Has Rovio abandoned PC?

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Has Rovio abandoned PC?

Viewing 8 replies - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Replies
  • Uncle B
    @uncle-b

For all Angry Bird players on the ol’ PC
    it’s a HAPPY DAY as I’m sure you’ll agree.
    For a new Rovio update has thankfully appeared,
    we have NOT been ABANDONED as doubters had feared.

So let’s have some Angry Bird fun as we go on to explore
    Space Beak Impact with 40 new levels and a little bit more!

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

Great news @uncle-b, thanks for notifying :)

Ironically AB:Space is the only Bird title I ever play, and I have not purchased it for PC. Time to rectify that ‘small’ bit of oversight!

In any case, it is known that the games are developed for iOS first then ported over to Android, PC and other platforms. This is logical as all pre-release review invitations sent out are exclusive to iOS.

SnTrooper
    @sntrooper

Star Wars II is up to date now too. They even included the carbonite melts (which I figured they wouldn’t). So now only the second half of Short Fuse in Original is missing. Rovio must be waiting to include it with the next update like they did the second half of Rise and Swine in Bad Piggies.

DaBoid
    @daboid

I’ve been playing SWII on my PC, after having completed it on my iPhone.

It’s almost a whole different game on the PC because of the abundance of coins. When I got the new update, I started out with something like 37000 coins. Now I have a bunch more.

I have been buying characters without any worry about rationing out precious coins. Need a few more Tusken Raiders? No problem. Click. Buy.

I can experiment around with character swaps, trying different characters in different places without worry about running out of coins. It’s a lot more fun, in my opinion.

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

The interesting thing about PC versions is that Rovio may (possibly) make less money off of it due to the lack of in-app purchases. However, without the annoying distraction of the in app purchases (or worse, ads after every level), gameplay experience on the PC versions are drastically improved and more immersive in a way.

Could this focus on revenue hinder the proliferation of PC-only titles? Did ABGO’s PC port get canned from the get-go because of the lack of IAPs and complications with social network integration?

It’s quite an interesting discussion to me because if someone made a quality PC game I would have no issues with forking out upwards of $70 in local currency to play and keep it. And ditto for the expansion packs or paid DLCs in future. The key here is quality. And another big plus for PC games to me is the ability to go back to the game in future, install the latest and greatest community mods and keep the title alive for just about, forever. Like Fallout 3 / NV and Mount&Blade: Warband which are my favourites. More recently, there were the awesome X-Com remakes. Buy once, play forever. Epic unbeatable value.

In my opinion I would love to see Rovio have a small niche market for quality PC-only games (not just mobile game ports) with a higher degree of complexity and immersion.

Bad Piggies to me is half the “PC Game” equation perfected. All it needed was more ‘simulation’ tools and persistent world implementation in the sandbox for multi-vehicle ops and base building. Building incredible machines feels lame when there’s no big world to use them in (or mechagodzillas to battle against!), and worse, no way to save them in a ‘garage’ for future deployment sans the need to look at screenshots at reassemble them.

The concept of Bad Piggies, if taken further, could have resulted in some sort of 2D ground-based Kerbal Space Program, but alas, we would likely not see this idea come to fruition. The PC Simulation market is just not profitable enough, I guess!

Kelani
    @kelani

@les-toreadors Ever looked at sales figures for Sims or Flight Simulator franchises? :) There’s definitely a market, but you’re probably correct that the profit potential is lower for tongue-in-cheek sims like BP, which live in a Wile. E. Coyote-esque world.

I agree about Bad Piggies being half a perfect PC game. I would love to see what your ideas (and a large mod community) would do for it. With more available tools, parts, scenarios and multiplayer capability, that game could probably be used to win an X-prize.

Wendy
    @wendy26

I would pay to buy games like Angry Bird Go or Epic or Stella if they were made for the PC.

Can anyone explain why these newer games are only made for mobile or tablet?

Is there some logic for doing games for only those mobile platforms? You would think that once the game is out there and released, it wouldn’t be too much trouble to also release a PC version.

Anyway, if anyone can explain that, much appreciated … love Angry Birds, but am not inclined to play the games on tiny devices.

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

@wendy26 – we were just discussing this topic in a recent thread. You’ll find up to date sharings on the topic here:

PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Has Rovio abandoned PC?

Viewing 8 replies - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.