PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Replies
  • Josm
    @josm

I asked them also about this last week and i got this respons:

Hello Jos,

and thanks for contacting us!

It indeed takes longer for updates to be released for PC than to mobile devices. Each game team only has a limited amount of personnel and they have to prioritize some platforms over others. They aim is to have the updates out on all of the platforms as close to each other as possible, but sometimes this is not possible due to time constraints or performance issues on one of the platforms. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you’d like to make sure that you have the latest version of a game, you can always re-download the demo-version of the game that you have from http://download.angrybirds.com/ . Doing this will give you the most up-to-date version of the full game. Choose “Repair” when prompted and you don’t have to type in your activation key.

Best regards,

Essi
    Rovio Support Team

Josm
    @josm

and what about this?

Mixx
    @mixx

This is the entirety of what I received

Rovio Support Team, Nov 21 02:52:

Hello there,

and thanks for contacting us!

We have decided to discontinue development on Angry Birds and Bad Piggies PC games to focus on providing a better experience for these games on mobile devices. Digital PC games will no longer be available for purchase or download. Additionally, these games will no longer receive updates.

Physical copies of Rovio games are still in circulation and are available for purchase. However, please note that these games will not receive further updates and may not contain all features present in the mobile versions. PC games can be found in various retail locations and online at Amazon.com for example. To play the most recent versions of the games, please search for the mobile versions of the games on the app marketplace associated with your mobile device.

If you have previously purchased PC games, you can still retrieve activation keys for these games by following the link received in the email accompanying your game purchase. If you no longer have access to this email, or if your existing activation key is no longer working, we can send you a new one. Please get back to us with the email address you used to make the purchase so that we can find your order and send you a new key.

Johan
    Rovio Support Team

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

@mixx—Sounds like Essi and Johan should get on the same page. A little conflict as to what’s going on. So if I’m to understand this correctly according to Johan we can buy the already existing PC games from either a retail outlet or Amazon.com but there won’t be any new ones?

One last thing if I happen to get a tablet or IPad and want to transfer all my games from my laptop to the tablet can I do that or is this where I’ll have to repurchase.

Thanks,

Barbbjb

Josm
    @josm

@barbbjb the games are for free an android via google play store, you cant transfer pc> tablet

Josm
    @josm

But @mixx is right :( the games are not available anymore in rovio’s shop. They stopped updating. The only way is downloading the demo at http://download.angrybirds.com/ so sad

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

@josm Thanks for your replies. The downloading really only pertains to the ones I already have so guess that’s it for me. It’s really sad. Guess I’ll just go back and replay them all from time to time.

Josm
    @josm

Lets hope windows 10, that will come next year, will give us a little hope. Windows 10 will have a universal app-store.

‘Deliver one Store for all devices, making it easier for you to reach customers in consistent and compelling ways no matter what type of device they’re using. ‘

Kelani
    @kelani

@barbbjb it sounded to me like the Facebook answer was confused. He’s answering a question about PC Short Fuse with info about the Create a Level contest. Apples/Oranges, IMO.

As for Mac, in the link I posted at the start of this thread, the big NO for PC is also there for Mac. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mac is gone also, or will be soon. Judging by ABN leaderboard scores, there are 80-90% fewer Mac players than PC.

@Mixx
    I sent you a PM about this, but thanks for posting the email. It definitely sounds official.

I’m still trying to find confirmation from a secondary source.

waimea
    @waimea

@kelani…I’m going blue stacks also. Is there a way you can move your progress from PC to blue stacks (without being a computer programmer)?

Kelani
    @kelani

@waimea I think you can move the files, but I’m not sure if the Android version can read them. burpie might know that one.

I may set it up this week just to see if it’s possible to transfer highscores. If it is, I’ll make a video tutorial showing all the steps. :)

burpie
    @burpie

@waimea @kelani

Here’s the idea
    https://www.angrybirdsnest.com/members/tienshenlong/activity/225966/

Transferring your progress to bluestacks takes about an hour, starting from scratch. With bluestacks, however, I don’t think telepods will work. You could try genymotion instead:

PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

SnTrooper
    @sntrooper

I just checked shop.angrybirds.com and it is completely gone. Just goes to a site with links to other sites to buy the products. It really sticks but makes sense in a financial/corporate kind of way if they no longer have any way to sell the PC/Mac versions.

They really should update Original, Seasons, and SW2 to bring them up to the point where they are right now though, even if they don’t update for any future levels. People have been waiting for those updates for months (eight months for the second part of Short Fuse) and to not get them, that’s just cruel.

I only have Star Wars and Bad Piggies so this doesn’t really effect me luckily. Really happy I never got around to buying SW2. But if they do ever get updates I’m going to be extremely disappointed.

waimea
    @waimea

Thanks @burpie. I may try that. Or I may wait until @kelani comes up with a nice, step-by-step tutorial….lol. If I try it and it works, I will let you guys know.

Kelani
    @kelani

Yeah, I’ll do a tutorial for either of them if anyone needs one. I figure I’ll be recommending this to many PC users for the foreseeable future, so making a tutorial will hopefully save me a lot of typing :)

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

Just wanted to let the relevant interested people know that I am awaiting a response from our most-direct-possible contact at Rovio. I haven’t forgotten :) and if possible I’ll see if I can motivate a change. No promises except that I’ll try.

waimea
    @waimea

Thanks @amslimfordy. And @kelani, do make a tutorial. I thought I’d done everything including getting a gmail account, and followed the directions, sent my lua file to it, but when I open it in blue stacks gmail, I get a message that the file cannot be opened. Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m certainly not a computer guru, so, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

Thanks so much @amslimfordy! IF you can’t convice them could you at least try to get them to do the updates that we’ve all been waiting so long for?

Kelani
    @kelani

@amslimfordy Thank you for looking into this for us. I’ve had zero luck finding confirmation. If for some reason they are interested in the PC community’s opinion, please pass this thought along, in whatever wording you think best. perhaps something less snarky:

We can accept the need to cease new development for PC, but not the arbitrary cancellation of long-awaited updates which were already in development. We paid twice as much as mobile customers for our games, and have patiently waited 1-2 months longer for every update. In the case of Short Fuse, Eight months and counting. We paid for a complete game, and feel you have an obligation to provide us with one.

All: I know that doesn’t speak for everyone, and while I’d love to see Slim Jedi mind trick Rovio into reversing the decision, I think that’s unlikely. So, for me, it’s just a case of picking our battles. IMO, our best-case scenario is one where PC gets any updates that were in development when the decision was reached.

Josm
    @josm

We should make a poll to vote for PC updates :(

sal9
    @sal9

This move seems related to their online shop.
    I still see Rovio games in the Appstore and Steam.

Josm
    @josm

@sal9 which appstore? only the pc versions are removed, mac will still be available i guess.

Kelani
    @kelani

Thanks for posting that @josm Guess that answers that one.

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

You know what I would have liked from Rovio, @Kelani?

A thank you message. To the very active and influential communities that have supported games like Bad Piggies.

Bad Piggies is like Firefly. It’s unique. It’s not that popular and it’s largely eclipsed by more mainstream titles. But such things usually get a huge cult following after a while.

Like Firefly, it also got canned after one run, literally.

What I would wish for earlier this year is someone high up in Rovio telling people that the game will not be updated further “due to changing priorities on Piggy Island” and saying Thank You to the Facebook and Twitter communities that helped support and promote the game in their respective ways. Insert a paragraph “we’ll be back when the time is right for a future Pig Game”. This would have garnered great respect for the official Community efforts and kept everyones hopes up in the long term.

It’s also simple to do. Just draw up a crude drawing in broken English, sign off as King Pig (or his Office) as they did in pre-release art. Simple enough to whip up in 15 minutes using Photoshop and a drawing tablet. Schedule post, watch the likes flood in and people saying “Oh, it was awesome, thanks for supporting our community.”

Fans & gamers like myself will understand. We’re not clamoring for updates. We even said we can provide our own “life support” for an un-updated title by existing means of community outreach. Better yet, release a Level Editor and we can be completely independent of official Rovio support. What’s there to lose? Bad Piggies is not even the only physics sandbox out there. There are way better and more complex ones like Kerbal Space Program (which will survive forever, being 100% moddable).

Instead, fans were kept waiting for “coming soon” or “no news yet” since time the beginning of this year. Official community support also got suddenly canned about mid-2014. No useful info was given to communities like mine. We simply (rightly) assumed it’s time to find a new patron and play along in-character with the storyline of AB: Stella, because it’s the smarter thing to do than trying to cling on to a dead title. Dead titles don’t attract new players en masse, competitive as the gaming market is today.

With some advance official notice that “X title will be unsupported after this update”, communities can plan ahead, and shift their modus operandi from following just one game, to becoming a universal Rovio gaming outlet.

Better yet, give us notice before the Community team is tasked away from the piggies or downsized the point they don’t have any time left to communicate.

To be fair, there may be a Bad Piggies 2 in the works. But without official confirmation, there is no way indie communities can keep the fire stoked and ready for the next sequel. Visitors to respective Pages and YT Channels can notice for themselves, re-hashing old themes doesn’t keep peoples’ attention. And eventually, even die-hard fans of the green characters will move on to other franchises which do support their dedicated fans with more than just occasional content features.

The problem with niche titles like Bad Piggies is, if people move on, they’re not going to be satisfied with Stella, Transformers, or GO. They’ll be looking for games with complex problem solving puzzles if not outright virtual engineering simulators.

So I have been fighting a rear-guard action by my lonesome keeping up some semblance of activity on the Piggy game front for the 14th month now since the last update, but it’s quite obvious it’s going to run out of steam pretty soon.

In the meantime, I’ve done a little to spread the word that pig engineering fans should be prepared to follow the latest updates from Golden Island (Stella’s realm). One cannot accurately roleplay King Pig’s office without KP’s official presence, after all.

Nor will I spend several hours on Photoshop making unique fanart like I used to do, with dwindling viewership and interest. The comments sections of mainstream gaming outlets pretty much says it all, “Who cares about Bad Piggies?

Disclaimer:

The opinions expressed above are those of my own, and only my own. I do not speak for Rovio nor do I know of actual internal policies within Rovio Entertainment Ltd, nor am I aware of changing Community Team priorities. I have no insider knowledge.

I just comment what I felt to have observed and the above overview is not meant to be impartial. I am an average gamer. I follow what is awesome, and move on when it’s not.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.