolve and improve its service to you. Over the past few months, we have overhauled the coding of our leaderboards to make them faster, added functionality to the Activity and Profile portions of the site, and a lot more stuff that mostly goes unseen. Today’s announcement is something we’ve been working on for sometime and is quite unique to our community. Thankfully it’s now ready for use!
So what is it?
In a nutshell, it’s a custom notifications system that, in many ways, works much like the existing notifications you already receive (e.g. private messages, “@ mentions”, replies, friend requests, etc.). The difference here is that this one is under our control, so we can build in notifications where it was previously impossible (more on this below).
One example of this is you can now chose to be notified when an Angry Birds, Bad Piggies, or Amazing Alex update (or any game we eventually cover) lands on the primary platform you’ve set in your profile. Notifications are sent via email and will appear on site, just like existing notifications. This is an opt-in service only, so you won’t receive them if you don’t want them. While we think this feature is useful for all, it’s especially useful for those users who don’t have update notifications pushed to their device automatically.
Opt-in in Two Simple Steps
- Step 1: Select “Notifications” from the drop-down menu that descends from your username in the top-right corner of the site.
- Step 2: Once in the notification section of your profile scroll to the bottom. Then, under “Custom Notifications” and tick “Yes”. (See the image below.)
So just to stress a few things:
- You must have a Primary Platform set in your profile. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing what platform updates you want to be notified about. Do to this simply choose “Edit Profile” from the username drop-down menu, then “Gamer Info”. (Facebook users, take note that your platform should be “Facebook” and not PC, Mac, or Chrome.)
- You must opt-in to receive the notifications. If you don’t want them, that’s OK, we understand. * sniff sniff *
- If an update lands for your device (for example, iPhone) and you have both options set properly, you will be notified on-site and by email that the update has landed. You can then head here to read our post about the update, if applicable.
With the launch of this system comes the potential to expand it. The following examples are hypothetical but, if we add them, rest assured that they will also be opt-in only.
- Notifications for a secondary (tertiary?) platforms.
- Maybe more filtering options, such as excluding games you don’t play.
- Notifications when you receive a badge.
- Notifications if someone beats your Top Score! This one has been requested for a while and, not only do we think it would be useful, but it could also help cut down on vandals. (Related but unrelated: Maybe a list or counter of your Top Scores?)
- Something related to the Challenge? Still pondering this…
- What else might you like to see? Let us know!
We would love to hear your thoughts. Of course, with any new system, there may be bugs. Since updates are periodic, they can be very difficult to notice and reproduce. But let us know if you notice anything buggy.