Awaiting Moderation: What Does It Mean?

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Awaiting Moderation: What Does It Mean?

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Replies
  • Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

Honestly, based on past experiences on other forums, “amateur moderators” are a mixed blessing at best.

If I had to choose between a new cohort of “member mods”, and maintaining the status quo, I’d go with status quo in a heart beat.

Anonymous

I’m totally with @larry on this whole helper thing. This way the admins wouldn’t have so much to do. They already have an everyday life and a job to do on here so I feel like this would take some weight off of them. I even made up a badge for it. “Forum Police” and it’s icon would be either a flashlight or a police hat.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

As someone whom others might think should be a member forum moderator, I definitely do not want the responsibility, but others might.

@mvnla2, you are right, I had to stop myself from mentioning you. However, there should be some like you in here?

Besides, the main goal is preventing spam, not so much about judging the content, right? I’d say that’s an easy job for some who are very active on this forum.

Btw, I just noticed the spam in the general discussion forum. Is that the only place where the spam is, or does it happen in all forums?

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. @Sweetp has been helping out a lot already, so she is now a forum moderator as well. It’s not exactly what you all want, but it’s a start.

SweetP
    @sweetp

Thank you @BirdLeader. Yes, it’s a start and we can only get better as we move on!

Anonymous

@larry THAT spam attack must of just been on the General Discussion Forum but from the attack I have seen it was all of them. EVERY SINGLE ONE. So I guess its just what forums the spammers want to attack.

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@larry @partshade I really think it is best to keep moderator control out of ABN contributor’s hands, no matter how trustworthy. The admins have a lot vested in the system and it is their responsibility. And they will respond. It will be better now they have moderator ability in Europe. They really just have to worry about a few hours outside of normal working hours, and the weekend, of course.

I think the best ABN contributors can do is give a heads-up if we notice something that we think should be dealt with. I am not sure what the best approach for this is, but I assume a PM or a public @admins message is best.

Regarding the spam detection system (which I understand has been turned off for the moment), perhaps the best option for you @larry is to do work on the main post when you know the moderators are active and to let them know as soon as you are done. But the integrity of the system should come before your post.

Finally, to the @admins, it would be useful to give the ABN community a heads-up that the spamming detection system is active and is being trialed again. I had some simple posts held up in the system and didn’t know why.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

@kerravon It is not active at this time.

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@kerravon “I think the best ABN contributors can do is give a heads-up if we notice something that we think should be dealt with. I am not sure what the best approach for this is, but I assume a PM or a public admins message is best.”

I’ve been wondering why this forum doesn’t have a “report” or “flag” button beside each topic or reply.

“I really think it is best to keep moderator control out of ABN contributor’s hands, no matter how trustworthy”

Agreed. I’ve seen too many contributor-mods go power hungry over the years.

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@amslimfordy Sorry, I had meant when the system becomes active again. But thanks for confirming that it is not currently active.

Speaking of active – I am surprised you still are. You must be on late night spam watch again.

Anonymous

Oh hey another spam attack. Wonder why ABN is such a huge target?

@optimuspig

I’ve been wondering why this forum doesn’t have a “report” or “flag” button beside each topic or reply.

I’ve been wondering exactly the same. Some of the forums I work with, automatically block and forward to a moderator when a post flagged by readers (depending on activity it’s usually 3 or 5 flags). When the moderator approves, it’s not automatically blocked anymore, but can still be reported. That’s a way to let the first selection be done by the audience without giving out any rights.

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@optimuspig and @larry That sounds like a very good solution. It would have taken care of the post describing the cheating method a few days ago.

@birdleader, see the last couple of posts by @optimuspig, @kerravon and myself. Any chance this feature could be built in? I agree with KerrAvon that it would take care of most spamming issues here…

Kelani
    @kelani

@kerravon Nicely said up there. Just a FYI, a few of us (myself included) are night owls, and since we’re located on both US coasts, we usually manage to keep an eye on things during those hours when normal people are asleep. :)

@partshade ABN is a target mostly because we’re a large site. Spammers want to reach the most people, so they look for large forums like this. Additionally, they favor sites which have less-robust spam protection. Our lack of a Report/Flag option is definitely something that would be noticed. I hope something like that can be added.

As far as allowing members to moderate, guess I’m the minority, because I’m a huge fan. I allowed members to moderate on every site I created. Their assistance was an enormous time-saver for the admins. I personally found it was easy to tell which members were right for the job. The trustworthy/helpful ones who have the site’s best interests at heart seem to stand out from the crowd. As long as the rules were clearly defined, and they weren’t given too much power, they did an excellent job. Aside from the rare post which shouldn’t have been moderated, (but could have gone either way), I never had any problems using members in this capacity. Just my 0.02

Anonymous

@kelani Thanks for clearing that up. Honestly I can understand that people who have some power over the forums can get a bit crazy with it but if these people are highly trusted and known to not abuse their power I don’t see why this would be a bad idea. I think it’s great that everything is working out for you on your sites and if some players on here were carefully selected for the job I don’t see why it wouldn’t go the same way. Just my opinion.

@kelani,@partshade, Aye. What you said.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Awaiting Moderation: What Does It Mean?

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.