Conspiracy theories and more…

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Conspiracy theories and more…

• Hello All,

I want to address some of the theories I’ve seen posited here, and to debunk them from the perspective of an experienced developer / user.  Background:  I worked in game security for the world’s largest online poker site for 10 years as a key “anti-cheating”, game integrity principle.

1) CLAIM: The Tower isn’t random.

I’ve charted my experience extensively — many times up the whole 90 levels.  It’s indeed random, every draw.  Think about this for a moment.  If it were *not* random, it wouldn’t take long for someone to document statistically that it was not… and such a revelation would be the END of the Rovio gravy train — not just here, but in every Rovio game.  It isn’t worth the risk to them.  Instead, they have priced the random failures and pig hits to entice players to consider “sunk costs”, encouraging them to go deeper for additional (likely paid) gems.

Rovio would absolutely NOT risk this gravy train to squeeze a few extra gems out of people by rigging the game, which could be EASILY documented over a few hundred recorded instance via screen capture.

2) Chest awards are pre-determined to maximize profits / gem purchases.

The same logic above applies.  If it wasn’t random, we’d have proof by now.

3) Opponent mismatches in the Arena.  This includes bot theories, and far others.

Guess what — the same principle applies.  While we don’t know *exactly* who we’re playing against, or what rooms they played, it would be trivial to keep a log of arena matches and prove a bias towards gem expenditures.  No such log yet exists…. and my own experience in programming suggests as good an experience as can be expected in a non-real-time matchup process.

Those who want to see “what their opponents did” (visually), or to play real time, have zero concept of programming, or of the data / bandwidth requirements to make that happen.  As it is, the game already includes exploits used by many, because Rovio didn’t want to incur the bandwidth costs of updating feather or pearl counts on each such transaction, trusting local storage to be “99% effective”.

There’s always a tradeoff between “cheater-proofing” a game, and the cost or effect on legit customers.  Even World Of Warcraft encountered this with it’s “warden” software… and I wrote some seriously complex anti-cheating software myself as regards online poker… but I was given resources to do so because it was a multi-billion dollar industry.

News flash:  AB2 doesn’t merit such investment, and we reading this are the extreme minority.  99.9% of players don’t know about the exploits available.  (90% of those reading *this* aren’t aware).  Rovio isn’t going to dedicate resources to the vocal minority here…. who are, by their own admission, not “revenue” customers.   (They get $10/mo from me for the letter for cheap gems — no more).

So, stop griping about the exploits, or about how Rovio codes to extract gems.  I would expect no less.  They are in business to make a profit, and SOMEONE has to pay Hank’s wages…. and that’s NOT you or me.   There will be bugs, and it will be unfair for those surfing the edge.  Get used to it… or drop back to playing “fair” the way 99.9% of players already do.

If you have “all hat sets” or “maximized bird cards” (especially within hours of a push), then you have no basis to complain about exploits or bugs.  You’re part of the “problem”, at least in Rovio’s eyes.  Get over it, and accept that they let you abuse their system because it is cheaper than the cost of policing against YOU in favor of those that pay their bills.

Jester

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Replies
  • Kt
    @ktcain

Enjoyed your post, Jester, as always.

Mzimoxs
    @mzimoxs

2) Chest awards are pre-determined to maximize profits / gem purchases.

Sorry, but I can definitely tell that this is true:

Remember, prior to the recent update you got awarded all black pearls from the daily challenge at once. If you maxed out your birds, you get two chests instead of one.

One day I found 20 pearls in the first chest. So normally, my pearl count should have gone up by 50 (20 chest + 30 from rewards). But it went up by 70. Guess what I found in chest two. Yes, 20 pearls. But I opened that after I already got the 70 pearls. The only explanation is that the chest outcome is predetermined.

The odds are not so bad here, so you don’t here much complaining.

RizDub
    @rizdub

There is actually another rumor that I can confirm, having looked through the data files:

Levels suddenly get easier if you fail them enough times.

Every level file has an expression called “Number Of Fails Before Getting Extra TNT.” Assuming the expression names are accurate, after failing the level enough times (I’m not sure how the fails are counted, though), you will not only get extra TNT, but also different, easier-to-deal-with pigs (e.g. Helmet Pigs, Jetpack Pigs, and Golden Pigs), fewer floating towers, and another expression called “constant extra card limit.” I’m not sure what this is, I’m thinking it has something to do with the rate the Destructometer fills.

But yes, failing the level enough times will make it easier.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

I agree with most of what you say, Jester, but not all of it. There is probability programmed into the system. Some floors of the tower are going to turn up a pig no matter what card is selected.

Other than that, gambling always favors the house. AB2 is rigged to favor the house by a whole lot. Most of it due to the costs, especially with the tower. Early on a person might have collected more gems than spent to advance, but by the time a person gets the 400 gem pig they will usually be far behind. By the time the 3,200 gem pig is reached, there is no chance of recovery.

cognitive
    @cognitive

The tower is random. But there’s random and there’s random. Pig one in four is random. What’s in the tower levels right before hats only… not.

Extra points assignment. Why is it that I seem to hit the top prize in a chest at half the expected probability? Should be 1 in 5, my tally is about 1 in 10.

ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

Hmm you’re right about the cards. I heard of a few people getting feats before picking the cards. I did experiment where I would take a screenshot after opening the chest but not choosing the card then closing out of the game. I come back and without choosing a card one of my birds would have more feathers or I would have more pearls.

Either they choose for me, or as the feat rewards indicate, it is already pre-selected. It may still be random upon opening the chest and the cards are just a visual game, though hard to say without diving into the code.

It does make you suspect the ToF however, they can make it appear semi-random, but have something that requires X amount of pigs, every time you start it up have 1-90 pre-loaded where they will be. It isn’t like a gambling website where they have to have rules on their randomness or code inspected to insure “fairness”, it is quite possible they have programmed it to be semi-random, with certain levels having a higher probability of pigs. I mean I guess could get an infinite amount of gems and do an a million runs to get an actual data set, see how many pigs show up on the way to 90, probably varies a bit but wonder if there’s a minimum. Oh well just have to keep in mind that it’s like gambling, though now I want to get to 90 for the feat lol.

Pomme
    @pomme

Say what you will. I play on two iPads. If I get the pig on my second card while playing the tower, I will also get it on the second card on the other iPad. I guess it is possible that it just happens that way. But it happens.

ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

@hank, care to comment on the randomness of the treasures? How we can get rewarded the feat before selecting the card?

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@ryan-kochie wrote:   @hank, care to comment on the randomness of the treasures? How we can get rewarded the feat before selecting the card?

Having worked in gaming, I predict Hank will not answer, not because there’s a conspiracy, but because it’s a ludicrous theory.  So, I’ll say what Hank likely wants to (my guess), but cannot:

It never happened.  You think you saw it, due to pre-selection bias (you already believe it is rigged, so you see what you’ve already trained your mind to accept), but you did not.  If you think it happens…. show me a video capture of it happening.

There is NO reason for Rovio to game the odds, because getting caught for it NOT being random (which is EASILY proven by anyone tracking outcomes over time) would kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

They are MORE than happy to charge $1 per 100 gems (or less, with bulk discounts), and recoup them (and those they give away as grease to get the rubes to buy more) by offering places to spend them in game…. in completely random fashion.

Someone above said they don’t get the “top prize” often enough, but I also don’t see that.  I get it about what I should (mainly because I don’t have selection bias and don’t gripe when I see 1000 gems and didn’t get it this time).  The *really* big prizes don’t come up every selection, and when they do, you’re only one in five to get them.  So, if you see a 500 gem card go by that you didn’t get… you weren’t supposed to.  Not because it’s rigged, but because one in 5 means 4 times in five you get the booby prize.  That’s how naturally short odds work.

I have the same opinion of those who claim the “mystery point brigade” is rigged to make them spend gems in the arena.  (This theory is that they can be winning an arena match only to have an opponent race from behind with several million points, to overtake them very quickly).  This is also bogus, as I’ll address in the “About the Arena” thread.

Ditto the “game physics change day to day”, i.e. one day Terence is invincible, the next day, can’t hit a thing.  The game physics are constant — it would be foolhardy (and fairly easily reverse-engineered — decompilers are *everywhere* now), and would provide a horrible gaming experience.  (Instead, players play differently from day to day or session to session — sometimes more alert, sometimes less, etc).

It continues to boggle my mind how many people actually believe that Trump colluded with the Pigs to rig the game.

Oh, did I mix my metaphors?  Sorry.  Eggs on my face.

Jester

cognitive
    @cognitive

Jester, I’m afraid we will disagree here. I have 32 years experience as a software developer, anything from mainframes to Android. I’m not saying everything is done intentionally, but one gotta wonder:

The mystery points brigade is simply shorthand for badly designed points awarding based on percentage of destruction. I can understand 3-4M from a single bird, I do it too. But to string several of these in a row, always towards the end of the game, and always when you start with 1M per bird is a bit difficult to understand.

Tower probabilities? My first job was a statistical analysis programmer, and I’m married to a statistician. My current job involves lots of data analysis. Tower odds are simply not 25% per card. Not at 4th, 9th, 14th, etc levels at least, and getting worse as you go up.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Is it wrong to say that points are easy to get early in the game for you but then as the game progresses points are harder to come by? The destructometer is simply not linear.</p>
     Game physics changing? Of course they do. How else can you reach a faraway pig with a given bird one day but not the same distance and same bird in a different room?

Big prizes? True, 1 in 5 in theory. Not in practice.

I used to play backgammon. The best consumer grade app cheats like you would not believe. I found out how, posted on Apple store as a review and not only the review was censored, I was almost banned from the review section. To their credit, the way they cheat was light-years better. Easier to do that than fix the software.

Rovio’s simply coming to grips with the inflation caused by infinite spells.

ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

@adbjester I don’t think it is rigged. Personally I feel it is still random, just 2 possibilities and I would like clarification on which is true. I’ve done this numerous times now where I open the free chest, close out without picking a card, open it and see I’ve been awarded something. It’s easily to duplicate, 100% of the time. Not something I feel a video is necessary for.

1. It is random, but the card you get is selected when you open the chest, not when you pick a card. Picking the card is just there to give an impression of choice, when there is none. Personally I would be a bit miffed if this were true, I try to streamline my time, and the wasted time selecting and with the animations are annoying. Personally I would love an option to turn off animations, really speed things up.

2. It is random, but a default is assigned when you open the chest (0-4). So you are assigned 0, which is attached to a card, so when you quit the game you receive the reward for whichever card was assigned 0. Picking a different card would change your number and you would receive a different reward. Thus choice does exist, along with randomness.

I believe #2 is more likely, they assigned a default so people who game crashed on them don’t lose their treasure rewards, but still giving us choice. I know before you would just get a reward when opening it? So it seems possible they kept that, but then added a choice to change the default reward? So your choice still matters.

However hearing from others with 2 rare chests for DC/KPP and getting gems in both and seeing the animation tally them up makes me lean towards #1. However it could just be they happened selected the default assigned card? That is a lot harder to reproduce.

When things aren’t as they appear it does make you suspect everything, question everything. If it’s number either though it’s still random, just the question of choice.

I do agree he probably won’t say whether or not choice exists, though he will probably confirm they are random.

cognitive
    @cognitive

A loaded dice is sort of random, but not truly random. Is anyone thinking that tower level 4, 9, 14… still have one in four chance of hitting a pig?

And, to introduce another vernacular term… Points throttling. Look at your destructometer right after you finish the arena. What percentage of time is it almost full but not full enough to gain a free bird?

Why in the DC you can kill the king pig in one shot once in a while (direct hits) and other times a half dozen direct hits won’t suffice? Guess which happens more often?

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@cognitive wrote:

Jester, I’m afraid we will disagree here. I have 32 years experience as a software developer, anything from mainframes to Android.

Then we’re speaking as peers, though with an experience gap.  I’ve been developing software since 1977.  32 or 40 years, makes little difference.  :)

The mystery points brigade is simply shorthand for badly designed points awarding based on percentage of destruction. I can understand 3-4M from a single bird, I do it too. But to string several of these in a row, always towards the end of the game, and always when you start with 1M per bird is a bit difficult to understand.

I still think this is selection bias.  I have *never* experienced this, with one exception:  Those very rare cases where I run out of birds before the opponent does. In this case, he races through his remaining birds, and can easily rack up lots of points.  I doubt you’re mistaking this for your MPB, though — it’s pretty obvious when that happens that it is multiple birds.

Tower probabilities? My first job was a statistical analysis programmer, and I’m married to a statistician. My current job involves lots of data analysis. Tower odds are simply not 25% per card. Not at 4th, 9th, 14th, etc levels at least, and getting worse as you go up.

Cool.  I worked for 12 years at PokerStars.com in statistical analysis, catching cheaters and bots through heuristics, designing much of the software used to do so. I also spent time answering hundreds of customer Emails about suspected non-randomness, and always (without exception) was able to provide a statistical retort based in fact, demonstrating complete randomness.

Care to make a “gentleman’s bet”?  I don’t know if you have access to enough gems to do it, but I do.  Climb the tower to the top a statistically significant number of times, and record the specific levels you get pigs.  Ensure that you, the user, selects randomly in one of two ways (or preferably both, comparing the two):  Always choose the same card, or rotate in order (4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1, etc).

I would wager you’ll find the distribution of pigs on every floor where pigs are possible to be within 1.5 sigmas.

Since the tower can only be climbed once daily, it will take some time to build up a reliable data set, but I’m confident it will quickly converge to the norm.

Is it wrong to say that points are easy to get early in the game for you but then as the game progresses points are harder to come by? The destructometer is simply not linear.

Who told you it was supposed to be?  Of *course* it isn’t linear.  Both the meter itself, and the points values at which extra birds are awarded, appear to be logarithmic.  Points are no more difficult to come by on later levels of an arena match than on earlier ones.  Filling the bar to get that next bird, though?  Yes, and clearly (and wisely) by design.

I just started a match, and I’m going to note the approximate values.

Before first free bird:  0 points, 0 meter, full 9 card backlog

Throw 1, Bomb.  Cleared level.  Free bird at 4.6 million, total score 5.7 million, bar 2/3 full.

Throw 2, Silver, cleared TINY level.  Free bird at 8 million, total score 10.4 million, bar 15% full.  Still full deck.

Throw 3, Red.  Left one bird, free bird at 14.6 million, total score now 15.2 million, meter nearly empty.  Still full deck.

Throw 4, Matilda, egged the last bird.  15.6 million.  Meter didn’t move.  8 cards, opponent has 9.9 million and 3 behind.

Throw 5, Terence.  Strike.  20.7 million.  Meter at maybe 40%.  Opponent at 12 million.  I have a 5 card edge on them as well.   (See what I mean by “I rarely lose?”  This is typical.)

Throw 6, tough choice.  *NO* chance of a strike, unless I use the Eagle (others are blizzard and popper)…. but it’s a room propped up by balloon wedges, so Eagle won’t score highly.  I’ll go with Eagle, as I always believe a Strike beats using two pigs.  21.6 million.  Meter barely moved.  6 behind, and opponent up to 16.2 million.  YES, that 4 million point gain is reasonable.  I scored nothing.  THEY finally threw a bird like I’ve been throwing the whole game.

Throw 7, Popper.  Not as effective as I’d have hoped.  22.8 million, bar now at 55%.  Opponent picked up 4 million as well.  Level NOT cleared.

Throw 8, second on room, bomb.  Still didn’t clear.  25 million, opponent has 22 million.  Bar at 85%.   Note that my opponent was probably filling his bar more quickly than I the last couple throws, simply because he was lower score, and the next free bird was “cheaper” for him.

Throw 9, third in room, Chuck.  Cleared room.  Bar at 95%.  26.3 million.  Opponent 24.1 million.  He has 2 birds left, I have 6.

Throw 10, Blizzard.  Inched me up to 26.9 million for a free bird.  27.1 total.  Did not clear, did not intend to.

Throw 11, Chuck.  Horrible throw.  30.6 million to his 27 million, but not only didn’t clear, but left two birds far from each other.

Throw 12, Chuck, headpopped one.  31.0 million, opponent is done at 27 million.  I have four birds left.  Meter near 20%.

Throw 13, Chile.  This is what he’s good for.  Cleared the last bird, and some structure.  31.9%, meter MAYBE 25%.

Throw 14, Ducks.  A throwaway bird at this point.  33.2 million.  Yes, my scoring is slowing down… because I use my powerful birds up front, unless a spell or specialty bird is called for.  Now I have Blues and Silver left, and no ice in the structure.  Bar at 33%.  No choice but to use Silver and hope for the clear, but it doesn’t look good.

Throw 15, Silver.   35.5 million.  Bar at 50%.  This is NORMAL.  My last free bird was at 26 million, and I shouldn’t expect another one until about 40 million.  The number of points between free birds is non-linear.  Left one straggling bird that Blues *might* clear, but I won’t get a free bird.  Game over.

Throw 16, Blues.  35.9 million, got the last pig.  Winning streak 4, 8 stars.

Now, this is pretty typical for one of my matches.  In fact, I didn’t win by as much as I usually do.  8 stinks.  I have 106 stars in the arena, and have played 11 matches.  (You do the math).

Game physics changing? Of course they do. How else can you reach a faraway pig with a given bird one day but not the same distance and same bird in a different room?

Different room, different distance.  Some rooms you can throw Blues all the way to the end.  Others are very long rooms where you can barely get Chuck there with a boost.  All rooms are not to the same “scale”.  Watch the pig sizes at the various zoom levels.

Big prizes? True, 1 in 5 in theory. Not in practice.

Statistical analysis, please, or its just a theory subject to selection bias.

I used to play backgammon. The best consumer grade app cheats like you would not believe. I found out how, posted on Apple store as a review and not only the review was censored, I was almost banned from the review section. To their credit, the way they cheat was light-years better. Easier to do that than fix the software.

Backgammon is a “solved game” — there is always a “perfect move”, which is why such software is banned.   Poker is not solved because of the amount of hidden information.  And Angry birds isn’t you vs. someone else, where there’s incentive to cheat.  It’s you vs. a recording of someone else, in an unknown room (though I believe it’s likely the same series of rooms), with unknown spells, with those spells being treated in an unknown manner.

Think about that.  I just documented a run where I had 5 spells to start.  How often are you matched against someone like that?  Now, is my run ever included in the pool for you to play against?  If it is, how are my spells “removed”?  I use spells to judiciously pick off troubling birds, but almost always reserve “real birds” for the first throw in a room.   If my run is used, and my spell throws (and their points) are just removed, then my run may be at a natural advantage to one that had no spells, because my birds that “count” are more frequently thrown at pristine rooms with high scoring potential, while those of others might be spent or wasted on the stragglers that my spells take care of.

We just don’t know.

What I do know is, it isn’t some conspiracy by Rovio to clear the inventory of infinite spells (which can still be had).   If they had that intention, they’d just wipe out the spell inventory of anyone who didn’t buy them, or the gems — it wouldn’t be hard to calculate which spells in inventory are legitimate if their database is in ANY way accurate and complete.

It is also not a conspiracy by Rovio to intentionally favor one player over another, not to offer odds other than that which would be dictated by a truly random source of entropy to extract gems from players more quickly.

Decisions we’re not privy to in the scoring system, or the playback system, or the matchup system, might not be what you’d personally prefer, but I’ve watched this game evolve since 2015, and every change has been seemingly thought out, and tested in focus groups before being given to us all.

Rovio’s simply coming to grips with the inflation caused by infinite spells.

Can’t argue with you there, at least on the premise.  I think the 25K hats were a poor decision (and one I bet they wish they could undo), and I think storing gem and pearl counts on the local device instead of on the server is probably the worst decision they ever made.  If anything ruined the game, that did, as that one fact is what makes most exploits exploitable.

In the end, though, you may not like the changes, but I think overall they have made the game better…. and had the game started where it is now, and without any gem or pearl exploits, nobody would be complaining.

Jester

jo-ha
    @jo-ha

Very nice work, this post, thank you @adbjester.

I aggree on the last passage. I think this is very true and key to current game development. Looking at all the games I bought and played over the last couple of years, nearly NO game was actually “done”, when it came out. Those games always get tested in the field with real players and the developers improve on those games. Sometimes I really wish they wouldn’t because some games just suck short after the release. But there is a simple solution to this: wait some time, then buy it.

I startet “late” with AB2 – I downloaded it on release but actually didn’t really play it until last fall – wow, I was amazed what was possible. Looking back on that, what we have today is even better.

ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

“and always (without exception) was able to provide a statistical retort based in fact, demonstrating complete randomness.”

Would love to see them do this for the ToF, prove it’s random. Agree on gems and pearls counts stored locally (and feather counts?), besides just how easy it is to exploit, it also makes backing up player data harder when their device breaks down, causing those saving up to 25k to be frustrated if they lose their pearls.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

Jester, really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this. You, Jon and jo-ha have gone above and beyond in dissecting, explaining the game and helping others here. Y’all are providing the User Manual that we used to joke about here.

Finding the fact that gems and pearls are stored locally, while everything else is stored on the Rovio servers, was completely accidental. Maybe I shouldn’t have made it public, but I did eventually. Maybe I should have done it much earlier.

That being said, some of it is random, some of it is not so much. Many of the conspiracy theories are nonsense, but not all of them. Some are right on target.

Been there and done that,
    Sternn

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@ryan-kochie wrote:

Would love to see them do this for the ToF, prove it’s random. Agree on gems and pearls counts stored locally (and feather counts?), besides just how easy it is to exploit, it also makes backing up player data harder when their device breaks down, causing those saving up to 25k to be frustrated if they lose their pearls.

No, the fact that gems and pearls are local and feather counts are server-side is what makes it exploitable.  You can spend gems to acquire feathers (in the tower, or with Legendary chests).  You can buy hats with pearls.  Then so long as you backed up right before the spending spree, and so long as the game has contacted the server once to update the server-side hats and feather counts (just visit the trail and back to the home screen), you can restore.  You will restore your gems and pearls, but your upgraded hats, slingshots, and feathers will NOT revert to the backup state — they are server side.

It should have been obvious to Rovio that anything stored local side would be far more easily hackable…. but I also understand their need to keep server communication and database writes to a minimum.  It makes the servers far more manageable for them to depend on client-side storage for some things… and now its too late to change it without a great deal of effort.  (Could still be done, though).

Jester

cognitive
    @cognitive

I’m not disagreeing with Jester all that much – at the end of the day, tho, I’m a user experience engineer and such user experience is not conducive to gaining the trust of your participants.

I don’t have enough gems to climb the tower, unfortunately. I rarely go above 2 pigs’ worth. But, at lower levels, hitting 6 feathers then pig near  daily, easily 50% of the time for me, isn’t inspiring a lot of confidence in their randomness.

Likewise, failing to pick the top prize out of 5. Maybe I’m generalizing from my own experience. But, if the top pick is 200 pearls or 1000 gems out of 5 cards, you have 1 in 5 to pick it. From my own tally it’s more like 1 in 10 using 2 weeks worth of data, probably 30 chests total. 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 instead of 1 in 5, yea, won’t notice it, but 1 in 5 vs 1 in 10? Likewise, pigs at 4, 14, 19…

Never underestimate human creativity. The backgammon program I referred to does not “look ahead” per se. It guesses the random number generator seed instead. But that takes about 10-20 games using the same seed. Once it guesses the seed it will obliterate the human. But until that happens… The human easily wins if they’re good. Also the game can play with manually entered dice, and after 100 such games I won almost twice as many games as I usually do. Many others reported the same. But it took some serious Python programming to analyze thousands of games I played.

The mystery points brigade issue is rather simple. Destroy – completely – a trivial structure with 5-6 components, instant 3.5-3.8M points at my level with 1 bird. Partially destroy 3 substantial structures with 3 birds, about 1M per bird, same points total. But if I’m assuming me and my opponent are playing the same room and the contents of the room are the same for both, how can you explain the 3-4M per room with one bird multiple times in a row? I just don’t see how.

AB2 has enough bugs as it is, but a lot of things don’t seem to add up as far as user experience goes. Not necessarily intentional, but not well executed either.

ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

Thanks Jester. I understood the card level count was server-side but I thought the actual feather count was locally stored. Like if you were level 20 and had 100 feathers until the next level if you had to re-install the game on another device you would have to start all over to reach level 20 from 19.

I agree anything local stored is easily abused, I was more saying it’s also hard for legit players. Like if I drop my phone in the bath, no back-up, I have to reinstall and sync, I would lose my gem and pearl count. Think we are pretty much in agreement but I love your explanations.

Yue
    @yue-zhang

data (all, including spells, feather, card level, slingshot, hats, etc) is stored locally and remotely.

If you sync data with facebook account, it will be stored in somewhere of facebook account. However, it’s not real-time sync. That’s my observation.

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@cognitive wrote:

I don’t have enough gems to climb the tower, unfortunately. I rarely go above 2 pigs’ worth. But, at lower levels, hitting 6 feathers then pig near  daily, easily 50% of the time for me, isn’t inspiring a lot of confidence in their randomness.

I do, though only once.  :)  I’ve saved them up over months of buying the letter, and have about 52,000 now — enough to climb to the top *most* times.  (I can hit 22 pigs and make it.  Expectation is 18 pigs.)

You’re a stats guy, cognitive, so here’s an interesting insight.  Just because I was so firm in my belief, I figured I could be susceptible to selection bias as well, so I started tracking.  I’ve been up the tower four times today.  (I sat on pig 90 and restored, so it never recorded the fact that I got there, and never awarded me anything).

I randomized the chosen card by just going 4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1 ad infinitum.  I’ve chosen each card the same number of times.

One was a miserable run that ended on floor 78.  The others made it to the top.  Thus, I turned over 71*4 – 9 pig-possible cards, or 275 cards.  I should have hit 69 pigs, on average.  I hit 77.  Above expectation, but a very small sample size, so it doesn’t worry me.

What does concern me is the floors just before jackpot floors, those ending in 4 and 9.  I tracked those separately.   There are 18 such floors per run, so 72 floors, less the three I couldn’t reach on the bad run.

I could have expected to hit just over 17 pigs on these floors, combined.  Any guesses as to the actual number?  Bueller?  Anyone?

THIRTY THREE.   47.8% of them were pigs.

Again, this is a small sample size, so this could just be noise, but it’s a MUCH bigger outlier.  Had this data been within reason, I might have abandoned the tracking, but that makes me want to gather up a couple hundred climbs… which will take time.

I’ll keep everyone here posted.

Jester

ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

Awesome Jester! Would love to see a real huge dataset. Would love to see it sorted by the 80’s as well, and 29, 59, compared to the other ones before hat levels. I have tried tracking myself for several weeks, I usually don’t make it past the first 5 so my data is pretty useless, and if I get a pig in the first few cards I tend to not bother writing it down. I do notice floor 2 and 4 seems more pig heavy, while floor 3 is safer? I do wonder if there is a pattern to how it is random, and if they tweak it for certain floors, but even so usually with such programs there is no true random, only pseudo random so some kind of pattern can be devised.

I am also trying to keep track of where I click and where the pig showed up to see if that affects the outcome at all. Really it just feels random to me, but there may be slight alterations.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

We are not all playing the same game. I have a borrowed Samsung S4, started the game from the beginning. It is very different. The DC is different, the KPC is different, fewer rooms. The arena is beatable with less than a million points. Granted, it is sluggish and I am not going to keep it, but the game is very different.

Mechanics are the same, but the levels, challenges, rewards and amount of rooms are very different. This shows me that there is a difference in leveling up. Not so much an advantage, but the game gets more difficult.

Though there is some fun in destroying opponents in the arena due to experience, even without the higher cards and spells.

Not all conspiracy theories are wrong.

cognitive
    @cognitive

The pigs at x4 and x9 floors are a given to have higher chance than regular pigs. Within a couple weeks of the ToF I seem to recall people mentioning 40%. You saw nearly 48% or twice the expected.

I’m beginning to notice as well that floor 2 is pig-heavy. I mean, nothing like 2 feathers then pig, and the player plays on, 20 gems lighter,then some useless feathers, then pig in level 4 again. Are you going to spend 70 gems for 10 pearls? Think EMV, people. Expected Mean Value. What is 10 pearls worth?

It is 2017, and random numbers aren’t that difficult to get right. 1 in 4 is within the reach of any RNG, and 47% vs 25% is not because of an issue with the RNG.

Here’s a simpler and less scientific non-randomness. Why is it that before this upgrade, the chili pepper (ironically, the mascot of one of my alma maters) was likely to choose the TOPMOST pig in a room, yielding minimal damage. This was the case for many months. Now it seems a lot more random and useful.

How about Terrence? two years ago he could really do some damage, right now… Same with the Mighty Eagle.

C’est La Vie as they say in Canada :)

DJLarryt
    @djlarryt

@cognitive agreed.

Today I decided to play the ToF to level 20 so I could claim a feat reward.

USUALLY, and this goes on a daily basis, I open the first floor and quit so I can just get the 8 gems and be done with it.  Because I don’t believe this ToF is accurately random regardless of ‘stats’ collected.  We are all getting different versions of the games some people get better odds than others, etc etc

I played to level 15.  I got a pig on EVERY SINGLE LEVEL except the first one and quit after 15.  Over 1000 gems spent for nothing.  At level 10 I chose to keep playing just to see if was a coincidence or not.

That’s just a little bit more than bad luck, that’s more like fishing for a sucker.  As soon as the game measures that I went on past Level 2, out went the net- because in the machine learning history file, I only EVER play the first screen and get out.  So as soon as the cross-check occurred, the red light went on, and the process started.

Making money off people’s addictions is a very lucrative business, people.

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Conspiracy theories and more…

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.