Spending pearls to buy hats and upgrade slingshot

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Spending pearls to buy hats and upgrade slingshot

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 123 total)
  • Replies
  • TL Westgate
    @tl-westgate

So much confusion. I wish Rovio would learn to communicate better (and the difference between adding and multiplying). At any rate, I am hoping to clear up some confusion.

I bought all the crowns first to gain the bronze slingshot. If I go back and buy all the party hats will I get the silver slingshot? Or should I be saving up for the street hats?

Also, since I have the complete set of crowns, if I buy only 1 of any other type of hat, does that mess up my set, thereby nullifying the slingshot bonus?

Sarah
    @sarahjune

@chucky-2 I can’t deselect a hat if I have more than 1, only for my small red which had a crown from previously. It shows both selected on the screen but only has the most recent score multiplier. I finished my crowns first then went back and did the party hats so now my birds are at +1.

ABeggerToo
    @abeggertoo

@tl-westgate – I did the crowns first, then bought all party hats. After buying the party hats, my slimgshot went from bronze to silver. It’s hard to tell the impact on scores as I am always matched against players in the Arena with silver slings and all 14 level birds. I have 6 13s and 1 12 and am able to win all my matches, but the scores are getting closer since I upgraded my sling.

@sarahjune
    , I am able to switch between party hats and crowns after opening the bird in the Arena. When the party hats is selected, the multiplier shows x1 and when the crown is selected, it shows x2. I’ve left them with crowns, but can toggle between them by touching the icon (which no longer shows the buy button.

Pinniped
    @ryan-mccamy

So, in a nutshell, the primary purpose for buying street hats is to upgrade the slingshot?

I can use crowns for +2 or street hats for +2. But if I buy both sets, I’ve just added a level to the slingshot. (Gold, assuming I have party hats too.)

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

So, I have seen some discrepancies with the Arena and Slingshot Ranks…

For example:

null

You can clearly see that the person, Loopy of Prey, should have a Normal Slingshot since he does not even have one hat set completed. This was a two weeks after the release of Black Pearls & Hats, and he already spent 640 Black Pearls. Despite this, it shows he has a Silver Slingshot.

Now, I recently upgraded a third set and have the Gold Slingshot, but the same issue occurs. I can tell that many people have not completed 3 hat sets. Funny thing is, it will show with their scores as well!

Also, to add my strategy:
    – Start with Party Hat Set
    – Then do Crown Set
    – Then do Street Cap Set
    – Then finally start saving up and doing Cowboy Hat Set (which I am currently in the process of doing)

If you waste Black Pearls on Cowboy Hats first, you will take forever trying to get a Bronze Slingshot, when I already have a Gold Slingshot.

ADBjester
    @adbjester

Max, it appears to be a bug that when your opponent matchup is displayed, YOUR slingshot level is shown on your opponent rather than theirs.

I’ve reported this via proper channels. No response yet.

I am unsure if this affects scoring or not. I suspect it is cosmetic only.

Jester

kedik22
    @kedik22

@hank

Hi.
    I believe a proper and full set of explanations and rules of how everything works is really necessary.
    So as to clear up all confusion.
    Don´y you think?

Regards.

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

@ADBjester

I can confirm it’s cosmetic only, but sure makes things confusing when planning to use Spells or not.

– Dave

kelshe
    @kelshe

Why would one toggle between hats? Aren’t the hats combined stronger than any of them alone? I know I’m dense at times but maybe someone could explain it so that even I would get it. I’ve bought no hats thus far and, even though I’ve been pitted against opponents with hats and upgraded slings, and higher bird rank, I have yet to lose a match. I have won every 7 streak attempted. No gems used to win. Isn’t facing an opponent with all the hats and slings sort of like facing an opponent with all the spells? BTW star rank 88, 3 birds at 14, 4 at 15. Not exactly in the Pantheon but not exactly in the cellar either. I guess that I’m just not getting this whole hat/slingshot thing. I’d really appreciate it if someone would elucidate. Thanks!

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

@kelshe

You would not toggle between hats. All you would do is keep the one that gives the greatest bonus (+ x2 or + x3). I would never put on a party hat even though I purchased them all because they are only + x1 to the overall Bird Ranks. They were only a means to an end in getting the Bronze Slingshot.

They don’t act like Spells at all since they don’t add extra slots or act as extra power. They merely increase the Bird Rank score. If you have a bird a Elder Diamond (x15 score) with a Cowboy Hat (+ x3) and a Gold Slingshot (+ x3), then your Elder Diamond bird is now worth a total of x21 Bird Rank score!

I have rarely lost a battle since I jumped the gun and got the Party Hats and the upgraded Bronze Slingshot (and getting the Silver and Gold later on as well). Sometime it’s skill, other times, it’s just the bonuses.

AngryPlayer
    @angryplayer

But I guess buying the hats in order to build up your slingshots in sequence will only pit you against other players who have also bought the hats and have that slingshot level- so your bonus only gets you into a league with others who have the same bonus, kind of nullifying it.

I don’t care about getting the slingshots in order, so I’m going straight for the cowboy hat set because as long as I have to save up pearls to get the expensive hats, I’m going right for a bigger purchase, otherwise it takes me all the time to get all those previous upgrades THEN to do it all over again to get the cowboy hat upgrade. What this allows me to do is keep playing other people who still have the wooden slingshot but several of my birds already have a (bird + x3 score multiplier bonus), which really comes in handy when I need to collect big points during an Arena match and I can actually realize the advantage of having higher scoring birds.

Again, I’m happy to stay in a league where my bonus hats will actually do me some benefit by not leveling up. When I finally do level up I’m sure Rovio will have added the ______ hats which will cost x0,000 black pearls and give you x amount of score multiplier blahblahblah and I’ll be in a league where everyone else is at the same slingshot/bird level anyways (Azure or whatever it will be by then).

ABeggerToo
    @abeggertoo

@angryplayer I believe that is the correct approach to take. Maxing our bird levels without levelling up your slingshot is the best way to go into each match with higher scoring birds. I went crown, then party hats to level my slingshot to silver without increasing bird power and regretted it ever since. A few cowboy hats (with x3) while keeping my silver slingshot will help.

kelshe
    @kelshe

I’m still not getting this whole hat/slingshot thing. I understand the multiplier effect but without having bought any of these accouterments, I always clear the DC, I haven’t lost an arena match in months, usually getting 8-10 stars and I usually clear the new levels in a day or two. I constantly face arena opponents with a full array of hats/slingshots beating them every time. All my birds are at 15 with significant feathers “banked” for the next level. So if I’m winning in all aspects of the game, what’s the benefit of buying hats? Aesthetics? Bragging rights?

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

@angryplayer

That’s entirely untrue. I’ve never been pitted against a person that I was sure had a Gold Slingshot. I’m pitted against Wooden and Bronze Slingshots all the time. The only issue is the glitch that duplicates my golden slingshot to make it appear as if it is a Golden Slingshot.

Also, Rovio has mentioned they plan to introduce more hats in the future, but not more expensive ones like the Cowboy Hats. Probably more x2 hats priced at 100 Black Pearls each.

@kelshe

Well, with 15 on every bird, it’s going to be hard for Rovio’s servers to find a worthy opponent for you. Buying hats probably just increases that gap between you and anyone close to you. Probably would get you more 10 stars in your case.

Or you could play it safe if you want and just keep saving up the Black Pearls until you notice it getting more difficult to keep 8-10 stars.

It’s very noticeable for me since I get 7-9 stars mostly even though all my birds are only level 10 and I’m constantly pitted against level 12s and 13s (sometimes even a 14).

Psygaz
    @psygaz

In my slightly OCD way, I just went through it logically – all the party hats first (though I hated the birds wearing them, made me feel like an eight-year old). Then the crowns then the street caps. So now I have a golden slingshot and I start the long wait for the cowboy hats. Like, forever.

AngryPlayer
    @angryplayer

@haoledave but you are already above a wooden slingshot so you can get players with slingshots below yours. In my case I still have a wooden slingshot and I’m never challenged by a player with a gold slingshot for example, because Rovio’s matchmaking system will look for someone who is equal to or lower than my ranking, and wooden is the lowest. And as long as I leave one bird without a hat of any kind (*coughChuckcough*), my flock won’t upgrade my slingshot.

If this kind of thing weren’t in place we would all be battling titanium (or whatever the highest slingshot material at the time is) players, and thereby quitting the game.

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

@AngryPlayer

Again, there is a glitch that makes it *appear* as if they have the same Slingshot as you. I’m always paired with someone that *appears* to have a Golden Slingshot. Unless the glitch is fixed, it might be difficult to tell if you have actually faced a Bronze Slingshot..

I have no idea if anyone is even above Gold yet. Can’t say I wouldn’t be pitted against an Azure Slingshot if there’s no such thing right now. Statistically, it’s impossible since there haven’t been enough Black Pearls to earn for a 4th level up of a Slingshot. I’ve always tried to be one of the first to level up my slingshot, so I haven’t really seen anyone above me (from the Arena List).

All I know is that before it was introduced, I was almost never got past Round 3 in Arena. Now, I almost always get a Full Streak.

But I can see the logic behind that IF it is true that the system will keep it from fighting someone with a Bronze Slingshot. If the system will pair a guy with five level 11s and two level 10s against a player with four level 14s and three level 13s, I see no reason why they wouldn’t do the same with Slingshots… Especially for Rounds 3, 5 and 7.

I have been pitted against players that have one bird with no hats at all (with the appearance of a Gold Slingshot).

Eventually, I’m sure Rovio will figure out an algorithm that will factor in Bird Levels and Slingshot Levels together.

ADBjester
    @adbjester

I have carefully tracked in Excel what slingshots and hats my opponents have. There is *NO* correlation to match selection. Matches are chosen very specifically to match your level, and to match you and your opponent by starting base level (i.e. sum of all the digits on your bird cards)… and the slings and hats appear to be random after that.

For example, when you are starting a streak, you will always have a 6, 7 or 8 multiplier advantage…. but I’ve faced a range of slings (from wood to silver, against my gold), and a range of hat points difference (from them being up one to me being up 7).

On a streak of one, the same is true, but your base advantage will be 4 or 5.

On a streak of 3, it is a stark jump — you’ll be at a base DISADVANTAGE of 13 or 14… but you can still enjoy a random hat or sling advantage. And so on.

Note that Rovio tweaks the matchup logic frequently — this spreadsheet has been steady for two weeks now, but it could change if some players are running away with it, or people are too frustrated because they can’t win.

As to whether it is best to buy cowboy hats if you don’t have complete sets of party, crown and street hats, it is CLEARLY mathematically superior to buy complete sets of the 100 pearl hats before embarking on cowboy hats.

If you buy all three lower sets, you’ll spend 1710 pearls (IIRC, party hats were 30 — it’s been a while). This will gain you a net increase of:

Gold sling = 3X on all 7 birds — +21
    Wearing a crown or street hat = 2X on all 7 birds — +14

Note that this is how you MUST think about matchups when choosing spells. You compute your base + all multipliers from hats, and each sling upgrade is +7. Do the same for your opponent, guesstimating their sling based on the hats they are wearing. (I just LOOOOOVE seeing an opponent with a cowboy hat and 6 party hats, as I know I have a +14 advantage immediately, my gold sling over their bronze).

Thus, for 1710 pearls, you got 35 multipliers, paying an average of just under 50 pearls per multiplier.

If instead you go for cowboy hats, you’ll pay 500 pearls for a single 3X multiplier, or three times as much — 165 pearls each. When you FINALLY complete your cowboy set for 3500 pearls (twice as much as three lower complete sets), you’ll have +28 multipliers (3X per bird from the hats, and a bronze sling)…. and you’ll have paid 125 pearls each for them.

Yes, it takes longer to complete a set, but a set is FAR more powerful than a cowboy hat, and a much better value.

Jester

One complete set of crowns costs you 700 pearls, and gives you SEVEN multipliers — every bird you sling goes up by one. That’s a cost of 100 per multiplier on the sling. Discounting that there’s no bird advantage between crown and street, let’s say you buy cowboy hats instead, leaving sets incomplete. You pay 500 for a single 3X multiplier

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

@adbjester

Those are some very sound numbers. Is this also a correct method of gauging?:

If my opponent has a level 12 Red with a cowboy hat, I see it as level 15. If I notice he has a Bronze Slingshot, then I bump it up to level 16. Then I look at my level 12 Red with Cap and Gold Slingshot, and I am at level 17. So, I believe I have the advantage on that one bird. Takes a bit too see where I am at an advantage and where I’m at a disadvantage, but it usually helps me figure out if I need to use a spell…

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@HaoleDave

I wouldn’t take it down to the bird on bird comparison. You play the same ROOMS in a match, but the order of your birds is random. There’s little you can do to overcome the disadvantage of finding yourself with Blue, Terrence and Bomb and a pig “out of reach” that you need a Matilda or Chuck’s range to reach… or finding yourself lucky enough to start a bird-laden, collapsible stone room with a bomb and a Red, when your opponent’s strongest weapons in their cards are Matilda and Silver.

I believe only the TOTAL sum of your birds’ cards and multipliers (from whatever source) matter. Calculate your total (mine is currently 144), and then figure your opponents’ total. If you have a 10x advantage or more, and consider yourself skilled at Strikes, you’re OK. I’m tempted to use a spell as insurance near the end of the 7-streaks.

Jester

Anonymous

New update out….

3 new hat levels…another 20 (school), 100 (beachwear), and 1000 (pirate) pearl hat levels.

Yes they increase the slingshot past azure, from memory green (emerald) then purple (amethyst), and I am assuming the 1000 pearl hats will give you diamond.

….also another bird level!

cosmo2503
    @cosmo2503

I don’t understand why pirate hats cost 1000 black pearls when they give same multiplier as cowboy hats that cost 500 pearls.

Tom
    @tompanderson

I got the bronze slingshot when I got the 7 party hats but have no further upgrades even though I have completed the crowns and sporting hats. Sounds wrong. Anyone else have this?

HaoleDave
    @haoledave

@cosmo2503

The 1,000 black pearl price is because of the diamond slingshot. Not really about the bird rank. Plus, they look neat.

AngryPlayer
    @angryplayer

Just one quick note (not sure if it’s been clarified at all yet):

Buying one complete set of hats, regardless of which one it is, will upgrade your slingshot to whatever the next upgrade is. So if you save your black pearls, buy all the pirate hats first, you will get the bronze slingshot (next upgrade after wooden). Hat sets do NOT correspond to the slingshot levels.

However this strategy will allow you to slog out the harder-to get hats first, then you will fast track to your next 4 upgrades since the earlier hat sets are cheaper.

But doing them in order will possibly allow you to achieve black pearls at a faster rate since higher-scoring birds/slingshots make better win possibilities.

Summary: If you want a diamond slingshot you’re going to have to buy the pirate hat collection sooner or later.

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Spending pearls to buy hats and upgrade slingshot

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.