Forum Poll: Cheating Tolerance??

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Forum Poll: Cheating Tolerance??

• This goes out to the entire community…
    While I haven’t tried any of these tricks… At least not yet, they say never say never right?

Why is it seemingly OK to use emulaters and other likewise software to let the game play while the user has no interaction with the game (especially while asleep) but yet we come down so hard on hackers and the like???

I mean, the results are you go to sleep at one level and wake up with your birds at a much higher level. Snoutlings increase dramatically as well as resources. The hacker spends less time to get the same effect. Please don’t use the fact that hackers can do more things. Personally, I don’t know how long it takes them to do what they do, other than it’s faster.

This question is to offend anyone. To me it just seems like some have more tools than others. Have they both tempted me? Yes.. Have I no.

So really why is one more tolerated than the other (like previously time jumping)??
    Please also keep in mind, this is about making better birds.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Replies
  • Angry Johnny
    @angryjohnny

Hacking OR cheating has been tolerated as long as it is in the non-multiplayer part of the game since it has a minimum impact on other players.

When hacking/cheating is done in the events and/or arena then if affects a multitude of other people in a negative way and as such spoils the gaming experience for them and might even force them to spend money to be able to continue playing.

KillerKea
    @killerkea

There are all types of cheating and some are more severe than others. A hacker can give birds impossibly high levels, health, damage, etc so the hacker will always win or be in 1st place in the arena or events.

Someone using an emulator with macros to repeat tasks can’t effectively cheat in multiplayer. I consider using the emulator cheating too and I won’t do it. Others don’t and can have their fun using it, but it does give them a slight advantage in multiplayer since they are likely to have rank 10 birds. However I got all my birds to rank 10 without cheating faster than some of the people who used emulators simply by using the dojo.

There are game exploits that you may or may not consider cheating. One example is when you could spin on a friend’s GPM and get a set item everyday. They didn’t fix that for 3+ months. There are some exploits that haven’t been mentioned and I’ll leave it up to you to decide whether it is cheating or not. One example that I think no one has mentioned here yet is that when you get a special offer for potions you can buy it, then immediately quit and reload the game and keep taking advantage of that special offer. I’ve been able to buy 100+ potions until the timed offer ran out, but they sort of patched this so the game will periodically synchronize so you may only be able to get 10-30 potions this way now.

LondoJowo
    @londojowo

I don’t know emulators other are using but Blue Stacks synchronizes every time I start the app. I also don’t see how one could use a macro to select a game, play, spin, and then start the process all over again.

As for hacked birds I haven’t run across any in the past two weeks. I’ve only lost 5 games total in the same time frame. 45/10 in all birds/classes. I have level 45 weapon sets and diamond arena sets (all possible per bird and arena)

FreckledPig147
    @freckledpig147

Software that grinds during inactivity doesn’t seem very effective for hackers. But if you try to search up something about [how to hack Epic], you often get modded emulator download websites, which would allow you to keep adding Lucky Coins/Snoutlings/etc. Rovio has done too little to stop hackers from overriding leaderboards with scores of -1 (however, it seems that people won’t earn any snoutlings at the end for doing so, but who cares about 1,400 Snoutlings?) and clog up advancement. Maybe someone should send a message to Rovio suggesting to temporarily close down PvP after Season 2 for a certain period for bug checks or similar before starting Season 3.

TriPolar
    @tripolar

I hear what you guys are saying… Appreciate the feedback too.
    To me the game exploites are not really cheating, since it is easily available to anyone playing the game. I have yet to be on time to take advantage of them or just lack the know-how. To me, it’s like finding the $20 on the street and nobody around to think that they may have dropped it.

HarleyM
    @harleym

To me there is a clear distinction between things that actually modify the game’s coding and things that don’t. The former are clearly unacceptable. The latter are at least defensible, if not truly acceptable.

FreckledPig147
    @freckledpig147

Usually when I use an exploit, I don’t feel guilty because I know that there a probably at least a thousand players using the same cheat, and it doesn’t hurt anyone like cheating does in the arena. Also, I usually only get around 1 week to use it before Rovio surprise-patches it.

Dixi 60
    @dixi-60

I am intolerant of cheaters, hackers and any form of exploitation of the games.

I don’t care how anyone tries to justify using devices that give advantage – it’s not sporting and not tolerated in any guise by me.

To cheat a little is to cheat! Using an exploit – you are still a cheat!

KillerKea
    @killerkea

@dixi-60 I understand your point of view. However the fact that Rovio hasn’t done enough to stop cheaters is also unacceptable.

There are grey areas where there are many bugs in the game which work against you like getting stunned multiple rounds when the enemy has nothing that can stun you. There are also some bugs that can work in your favor sometimes like what I described above.

In a way Rovio is cheating because the game definitely isn’t working the way they intended and isn’t fair to anyone who plays in the arena or events where others can hack their score to take 1st. They really need to ban cheaters or delete the cheaters accounts. Virtually every other site will not tolerate cheaters.

Dixi 60
    @dixi-60

Two wrongs don’t make a right either.

Rovio appear to be trying to weed out the cheaters so until you can prove Rovio are cheaters too I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I’m proud to be a non-cheater!

angryde
    @angryde

Jesus. Isn’t this debate provoking strong emotions!?! Perhaps I’m overly glib about such matters… but it’s just a stupid game! Honestly, @dixi-60, and I mean this with all due respect, I don’t think that @killerkea has rendered himself morally bankrupt for taking a few liberties with Rovio’s latest cash-cow… the entire situation, exchange, call it what you will, is far from ideal. THAT – I think – was his overall point: in other words, what’s good for the disorganized (corporate) goose is good for the opportunistic (consumer) gander. I call marginal and circumstantial fair-play (within reason). And that’s coming from a ‘non-cheater.’ Lol.

FreckledPig147
    @freckledpig147

@dixi-60 Personally I have not seen sufficient evidence to prove that Rovio has taken any real action (not simply being passive and blocking simple exploits like the objective reset methods after an update) to stop cheating, e.g. banning. Technically, Rovio could be cheaters in the fact that only they could be responsible for making PvP so difficult (1 – Coin toss, 2 – OP enemies), leaving the countless glitches unresolved (which could cost real money to some), while still charging the prices they put in the game, to a point where some players (but not me) would actually believe it is fraudulent or even just extremely unfair. Who’s fault could it be to have cheaters and ghosts rampant on the leaderboards? It could be the cheaters for starting it in the first place, but it is Rovio’s in that they had somewhat disappointing progress lately to prevent cheating. Whenever Rovio has done anything with a cheater, they have NEVER removed them, only demote them ONE rank — insufficient, of course. What’s worse is that the chance of being demoted such is almost ZERO. At this point, it’s getting too far.

Dixi 60
    @dixi-60

It’s not a debate, it’s a question – Do you tolerate cheating in effect.

The short answer will always be NO for me. If at any time I feel Rovio are encouraging or blindsiding cheating I’m out of here for good. The only way to put pressure on Rovio is for everyone to write regularly telling them about specific incidents where you believe cheating is taking place. I have done this a few times but feel like a lone voice and not being taken seriously because of he apparent apathy of the majority. My last communication to Rovia is on Angrybirdsnest somewhere, I’ll find the link and put it here.

Letter I sent to Rovio a month ago

Possibly a hacker in my league.

I don’t see the point of joining the cheaters or justifying their actions if we want Rovio to clear them out.

There is another way to pressure Rovio – don’t buy coins and power-ups! Starve them of our cash till they sort out the cheating. So who’ll join me? I haven’t purchased power-ups for over a month. I rely on daily gifts from fair players on three ABF’s Facebook groups until the cheats are banished – believe me Rovio could do a better job but what will be the point if everyone cheats.

Dixi 60
    @dixi-60

Freckled Pig – I have written about Rovio’s demotion policy on The Nest and not had much support from other members.

My posts relating to Rovio taking hard earned and paid for score off me week after week.
    Links: https://www.angrybirdsnest.com/members/dixi-60/

Hopefully you read the very long post that outlines my argument and maybe you and others can start telling Rovio you don’t feel it’s fair either.

FreckledPig147
    @freckledpig147

@dixi-60 I don’t buy IAPs and I won’t for the near future, so Rovio’s got no revenue from me directly. ;) We could also pressure them to refund LC because of the heavy cheating, because you would need desperate measures to get to Diamond League if you were Lv. 45 now. (in other words, spending LC to get more banners)

Back on topic, I highly despise cheating, although I would use exploits simply to earn random in-game things and NOT for an easy competition. It still seems wrong that a popular mobile game developer does not use conventional methods just to make their games more enjoyable and fair for the majority that doesn’t use any 3rd-party mods to actively modify their score in PvP. I don’t know what Rovio could do about unauthorised? emulators that let hackers do ANYTHING. I definitely know it’s just a little game, and when other Rovio games came, they won’t appear for a while, until hackers figure out the interface and cause havoc. To re-answer @tripolar ‘s question, exploits are often tolerated more because people figure out that it doesn’t hurt anyone to use them, and no one can deter them from using them; not the law, not Rovio, not other players either. When Rovio usually patches exploits, that never really discourages people from finding other flaws to exploit. Meanwhile, cheating is hated because people are really FORCED to be cheated on, and it DOES hurt other players. Yet again, neither the law nor Rovio is discouraging them from hacking the game. So I guess ‘tolerance’ of cheating really depends on who you are asking, a fair player who has never seen an injustice, a fair player who has been a victim of cheating, or a blatant hacker.

angryde
    @angryde

Respectfully, @dixi-60, it is a debate. As not everyone will hold to your particular interpretation of what constitutes ‘cheating’ in this specific context. Especially given the fact that the ‘context’ in question — as several contributors have already pointed out — is (already) fundamentally corrupted by the worst sort of profit-mongering + corporate bad-faith. So, I guess, to some, ‘answering your question’ is a little like stressing the need for morality in a moral vacuum. Lol. Please know that I’m not being contrary for the sake of it… I really do appreciate where you’re coming from AND I respect your passion. However, I can also empathize with ‘the cheaters,’ the fiscally downtrodden, the betrayed, call them what you will… I’d also like to point out that while I have considered taking liberties… I lack the technical proficiency, and/or will, to actually take them. A sad state of affairs indeed. Lol.

Dixi 60
    @dixi-60

I do appreciate where everyone is coming from and I wish this conversation was not necessary. It is a sad state of affairs all round.

Neomerlinmagic
    @neomerlinmagic

We’ve all received at least a few benefits caused by Rovio’s programming failures and bugs, so I believe most if not all can’t say they’ve never benefited from an exploit or two. I’ve never cheated or cared about cheaters, until the first several weeks into season one of PVP. After about 4 weeks of being pummeled by cheaters, I learned very quickly that I can’t compete with that, so I started using the Golden Cloud Pig exploit to get extra LCs. I needed to at least get those birds that I didn’t have, but kept getting required to use for daily objectives. So in closing, like most of the others, I hate cheating. With that said, I think taking advantage of an exploit to be a gray area and direct manipulation of game code and scores to be outright cheating.

KillerKea
    @killerkea

@dixi-60 Every game has rules. In many games people often break the rules. Let’s use basketball as an example, but you can make a similar comparison with other sports or games. Players often intentionally foul another player. They are breaking the rules when they foul someone and being penalized for it, but near the end of a game when one team is trailing you will see the losing team often foul the other so they can get the ball back quicker and have a better chance to win. This is part of the game and every team does it.

You are being a bit of a hypocrite when you say you don’t cheat. I read a post from you where you said you made a Facebook account just for playing Rovio games. That is cheating because you violated Facebook’s policy. You have given yourself a much greater advantage than I gave myself buying healing potions at a discount because potions don’t affect multiplayer events. Having a Facebook account gets you many advantages like friends for the caves, tons of essence, an extra lucky coin each day, more spins on both the GPM and GAPM and less spins needed to fill up the rainbow on both due to friends using them.

Zack Voyager
    @zackvoyager

For me, there are 3 types of cheating :
    1. Arena & events hackers. I find them pretty disgusting. WHY BOTHER OTHERS ????!!!! (@admins Sorry for caps, change it if you want). Seriously…

2. Stats hackers. I do not understand them. If you’re playing, why put your XP at 999,999, your HP at 1,000,000 and so on ? Trivia : it just remembers me a tweak in the Cookie Clickers game which unlocks all achievements and give you 10^10 cookies. This tweak is called “Ruin the fun”. It’s exactly what I mean.

3. Lucky Coins hackers. If I could hack a little million of LCs, I would honestly do it. Why ? First, because Rovio is making a big scam with it. Second, because it doesn’t ruin the fun. You could buy Snouts, Mastery, Classes, Potions, almost infinitely. And I can say a great number of players would like to do it. So I agree only with these cheaters.

@killerkea
    I also have a fake account. I don’t see the problem… It only helped me to unlock some Friendship Gates…

Zack Voyager
    @zackvoyager

@freckledpig147 I just typed “how to hack Epic” on Google. 100 % of them do need to complete a “survey”, so you must contract a subscription for a lame WoW-type game, or download a game or a ring for your mobile phone, using a system called SMS+ (perhaps exclusive to France) which increases your phone bill by €4.50 each time they send you the game or ads (so, one time a day). I’ve read about teenagers with a €150-200 phone bill because of the SMS+. BTW I have neither a bank/PayPal account nor a mobile, so I can’t have this. The other way to hack is to download on your phone (using a folder software) a hacker’s file, and that works…

Notes : € 4.50 = $ 5.06 = £ 3.23
    € 150 = $ 168.75 = £ 107.67
    € 200 = $ 224.96 = £ 143.56

KillerKea
    @killerkea

@zackvoyager There are many forms of cheating. Some more severe than others. I know a huge number of EPIC players have cheated fake accounts to play this game. Facebook’s policy says you must use your true identity when creating an account so technically you are cheating since you aren’t following the rules. Some people actually had their fake Facebook accounts disabled, but Facebook doesn’t have time to go after people who create fake accounts so the odds of this happening to you are pretty slim.

Dixi 60 was on her high horse saying how much she dislikes cheaters and that she doesn’t accept any reason people will give to justify cheating. I just wanted to point out that she should look in the mirror before casting the first stone.

FreckledPig147
    @freckledpig147

@zackvoyager I didn’t actually mean searching “how to hack Epic” exactly, but just searching ways to hack the game in general. Plus on the Google Play Store, there a ton of jailbreak apps to modify the game :P, which proves that there are way too many 3rd party hack mods. Plus, I’ve seen at least a dozen hack tools for Epic to add LC, Snoutlings, and FE. It wouldn’t be too hard for someone to find a way to hack the PvP scores like that…

Zack Voyager
    @zackvoyager

@freckledpig147 The problem with the hack tools is indeed the “surveys”. So it’s almost impossible to hack Rovio Games without jailbreaking or rooting your device. Using this way, you can easily install an app which allows you to modify the game’s code to change your stats…

HarleyM
    @harleym

@killerkea That might violate Facebook’s ToS, but it doesn’t violate Rovio’s. With your logic, if I was stealing my neighbor’s internet to make this post I would be “cheating” the forums, and if I was using it to play the game I would be “cheating” in the game. It might be breaking the law, but it wouldn’t be cheating. If Rovio’s ToS said something about us only being able to use legitimate Facebook accounts, then you would have a point.

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Forum Poll: Cheating Tolerance??

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.