Petition to Rovio

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Petition to Rovio

• I think it might be a good idea to try to start an online petition to Rovio. There are many times, especially during competitions and tournaments, when the use of power ups is not permitted. on level after level as we’re trying repeatedly to get the best score, we see these pop-ups asking us to spend some of our hard-earned money on power ups that we can’t use anyway because it will invalidate the score.
    There are also the pop-ups that happen every four or five times when you’re trying to deadhead a bird and not activate it, showing us how to use the bird.
    Two simple solutions.
    1) add a tournament-mode button that disables power up prompts for a level. Tapping the button would eliminate the pop ups for that level until the player exits the level. I would say disable them permanently, but we know that won’t happen.
    2) if a player has more than X number of hours, assume that the player KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE FREAKING GAME and don’t show pop ups demonstrating a particular bird’s functionality that needlessly interrupt, irritate, and aggravate.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
  • redbird
    @redbird456

Which games do that? It never happened to me before.

Jkhab69
    @jkhab69

It seems like the more recent the game the more intrusive the pop ups. A good example would be to check Star Wars. Start any level with Luke as your first bird, use it for five times restarting your level after each time but don’t activate the bird. You’ll then get a pop up showing you how to use the bird, and of course you’ll also see pop ups for power ups a bit less frequently.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@jkhab69 — Good Luck with that! I heartily approve of both suggestions, and will sign a petition. However, I’ve got to say that #1 is unlikely to be implemented, because Rovio is all for using PUs in “tournaments”. It’s only ABN, as far as I know, that tries to keep some leaderboards PU-free.

Kelani
    @kelani

@jkhab69 I love the ideas, and I’d sign a petition also. You could easily start one on change.org. I wish they’d find a better way, but PUs are what keep these gaming companies profitable. Without them, I hate to think what each game would cost to buy.

Since you just got Jedi Addict, I assume the pop-up bird tip that annoyed you was Luke’s lightsaber tutorial? The solution I used there was to just trigger it as soon as you fling. You’ll never see that popup again. :)

Jkhab69
    @jkhab69

@kelani , yes, being shown every four or five launches how to use a lightsaber is beyond irritating. To break 100k on j9 took me about 7 hours. If we deconstruct the process into tap (launch) , tap (pause) , tap (reset), with most resets occurring within 7 seconds after launch, but some taking up to 10 seconds, let’s say we have an average of 8 seconds, 3 tap cycles, about 450 every hour. Add the “Luke 101” reminder every 5 attempts, including the delay and the taps, and your efficiency is reduced by roughly 14%. That plus the delays due to the pu reminders which do occur less frequently probably take off another percent, except for the occasion when they coincide and we have to pause to wait for the popup, recognize what it is, and through the red haze of rage due to irritation caused by watching laser droids self destruct + having to repeat levels over and over because they rely on luck! tap the proper location on the screen to get back to the game. I’m just glad, since I spent the most time on j9, that the level I used did eventually involve a lightsaber once I remembered how I had gotten through it before. Unfortunately even though got score addict last night, there are a couple levels left I want to replay and try for higher scores, and some of those strats are the “bowling ball” technique.

Kelani
    @kelani

@jkhab69 Glad to see someone else who plays with AB math. I’d forgotten about the power up prompts on iOS/Android. I played Jedi on PC, where they thankfully don’t exist, but I also play other games on iOS, so I can imagine how much more annoying that’d be. IIRC, those appear every 20 attempts or so.

The Luke-101-avoidal method isn’t ideal, but since SW is (I think) no longer updated, I guess it’s all we’ve got. If you write a petition, I’d beg for the dedicated playground in each game. That seems like something they’d want to do. Decreases complaints on two fronts, and sneakily encourages powerup usage. What more could they want?

Superjustinbros
    @superjustinbros

I support bullet 1. I tend to avoid using power ups because someday I want to get my scores onto this site, and plus it’s annoying seeing all these popups saying “Hey, want to make your score ineligible for Angry Birds Nest’s Leaderboards? Go and use some power ups/extra birds!”

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Petition to Rovio

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.