Modding

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 784 total)
  • Replies
  • You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

Well looks like I’ve come across (hopefully) the last design conflict for the day!

I was making the sprites for Corporal Pig and I was having so much trouble finding a helmet that fits in with the style I’m going for which got me wondering, should I really give him an army-style helmet? or should I give him a medieval one to speed things up? but then again, we never really saw Corporal Pig in anything that had the Pre-toons design (at least not to my knowledge) so should I just go without him and make all the Helmet pigs fat blobs?

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

Here’s a quick mod I made. Replaced the TNT crate with the TNT block from Minecraft!

The armor pig looks way better than the other so I would go for that one, though it doesn’t really fit imo.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio LOL, I remember seeing on youtube once that someone made an 8-bit mod for Angry Birds.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

Haha, I will attempt to change some blocks as well.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio you know, I think by now this modding thread can be considered the underworld of ABN.

Power Pork
    @abginebird

finally! I was always wondering if someone would EVER consider modding or even expanding the older and discontinued AB games. can’t wait to see more :-P

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather There, I replaced some of the wood with the oak planks from Minecraft.

Yep, there’s always hardcore fans like us that go one step beyond and get into modding our favorite games ;) @abginebird

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio I’m beginning to wonder if mods that replace graphics and sound should be called Resouce Packs.

Looks like I’ve come to another design conflict (sadly) In some of the early art, Smoothcheeks has whiskers (not so smooth eh? they’ll have to change his name!) but others, his face is smooth:

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Definitely the right one.

Thepeckybird
    @thepeckybird

@beakymcfeather make sure they are staring directly at the player.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

Looks like Bomb has been cursed too, in the Summer Pignic animation Bomb is colored like his ingame counterpart, but in several posters his beak is shaped oddly and has a pinkish-reddish fuse.

SweetP
    @sweetp

@thepeckybird, why would you want to modify the original AB game (on your PC)?
    Maybe I’m not understanding how you would benefit from changing the LUA files. Just wondering because this would greatly affect the leaderboards if you were to gain extra points from doing so, and change your scores here.

cc: @admins

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@sweetp Then maybe you should add “do not submit scores from modded versions of Angry Birds” to the leaderboard rules.

and while I’m here, why not add a modding section to the Nest? I’m sure many PC players will appreciate it and it might rekindle AB’s popularity in general.

SweetP
    @sweetp

@beakymcfeather, good point! I shall do so momentarily. Thanks.

@admins

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@sweetp I agree with @beakymcfeather, a modding section would be a blow of fresh air for the Nest and AB in general.
    Once I get custom levels to work, I offer to make a guide explaining how to make your own if a modding section is made.
    And about the leaderboards just add a warning about not entering scores from modified versions of the game and problem solved! :)

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

That pink Bomb looks weird haha.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

Is there no escape?! Matilda’s been eaten too! Should she Look like a chicken or her in-game counterpart?

Thepeckybird
    @thepeckybird

The ingame counterpart but the chicken one makes more sense so i can’t decide.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather I agree with @thepeckybird, the left one makes more sense but that’s not how Matilda originally is in the game so I choose the right one.

Thepeckybird
    @thepeckybird

i’ve hit a BIG roadblock. after i decrypted episodes.lua there is no way to convert it to plain text.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@thepeckybird Oh boy, first off I’d back up my game and my progress (there’s a guide on how to do that here) and be sure to zip your vanilla game so the installer for the old version won’t detect it as a newer version. But don’t worry, since most of us here have little experience modding AB we can learn from our mistakes. Second off, I’d try multiple lua editors and see if that does the trick.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

I don’t have very clear if is necesary to encrypt the LUA files of custom levels.
    I remeber I could load a custom level I made a long time ago without doing that but I don’t remeber which version it was! (I know it was a very old one)

Thepeckybird
    @thepeckybird

My 1st mod will be for android and amazon only.

It replaces Bomb bird’s current sound with the old sound.

This doesn’t modify .luas so you can submit scores to the leaderboards.

RizDub
    @rizdub

Keep in mind if you’re editing the image files you might also need to understand their accompanying .dat files, which contain hexadecimal information regarding each sprite’s coordinates, bounding box, and origin point.

I’m going to be trying to make my own image mod as well, but I want to go in the opposite direction as @beakymcfeather in that I want to have Toons-style sprites. The problem is Hal – not only is he not in any games that have Toons-style character animations (so I have to make new ones from scratch), but he has three different designs:
    Three Hals
    The Chrome design seems to be coming back, as it’s in the achievement icons for AB Blast, as well as the Messenger game “Flip the Bird” and the splash screen for AB Messenger. The bottom one appears in the mobile version of AB Friends.
    So I’m not sure which of his designs to use.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@rizdub I plan to make a “conversion mod” I think it’s time to explain how mods should be classified:

Resource Mod – Modifies art and/or sound. (Art mod, Sound mod, Music mod, etc)

Level Mod – Modifies preexisting levels or adds new ones.

Feature Mod – Adds a new feature to the game. (Mighty Eagle, New Birds, Power-ups, etc)

Conversion Mod – A combination of at least two of the above mods, makes the game seem like a new game in a sense.

Total Conversion Mod – modifies the game so heavily there’s almost no trace of the original game.

And as for Hal, I’d just use the Angry Birds Rio 2 sprites as they use his toons design. I’m the pre-toons design because they’re unique in comparison to other games and they’re the most least used design, so I’ll end up using his AB Friends sprites. as for which:

Yep! the INGAME_BIRDS sprite sheets for both of those games! Ripped directly from the .apk files!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 784 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.