New Arena: problems and suggestions for fixing

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum New Arena: problems and suggestions for fixing

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 204 total)
  • Replies
  • AndalayBay
    @andalaybay

I don’t mind people using spells in the arena. Thus far, I haven’t found them to be a factor in whether I win the match or not. However being awarded a spell can be deadly. If I’m given a blizzard, then I’m just being shorted a card. I’ve managed to use most of the others in situations that don’t really penalize me, but the only spell card I would find truly useful would be Mighty Eagle. I only use ME when I’m facing a level that would require two or three birds to clear.

So I would say to limit the spell awards to Mighty Eagle or just remove spell awards completely from the arena. When I say “awards”, I mean the extra cards you receive when you fill the destruction meter. If people want to bring spell cards in, then let them, but perhaps limit the number of spell cards to three.

furby69
    @furby69

@AndalayBay
    I believe spell awards in the arena are being removed in the next update.

AndalayBay
    @andalaybay

@furby69, yeah that’s what Clovos said. I just wanted to put in my two cents. :D

hooksfan
    @hooksfan

@furby69 we will have to respectfully disagree on spell usage being a disadvantage according to you. If you think the Mighty Eagle barely does any damage then you don’t know how to use him correctly. I’ve only found the Mighty Eagle to be useless against glass structures. I agree with your assessment on the ice spell and the falling ducks are somewhat limited as to how they drop and where. The last person I played that used all spells had two birds one level below mine. I only had one at a level 4. After two screens their score was at 1.7 million while mine was just under 800,000. The first screen I had a single structure that I totally cleared.

Brandon Davis
    @brandon-davis

Sooooo, is this a glitch? I screenshotted my current arena even though I said I wouldn’t play this again till fixed. Now seems even more messed up.

http://s17.postimg.org/9nowmcibj/image.png

Sutekh137
    @sutekh137

@hooksfan, @furby69

I wouldn’t say the Mighty Eagle doesn’t do damage — the problem is you don’t get the SCORE for that damage.

Just this morning I drew into a chili. Worthless. I watched the damage it did and how much my score increased. The chili actually shot quite well, landing on a pig in the center of a single structure — everything was blown to pieces. Score increase? 90,000 points.

On the next level there was a single structure that I launched Silver (x5) into. Again, full clearing of the structure. Score increase? 450,000. That makes sense, as it is five times what a spell does sans multipliers).

(No, the scores weren’t exactly 90K and 450K, but it was dang close.)

So, if I had gotten the bird I should have gotten (Bomb) instead of a chili, I would have had roughly 350,000 more points at the end, probably a 6-star win instead of a 5-star win. That’s a straight-up loss of a star I would have had if spells were eliminated from the Arena or implemented differently. No other way of looking at it.

The only advantage I see to spells is to clean up a level when a pig rolls into a place impossible to get at with your current birds. That’s still some expensive clean-up, though.

Thanks,
    sutekh137

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@brandon-davis — It may not be a glitch. I’ve noticed that a lot of people have stopped playing the area (including me). You may have gotten lucky in drawing a league filled with non-players.

furby69
    @furby69

@hooksfan
    “If you think the Mighty Eagle barely does any damage then you don’t know how to use him correctly.”

The Mighty Eagle has 1 single purpose and that is not to deal massive amounts of damage. It’s best used on levels where pigs are spread out across the map that would need several birds to fully clear. The damage it deals is highly dependent on the layout of the level and is usually only effective against tall structures.

“After two screens their score was at 1.7 million while mine was just under 800,000. The first screen I had a single structure that I totally cleared.”

That is absolutely irrelevant and the only reason the score differs so much when playing against players with a full spell deck is because they use several cards at once and clear multiple levels in the process so that their number of cards matches the ones in your hand as has been explained many times before.

@sutekh137

Agreed that getting a spell in the arena as an award is very detrimental to your final score and that just serves as further proof that spell users don’t have any significant advantage compared to non-spell users.

@mvnla2

That was to be expected, the future of the arena doesn’t look very bright unless we receive some significant improvements soon. Once the hype completely dies down Rovio will realize that the new arena’s “success” was only short term.

Sutekh137
    @sutekh137

@furby69

I do think STARTING with spell cards is an advantage, as it helps soften the structures up in certain ways. Because Strikes and Birdies barely matter any more when end scores are in the millions instead of the hundreds of thousands. Spell cards are just gravy — they can’t really hurt.

But drawing into cards is definitely NOT an advantage — it’s most certainly a disadvantage no matter how one looks at it.

Thanks,
    sutekh137

furby69
    @furby69

@sutekh137
    Of course in certain situations they do help, if you’re lucky enough to have the right cards at the right time but that’s just RNG, you shouldn’t forget about the disadvantages they bring either.

The way most levels are designed in the arena, you can clear them with a single bird unless you get a really bad hand. In later levels you might need more than a bird and that’s where spells would help you, but if you get them in your hand too soon then it increases the chances of not having the right birds to get strikes in the early levels.

Sutekh137
    @sutekh137

@furby69

Yeah, but like I said, strikes don’t matter much. *smile*

I come across plenty of levels that I can’t strike. For example, wood/glass structures spread far apart with no fan to give the birds more speed. You might get lucky and blow one up enough that something then blows the other one, but I find that to be the exception.

But you are right about the spell cards taking a slot, and you can’t just wait until the end to use all your spells (unless you are very lucky and keep getting just the right bird in a lower number of non-spell slots).

It would be nice if Strikes and Birdies were multiplied by the bird getting the mark so that Strikes and Birdies meant something again, but I assume someone has already brought that up elsewhere on the thread?

Thanks,
    sutekh137

furby69
    @furby69

@sutekh137
    Definitely, like I mentioned before the key to a high score is doing as much destruction as possible while also trying to strike a level. Focusing only on strikes won’t necessarily make your score higher but it’s still good to get as many strikes as you can, more levels = more potential destruction.

Also I like your idea, I don’t think it was suggested before. Even if strikes are not affected by the birds’ multiplier I think it should definitely be increased by a flat amount at least. It would give you more incentive to strike the level, that 25000 bonus as it is right now is as good as nothing.

Anonymous

@furby69 @sutekh137 Strikes and Birdies actually are effected by the last bird thrown. All my birds are either Azure or Emerald and each Birdie gives 50k.

fnurt
    @fnurt

These may be really dumb questions but I am confused about a couple things.

1) Many people have commented that it is harder to gather feathers in the new arena. But to me it seems not just harder, but impossible. The only feathers I ever get are from the daily reward, which is a small number of feathers for a random bird. Am I missing a way to gather feathers?

2) I don’t understand the point of the leagues. The rewards seem to be the same as I move up in league. So is there an incentive to finish in the top 3?

Anonymous

@fnurt

1. Nope. This is the only way to get direct feathers arena wise. :P

2. It goes back and fourth really. Some people like to purposely drop down to lower leagues so its easier to get gems but others think that it just wastes a chance to get gems in this league to do that.

Sutekh137
    @sutekh137

@partshade

Then you are living in a different reality than I am — I just confirmed 6-8 Strikes this morning: they all gave me the normal 25,000. I have never seen Strike or Birdie bonuses be affected by a multiplier.

@fnurt

As far as I am concerned, I am getting more feathers in the Arena now. What was the reward before when you finished fourth or below? 30 feathers? Now you get 10 + your level (so that is currently 39 for me). Yes, it is random, but it was random before, too. I don’t really understand the complaints about feathers, but I’m probably missing something (as usual).

Thanks,
    sutekh137

RizDub
    @rizdub

So here are my thoughts, to date, on all the major changes from the last update. (Lots of text ahead, beware.)

New treasure boxes:
    – These are okay. The biggest problem I have with them are the spell rewards. Both the free reward and the premium reward will give just one spell. Basically, you can either get a spell for free, or you can get a spell for 80 gems.
    My suggestion: Increase the amount or number of spells received in the premium reward, as with the feathers (free reward gives 10 feathers, premium reward gives 100+ feathers). So that the free reward gives 1 spell, and the premium reward gives 5 spells. Or a copy of EVERY spell.

Feathers:
    – I still think feathers are much more difficult to obtain now. Previously the arena was the best way to obtain feathers. Also I was able to choose which arena days I wanted to participate in, based on which birds needed more feathers. Now I just get around 25 feathers per day for a random bird, which is WAY less than previously. The only way to receive feathers now is to pay 80 gems for them in the reward system, which even then is no guarantee as to which bird you’ll get them for (or even if you’ll get feathers at all).
    My suggestion: Combined with next thoughts.

Arena time length:
    – Ultimately I think this might have been beneficial. At some point in the past I decided to take a break from the Arena, as I thought I was getting feathers too quickly (namely because I was playing the arena every day, while I was not playing the map levels every day). It’s still not quite perfect, though.
    My suggestion: Maybe each day could provide a mini-competition (like the Transformers events), and at the end of each day you get a few gems based on your position. Then at the end of the entire arena week, the final leaderboard dictates how many feathers you receive.

Player versus player arena battles:
    – Overall, I enjoy this new aspect. This feels more competitive. The only problem is that, after the initial room, I can’t tell which of my opponent’s birds and rooms match with my own.
    My suggestion: This has already been suggested in several different ways, but I think that your opponent’s visible score should be based on the ROOMS, not the number of birds flung. You might clear a room with one bird that took your opponent three birds to clear, so matching the birds seems weird to me.

Scoring system:
    – This is the biggest problem for me. This has given me the biggest negative reaction in the history of Angry Birds. I’ve organized my thoughts below:

Reading the comment made by @furby69 I think that the scoring system works better in the Arena than it does in single player mode. In single player mode there’s no competition or challenge anymore. Before, I enjoyed beating a level and seeing where I was among my Facebook friends. Now I have no basis for comparison, as one of my friends might have birds a few levels higher than me, and another might have birds a few levels lower than me.

The 3-star thresholds, as confirmed by @bankler, are based on the ASSUMED level of your birds—not your ACTUAL level. This assumption doesn’t take into account the premium treasure chests or Arena rewards that will boost your birds further. This is true for levels you’ve already played and for still-unplayed levels. For me, this completely removes the challenge of 3-starring the levels. I’m on chapter 7. My birds are at level 4, but looking through the data files, the initial levels of that chapter assume a bird level of 2. There will be no challenge 3-starring these, and I like a challenge. Furthermore, I watched @mighty-red-1’s most recent video tutorials. His birds are at level 8, while the levels (according to data files) assume a bird level of 3. Because of this, at the end of each level, the star meter fills before the first star even lights up. Again, no challenge.

My suggestion: I think the idea was a decent one, but it was executed badly. I would heavily suggest either removing the new scoring system in the single-player levels, or changing the star thresholds so that they adjust themselves based on your ACTUAL bird levels. There’s no challenge otherwise, and so I’ve actually decided to completely stop playing the main levels (including farming for gifts) until the scoring system is changed for the better.

Anderthon
    @anderthon

Just jumping in to say thank you to everyone who’s posted in here. The Arena has been pissing me off, and I’ve started refusing to play spells – partly out of a “integrity of the game” feeling (I shouldn’t have to pay to win), and also – let’s be real – just being cheap. So – like many of you – I’m just going to stop playing entirely (bye bye Emerald League). My sanity is more valuable.

furby69
    @furby69

@sutekh137
    “What was the reward before when you finished fourth or below? 30 feathers?”
    The amount you got depended on your league, iirc Emerald League gave you 60 or 80 feathers for placing below top 4 so yes the distribution was a lot better as the higher your league, the more feathers you needed to advance to the next one. With the current daily bonus it would take ages to upgrade your birds.

kedik22
    @kedik22

@clovos @bankler

Hi.
    Here are two suggestions not for the arena, but the game itself.

1) When changing rooms in a level, the score (and its increase) and destructometer disappears. Before this last update you could watch and keep track of it. Can you bring it back, please?
    2)When entering a level or a new room, you always have to zoom in again. In other AB games, the game itself remembered your zoom status. It makes it faster to play the game, specially when you are farming. Can you please do that?

That is all for now and thank you for listening.

Kind regards.

Rovio_Bankler
    @bankler

@rizdub and @kedik22
    Thanks for your feedback! I’ll make sure to forward your opinions.

kedik22
    @kedik22

@bankler

Great, thanks.

Kind regards.

Brandon Davis
    @brandon-davis

So I made it to Diamond League. Collected the gems I got for being in third place in Amethyst then did not play at all. Did not even start one. Now a few days later I see that I am in the bottom 3 and will go down a league. What? Do I HAVE to play each week or I’ll go down a league? What is this?

Sutekh137
    @sutekh137

@brandon-davis

Brandon, you just need to stay out of the bottom three, which probably wouldn’t be that hard. Top Three move up, Bottom Three go down.

If you are planning on taking breaks, why not go into a lower league, though? Doesn’t matter, rewards are the same (and the competition is likely easier…)

Thanks,
    sutekh137

Maiasatara
    @maiasatara

The bullsh*t continues. If I don’t play for a week I shouldn’t be punished by being automatically demoted. I’m so over the Arena already. I had a writing deadline that overlapped end of last week and the beginning of this week. My gems are gone, I barely evaded bottom three so I didn’t earn any.

I’ll be coming back with screen shots but I have results that prove it’s rigged to be monetarily unfair to a player in both possible directions. Every time I am matched with a player using five spells I win every time, by at least 1.5-2.0x the opponent’s score. That means:

If I can so that, and the spells are supposed to HELP a player, then I should easily be winning every game I play against players who have fewer than 5 spells. Basically, I should be winning EVERY GAME. But I’m losing 4 out of five.

If a player is spending around 200 gems on one game (I didn’t do the easy math but I know the sardine can is 100) then they should pretty much be guaranteed a win going up against a person with equal bird strength.

Those facts prove that it’s all crap. It has been programmed to make you lose so much, and in such a way, that you will be driven to spend money out of sheer frustration. It’s the King model that drove me to delete all their games two years ago.

The only fair way to run this is to put actual players head to head at the exact same time, live. The following parameters and choices:

– Same League.
    – Same bird strength.
    – Spells v. No Spells – a choice.
    – Live v. Computer – a choice. if no one meeting your level is playing at the moment, you can choose to play a computer opponent (the current cheating Rovio algorithm I suspect.)

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum New Arena: problems and suggestions for fixing

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.