Daily Challenge – what's the verdict?

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Daily Challenge – what's the verdict?

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 746 total)
  • Replies
  • RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

If only the game would wait until all birds and all pigs and all blocks have finished moving, flying and swaying around… I shot my last bird in today’s DC and while King Pig clearly wasn’t circling around in an endless loop, the game still prompted me to spend 60 gems to “finish the level”. Did so because I wanted the feathers, and just a few seconds later, King Pig hit a block and was killed. I did not fling a single of the 3 birds I got.

David Martin
    @david-martin

I’d imagine that determining whether objects/birds on screen are bouncing around in an infinite loop, or in a pattern that will eventually terminate, is a tricky task. (I actually did my college thesis on something similar, though just related to computer programs and infinite loops in general, not specifically games.) I agree that having a longer time limit before the game determines that you’ve lost would be better. They gave us the fast forward button for a reason. If someone presses that, it’s fine to just call it a loss if nothing happens in a few more seconds.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

David, I have had the boss getting tossed around and taking more and more damage after using my last bird, and the game tells me I lost. Spent 60 gems and didn’t use any of the birds. Boss died in less than a minute. That is aggravating.

Drama, used your tip this morning and it worked well. Still lost the lives but I didn’t have to beat the first two levels again. Thank you for that tip.

David Martin
    @david-martin

@captsternn – Yeah, I’ve learned with certain bosses to just not fire my last bird unless he comes to a complete stop. I’ll just put the phone down and go get a snack or something. I feel like they designed certain bosses with the intent that they will bounce around endlessly, unharmed, and you basically have to hit a moving target to dislodge him from his endless pattern, so I’m not sure if the off-chance that he’ll glance off of something solid and gradually suffer the death of a thousand papercuts was the intended strategy.

(Dear Rovio: Please don’t interpret that as a bug, because “fixing” it would make these bosses even more massively infuriating to fight than they already are.)

hourlongdrama
    @hourlongdrama

@captsternn Glad it worked for you!

I’m brand-new to this board, so please forgive me if everyone has already known about this forever, but if you play on your iPhone you can also set the clock ahead a couple of hours and it refills your lives. Then as soon as you open the AB app you can re-set the clock back to the correct time, and you can do this over and over until you win the DC.

Y’all probably already know that so my complete apologies if it’s a total repeat, but I just figured it out a couple weeks ago while playing Angry Birds Pop and it works for Angry Birds 2 and I was pretty excited lol.

DJLarryt
    @djlarryt

Wednesday Challenge, all your best friends on the same boards: Magician pigs, magic wand pigs, wrench-throwing construction pigs, balloon pigs. Total bird wasters. I never even SAW the final boss let alone have a chance to defeat him.

$$$GEMS$$$

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

The first two levels were fairly easy for me actually. But the boss level made me pull my hair out from frustration. This stupid Foreman Pig boss where you have to hit him around the corner… I used the tip from above so I got six tries to clear the boss level. No luck. I gave up after that and played some regular levels instead.

LSALT007
    @lsalt007

LOL!!!!! So the last 2 days I have beaten the D.C. and as soon as it goes to reward me my first Red Chest reward (all of my birds are level 8 now so it rewards me 2 Red Chests,a Duck and a CHILLI card) right when it goes to open the game resets/closes out COMPLEATLY and reopens to show that I have lost a life and that the D.C. has still yet to be beaten!! LOL!! I have beaten the D.C. for the last 2 days, twice each day, both logged in to Facebook and not logged in with the same result each day!! Yesterday was the first time it has ever happened while playing the D.C. and it is SO FRUSTRATING to go through that and get nothing MULTIPLE TIMES! Not to even mention I won the last tournament and didn’t get any gems from that but I’m in the process of getting that from Rovio but this D.C. thing has me SUPER SALTY after it has happened today for the second day /4th time in a row!! Anyone else have this happen to them by chance or am I the only LUCKEY ONE?

David Martin
    @david-martin

Man, I don’t even think I’d bother with the DC if my birds were all level 8. I guess you’d get some spells or gems from the deal… but it doesn’t seem worth the effort to me, as I only care about spells and gems in the sense that they can help me to get feathers faster.

Dwhite
    @dwhite40704

LSALT- You can read my posts and this thread and see that I’ve had the exact same problem as you. We must have a certain bug or something.

LSALT007
    @lsalt007

It SUCKS that this ‘bug’ just decided to hit 2days ago and I’ve had ZERO problems prior to this wonderful experience. Lol!

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

Today’s DC was quite easy – and finally, Mathilda is at level 4 too. My birds are all gold! :)

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

Almost too easy for me, Yoshi. Decided to kill a few minutes waiting for the arena to open up so I had a look at the DC. Got through it on the first try, nowhere near needing to burn any gems. Not complaining, I will take that any time. Even got an ME spell out of the deal.

DJLarryt
    @djlarryt

Wow, funny how this works out. I basically walked into the boss screen then got it stuck to me. Was kind of uncanny how the Foreman Pig got knocked around then gently, ever so gracefully floated into a crevice BOTH TIMES I made it there, and got wedged in so no birds could dislodge him >:-( only take direct hits….

Well at least I got a new Game Center award today, “Epic Fail: throw 10 birds without popping a single pig”.

reddie
    @reddie250

Hello fellow bird-flingers, newbie to this forum here.

I’ve got one bird in diamond level (blues). The others on their way to level 8. I did today’s Daily Challenge 10 freaking times. Lemme say that this boss level is my MOST HATED ONE of the entire game (from level 254). I had to spend gems like some of you and I still didn’t even pass it. I had to give up afterwards. I sure hope the DC doesn’t involve the Pigsyland ones in the future. It’s just brutal.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

Some types of levels seem to fit a persons playing style better than others. What is easy for one is a pain in the behind for others. I struggle on the water levels in the arena but almost never have any competition when the levels are the anti-gravity towers.

AngryBroaf
    @shoemacher

@capstemn Say, what’s the secret to gravity grove? It’s the DC I’m most inclined to skip. I get all the way to the second to last room, or even see the boss, but with not enough birds to finish. Care to share, or will you take this to the grave? I’d wager this is your competitive advantage in the arena!

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

@reddie250
    Oh I feel your pain… I just did level 246 in regular gameplay. Chef Pig who you need to knock down from a tall position after clearing structures at the bottom.
    I guess level 254 is where you have to “free” Foreman Pig from his cell around the corner? I got that on yesterday’s DC…

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

It isn’t really easy to explain, Broaf. I just seem to have a knack for lining up my shots with certain birds to topple them and fall through the portals when portals are present, leading to much more destruction. For me those structures are really flimsy and through repetition I know their weak spots. Only suggestion I could offer is don’t hold back unless you know you can knock one down with a weak bird like blues. If I have a bomb bird, I use him pretty quickly. Bomb, Red, Terrence and Matilda work best in the anti-gravity levels for me.

But I think it is just repetition most of all. I could probably do better in water levels if I went back and experimented using the water to my advantage. My birds seem a bit hydrophobic so I am always looking for other ways around obstacles.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Since the water levels and Gravity Grove are much later in the game, there tends to be less fierce competition because not all players are familiar with the room layouts and the common places you’ll want to fire your birds to knock down multiple structures. I agree with @captsternn that practice makes perfect. I’m pretty sure Rovio intended this as a carrot for people to actually go through and suffer the pain of playing those levels if they hadn’t already.

For the water levels, I too am afraid of firing my birds into the water because I will pretty much always guess the trajectory wrong and bump the underside of an island on my way back up (or miss a scuba pig I’m trying to hit). Often I’ve noticed that when there are multiple scuba pigs, they’re lined up in such a way that you can get them with a single bird that will then pop up from the surface and hit a far structure on the right. Either that or there will be flowers strategically positioned to fire debris at the scuba pigs if you can knock some in there. No guarantees due to the semi-random level generation, but that appears to be the intent – making it look like you have to waste an extra bird on a stray pig when in reality you may not have to.

For the gravity levels, it’s usually a question of push vs. pull (do I want to knock this structure forward or undermine it so that it falls backward?), and understanding how the portals contribute to potential chain reaction. Gravity Grove confused me like nothing else for the first several levels, but eventually I got a feel for roughly how things would change trajectory as it left its local “gravity zone”. These levels remind me of AB Space at times, so if you suffered through that game or the space levels in Star Wars, it’ll probably be easier to adapt.

For level 254, you can easily defeat the boss with a single bird if you have Bomb. The boss is in his “cell” right below your slingshot. Just fire him down at the top right corner of the cell and detonate – this should pop the balloon holding him in and he’ll fall off the bottom of the screen after one or two bounces. I feel like I must have discovered the Bomb shortcut by complete accident, and I’ve honestly never been able to pull off the “proper” solution with other birds when I’m unfortunate enough to get to this one without Bomb, so when I know this Boss is coming, I save him up. Not that it’s going to help anyone today because it was part of yesterday’s challenge, but I’d seen level 254 in a challenge not too long before that, so sometimes they repeat bosses, you never know.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

Been thinking about your comment, David. I think this is why I am so addicted to AB2. I have complained in the past that games these days are too simple, to repetitive, like the older versions of Angry Birds, Seasons, Star Wars I and II and even Space, same thing over and over. Back in the mid to late 1990’s games like flight simulators were tough and more so when playing in on-line multiplayer mode, and more than that when teams would form. A person had to learn to pilot, teams would come up with strategies. With AB we have this place with all the walk throughs.

But there aren’t really any such things with AB2. The randomness of the levels and rooms, random cards/birds, ability to choose from a select few and move them around and constantly adding new levels makes it more of a learning experience. A person has to play, practice and develop strategies, more fluid instead of rigid like older versions. I still have the older versions and all my progress in them, but I hardly ever play them any more. AB2 is a little more like Chess (maybe Checkers, but I never played Checkers much). Of course not near the skill level of a good Chess player, but maybe you get my meaning?

David Martin
    @david-martin

@captsternn: YES. This, despite all of my constant complaints about how it can often create unfair scenarios, is ultimately what I love about the game and why I feel that it is an improvement on a series that I already enjoyed. I find that I can’t really go back and play the old AB games much, either – there’s clearly a static solution intended for most of the levels that, once you’ve figured it out, makes them not terribly enjoyable to play again. Sometimes I experience the joy of coming up with a different solution than what seems to have been intended, but I feel like I have to exercise that sort of ingenuity much more in AB2.

A lot of games have finite puzzles to solve because there was finite time to develop a set of levels. Once you figure this out, the solution doesn’t change, and it’s basically up to mind memory and muscle memory to complete a level. In the old days, that was just a limitation of the medium for the most part, but I feel like a cleverly designed game will change up those expected solutions to keep players thinking. At least, I appreciate the aspects of a game that will challenge my brain even when I think it’s familiar. I appreciate the extra effort taken on the part of the developers to create a wide possible variety of scenarios while at least playtesting those scenarios enough to make sure they’re reasonably challenging. It can really change the replay value of a game and thus the bang for your buck you get out of buying it (at least, back when it was acceptable to charge a one-time fee for a game upfront – that seems to be taboo nowadays because people expect their apps to be “free”.)

The other games I play most frequently on my phone are Plants Vs. Zombies and Ticket to Ride (I play the latter in “meatspace” a lot, too). Both have fairly basic strategies that evolve over time as you get into new worlds/expansions of the game, but in any individual round of the game, you might implement your strategies differently even if the map/level layout/enemies are always more or less the same. In Plants Vs. Zombies, trial and error has let me to a subset of weapons I’m most comfortable with that will usually fend off the advancing hordes well enough, but the appearance of certain enemies or high numbers of them might cause me to deviate from my usual strategy, plus it’s fun to experiment and challenge myself. In Ticket to Ride, the better maps have a wide enough variety of destinations and possible routes to connect them that pretty much every hand you can be dealt requires you to adapt your strategy in some way you might not have been anticipating.

That’s just the sort of game I like, because if it’s up to sheer memorization of a sequence of moves, I’ll get bored and/or frustrated with having to keep doing the same thing reflexively every time and not being challenged to “think outside the box” in some way.

Even with old-school board games, if there’s one optimal strategy where you can pretty much always win if you never deviate from it, I’ll get bored as soon as I figure it out or someone else spoils it for me. I had quite the appreciation for chess in my younger days because it was one of those “easy to learn the basic moves, but takes a lifetime to really master it” sorts of situations.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

Now you are just selling other games to me, David. I will have to look into them.

Chess was the game back in my day.

Glad somebody understands. Now back to the tournament. ;)

Oh, and how the heck do I beat level 569? I get within one micropig and that is it. Grrr.

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

Damn my fingers are still shaking. (NOT a good thing if you play a slingshot game! XD)
    This DC was another hellish one. Chemist and poof-you’re-a-teddybear-now pigs, and a boss level where the four rooms before the boss drained your bird count. Thankfully, on attempt #5 I had a lot of luck. (After already wasting 60 gems on attempt #2. Bomb hit a wall because I messed up some major pixel work and exploded where I didn’t need him. :()

Mighty Screamer-ingame
    @simon-mosegaard

Didn’t find todays DC particular difficult. Perhaps I was lucky, I had 4 birds into the boss room. Had been there once before, and failed, so I had my strategy ready :)
    I cleared the top of the room with a couple of birds, and the shot Terrence directly onto the boss and watched the havoc he created, finally the boss’ planks broke and he fell down :)

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Daily Challenge – what's the verdict?

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 746 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.