Modding

• As my 1st post what does Rovio think of us modding the PC version of the games?

I know this is off-topic but…

I’m trying to mod the original game and it’s very hard as the modding community of angry birds is obscure and doesn’t have much tutorials or resources.

If you guys can give me links to any modding resources or tutorials that’ll be great!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 784 total)
  • Replies
  • Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

Actually the PC versions of Rovio games got discontinued almost 4 years ago so you can freely do whatever you want.
    About AB modding tools I don’t know about any.
    I wonder if there’s any tool to decrypt AB LUA files… That would allow us to create awesome custom levels!

datguygamer
    @datguygamer

@joseantonio If you know hex programming, you can open LUA files in a hex editor and do that.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@Thepeckybird, @joseantonio after some researching I found an old forum right here on ABN discussing an old one. here’s the download. If one was skilled enough, they could create entirely new games… that’s a lot of power. Just gotta keep in mind that with great power, comes great responsibility. (what I’m saying is, don’t abuse it. AB is for all ages and I’m sure no-one wants to see nudity or cursing in an AB game) I would test it if I could but my PC can’t run AB at the moment but I’ll be able to once I upgrade my graphics card. But hey, while we’re at it, let’s ask @admins to create a Modding portion to this site.

This just might bring Rovio back on top.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@datguygamer That’s pretty neat! Sadly I don’t know how to program in hex.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

Soon I’ll begin work on my own mod for AB…

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Your finding is really awesome! Thanks a lot for your research!
    That editor looks very nice! I will definitely give it a try later. Though I don’t have AB Classic for PC.
    Can somebody here give me an old version from 2011 when the level editor was released? (Trial or full version, that’s nor really important)
    I love the idea to have a modding section where we can share our custom levels!
    Good luck with your mod! Don’t forget to share screenshots of your levels!

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio I’ll have to look into that (I may end up buying the disc) and it dosn’t matter because Rovio shut down servers to the PC games. (just type in anything and it’ll accept it) but I plan to use the Pre-Toons design, so I’ll have to make my own sprites since no official ones using that style are available to the public. AB Fight’s sprites are customizable enough so I’m making them through that. already finished Red’s sprites (their a WIP so constructive criticism would help a lot)

Do not steal. Give credit if used.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Those look awesome! But how can you change the sprites? I thought this was a level editor only haha.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

I’m changing the sprites through an external program (PowerPoint) and editing them into sheets through another (Paint.net)

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

Finished the Blues, I’m only gonna post a pig after this because I’d rather keep the rest a  surprise…

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

So, I’ve got two designs for the Pigs, (this is probably how I’ll reveal sprites from now on) so how do like you’re bacon? fat blobs or little round dudes?

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather The Blues with Red’s face look hilarious!
    By the way, I found a very old version of AB Classic for PC, it’s the version 1.6.3.1. For anyone interested you can download it from here.
    Just extract the EXE file and follow the installation. Once you installed the game open it and activate the full version by entering any serial, anything you enter will work, just follow this format: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.

The pig on the left should be the King Pig and the one on the right should be used for the rest of the piggies. Nice sprites by the way!

Also I made a quick level but when I try to load it I only get this error, what I’m doing wrong?
    Error

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

Thanks @joseantonio for you opinion on the pigs, and as for the blues, everything was done that way at one point in AB history, this design wasn’t used much most likely because it was developed by a 3rd-party illustrator. I’m working on more characters as we speak. And thanks for the link to the early version, this’ll help a lot.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Yep, those designs were used until the AB Rio trailer if I’m correct, then they started using the toons art.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio IDK what it could be, maybe you need to replace an existing level? Remember, I can’t do much at the moment because I need to upgrade my graphics card.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Actually I’m replacing the first level. I will just keep messing up and see if I can get it to work…

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio have you tried setting a score required to get 3 stars, 2-stars, etc? that could be the problem.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Do you know how can I do that?

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@joseantonio No. Like I said, I need to upgrade my graphics card, at the moment I can only do DirectX9 and OpenGL 1.1 so I can’t play AB at the moment because it requires OpenGL 1.3. so it’ll be while before I get to the actual “modding” I can play Bad Piggies but you’d neeed Unity to mod that.

RizDub
    @rizdub

There’s something similar to this I’ve been wanting to do for a while.

I’ve been wanting to figure out how to decrypt the LUA files for Angry Birds Stella, and make more chapters for that game. Unfortunately there are two roadblocks for me.
    First, while I have found tutorials on how to find the decryption keys, I don’t know how to follow them – everything is way over my head.
    I’m also not sure how to read the outputs. I’ve seen Lua files for the other slingshot games, and they’re still in a strange layout (not plaintext). There’s an old forum thread on another site that comes from early 2010, when people were already trying to decompile the original game, and there’s a post here that basically describes the issue I have.

You Gotta be Joshing me
    @beakymcfeather

@rizdub Yeah, sadly slingshot games are lot more complex then something like a 1990’s sidescrolling platformer we all have mixed opinions about (I’m looking at you Sonic) but if they weren’t, AB would still be #1

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@beakymcfeather Ah okay. I hope you can start your AB mod soon!

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@rizdub That’s very interesting!

Thepeckybird
    @thepeckybird

Wow the amount of replys are outstanding! As with the level editor i have version 4.0.0 on the laptop and im just extracting the stuff from v 7.9.7 to the PC version of the game. The thing i’m stuck at is removing the “Coming Soon!” thing so that when you finish level 30 of Short Fuse, you can go the new levels.

Antonio231102
    @joseantonio

@thepeckybird That probably requires more than just adding the extra levels…

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 784 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.