Arena Season 5

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Arena Season 5

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 290 total)
  • Replies
  • Jamairoqui
    @jamairoqui

This week in my league there have been a couple of players whose scores have shot up by 30,000 or more in a very short amount of time. On day two, one player’s score went up 72,000 in a few minutes (after being at zero). Are these scores being generated by people who have been playing in “airplane” mode so their score doesn’t update, but they are racking up points playing easier teams of birds?

For example, one guy had around 33,000 points about 4 hrs into the new week. That represents spinning a 260 (max score for Diamond League) approximately every 2 minutes. That seems right at the hairy edge of possible, even for the easy teams that are auto-generated with no internet, since there is no way you can get 260 every spin of the wheel.

I’m just curious if others have seen this sort of thing and have a better explanation for large jumps in scores than “some guy sitting there with wi-fi disable endlessly cycling through auto-generated teams.”

Angry Johnny
    @angryjohnny

@jamairoqui You can always report them to Rovio, they can see if the scores are legitimate and if they are not remove the scores from the players. However as you stated; it is not impossible scores to get if you are just playing really hard.

KillerKea
    @killerkea

@pointless Since I have not increased my power rating to a high level less than half my opponents use the valiant set. Of course I fight a lot of opponents that have better items than me, but once you have the valiant set it isn’t too hard to beat people with highly enchanted sets and unlike you I have the option of avoiding opponents with the valiant set if I want to. Also when the level cap is raised from 50 it won’t hurt as much since I didn’t waste a huge amount of shards enchanting items to high levels.

In PvE, a lot of us were able to 3 star everything with rank 10 mastery birds, rank 0 items and not borrow birds from friends. If you can’t 3 star everything without highly enchanted items, then you need to change your strategy.

Of course not every set is useful. For example the Pickpocket set isn’t useful if you don’t need snoutlings and even if you do I think farming SRC is a very easy way to get them. I switch between sets for every bird because different sets are better for different situations.

You bring 9 items into every arena battle so enchanting only a few items won’t be as effective as enchanting most if not all the items you use. 18 items with a 10% improvement is clearly better than 1 item with a 50% improvement. You obviously can’t use those 18 items simultaneously, but you can use 7-9 of them which will add up to a greater benefit for your team. As I mentioned earlier keeping your power rating low will let you fight a lot of teams that don’t have the valiant set.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

That’s why you fit your Banner with Thorns / Vengeance – if they self-KO, it’s on their turn!

Pointless
    @pointless

@killerkea so your strategy to beat the Valiant is to use the Valiant while avoiding the Valiant? I think even at your lower rating you will find more and more people acquiring the set as it is just that dominant. You are facing people that don’t cheat/use RW$ to get these sets and upgrade them immediately, but it will change as more and more free roll the set, so facing teams with higher power rating using Valiant will become more and more prominent and make things significantly harder. I do not ever pass on battles (unless I am trying to complete an objective that is Mana unfriendly) simply because there is no need. I have lost a total of three battles since I got the Valiant, and this is against opposition often 1600+.
    As to an imminent level increase, there really seems to be a division of opinion concerning the possibility. As it stands, with no new PvE content even hinted at (not including events) and only one new cave level teased by the star count, there may not be one. I know if there is without any content addition, this will infuriate many people who might quit so not sure this is in Rovio’s best interest. That being said, Rovio is ultimately a business, and a percentage of people will pay RW$/cheat to reacquire and re-enchant sets (I really wish I knew, but have to think most of these are manipulating the programme, so once again, not necessarily a benefit to Rovio).
    I have and did 3-star everything a long time ago, at M10 like you. I do use FB, but initially only for the LC bonus. The last few caves were much harder without borrowing birds, so I succumbed, but kudos to you for completing these levels using only Pigiana/Porky/McCool. My point was that replaying these levels is much easier and I am regularly shattering the high score with no real effort due, in large part, to Enchantments (granted also now M12). I will also put forth that I will have an easier time in the Super Villain Event than you, although I am unconvinced it will be that difficult anyways.
    Now the crux of the matter, and excuse the long-winded post, but really all this new Shard and Arena Set additions have done is made strategy obsolete. I have long subscribed to the adage that the best defense is a good offense in Epic, and this has served me well in most facets of the game. It is now even more evident as my upgraded Power Team dominates PvP with Valiant and PvE with very, very few exceptions. This being said, why spread Enchantment over 18 or so sets, when they are simply not needed? You are better to concentrate on the 6 used for your go to team, plus the 3 for Arena.

Jamairoqui
    @jamairoqui

@angryjohnny I’m not particularly concerned that they are cheating (if they are), once you’re in Diamond it’s kind of irrelevant where you place as long as it’s in the top 12 (winning Diamond League is like the ending of the South Park episode where Kenny and Stan get 1,000,000 points on the video game). I was seeing if anyone knew *how* they were cheating, and if anyone thought my explanation made sense.

If you play match after match with no internet, then your score wouldn’t update. But then when you turned the internet back on your score would jump. It’s just that 8,000-10,000 points per hour seems like a lot to me, even fighting easy opponents. So I was wondering if anyone else knew of other exploits people might be using.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

If you would be enchanting sub-par items, it’s a waste of crystals. Better to bring 6x lv. 50 items at 25% than 18x sub-par items at +10%.

Pointless
    @pointless

So a 5 Shard reward has been added to the weekly wheel (in Diamond, not sure about lower levels obviously). Not as much as I’d hoped, but more than I’d expected, especially considering the stinginess of the calendar Shard rewards.

Anonymous

5 shards are on the platinum wheel too. Finally, a use for my friendship essence besides 6000 mastery events!

Anonymous

Anyone else like using Thunderbird’s Rage of Thunder defensive spell against enemy Chucks? I just started doing it with Witch/Rogues, and it’s been working wonders.

ETA: Would probably be fun with Skulkers/Druid too.
    ETA2: tbird/druid/skulkers doesn’t really work. Fun for a turn or two, but too vulnerable. Avenger/tbird/skulkers maybe better. Or princess/tbird/skulkers. Having both tbird’s and skulker’s debuff applied to all enemy birds, and having tbird’s rage of thunder applied to all your own birds really wreaks havoc.

Pointless
    @pointless

@poptimus I have used that tactic before with TBird, especially in combination with Cleric’s Healing Shield when having that objective. Greatly nullifies Chuck’s rage as you stated, especially when getting healed at the same time!
    Of course this used to be somewhat dependent on winning the toss, as battles when you lost it became a little dicey. Now with Valiant this doesn’t really matter anymore…

Anonymous

@pointless
    Haha, yup valiant is really nullifying a lot of things these days!

Pointless
    @pointless

C’mon @poptimus let’s not exaggerate, Valiant has just affected small, inconsequential things, like the meta game itself

Napoleongl
    @napoleongl

I’m kinda surprised they didn’t nerfe valiant to be percentage based in some way (like all the other sets are), ie that there is a 75 pct chance of shortening the KO period or something…

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@kennymcc — In the bugs forum, Kennymcc asked how many shards were on each rewards wheel. I thought this question would get more attention here. As far as I know, we are only talking about the awards wheel that you spin at the end of the week, with the number of awards you get dependent on your league ranking? Is that correct?

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@kennymcc — I am still in Wood league (haven’t really been playing), and there is one slot with 5 shards. Amazing thing is that I got 2 stars for 40 pts! (And I got the 5 shards on the first spin.) May have to play a little just to get the shards.

KennyMcC
    @kennymcc

It seems that there are always 5 Shards in every League. So no motivation to go higher Leagues :)

angryde
    @angryde

God I’m struggling in the Arena this season… what with all the updates, changes, new sets, etcetera. Poor old ‘Venomous’ just doesn’t cut it anymore.

I made it to platinum in week five, then got booted down to gold in week six. And I’ve remained there ever since…

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@angryde sorry to hear that. Do you have no attacking team? Can you substitute Witch for Druid. Rogues could keep the enemy off her. Then perhaps you could play havoc with Samurai.

Could be tricky against birds that attack multiples.

mich
    @m-ich

@angryde My go-to team for the arena remains Spies w/ Ballista Set, Cap’n and Thunderbird, with a Banner set that increases damage and critical hit chance (e.g. Mighty or Sinister). With Cap’n’s buff and Thunderbird’s debuff, my (maxed out) spies crit for over 9000 damage. This team is good against any (literally any) team with a similar power rating. If opponent’s power is >200 points higher, there is a chance of losing, so I avoid those. With the golden chili and a bit of luck on the coin spin, it is even possible to win before the opponent’s first turn.

For a longer description, see my post in the arena power combos thread: https://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forums/topic/the-ultimate-guide-to-arena-power-combos/#post-97195

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

At this point, the game devolves into those who have Valiant, and those who don’t. It’s pretty bad that Rovio didn’t do anything to address the balance.

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

There’s a reason I changed my name in Arena to ValiantBacon… ;)

Has anyone tried the new set? The one with the katana. Does it only do 100 bonus damage, or is it correctly doing 100%? If not 100, is it 100% of the damage just dealt? (meaning 140% for Paladin, 50% for samurai, maybe increasing on crits?) or is it 100% of the Red’s attack power?

Pointless
    @pointless

@jadedbacon that is a question a lot of us are wondering. Most of us (I would think) now have the Katana from the calendar, but maybe not the Masamune to complete Banner Breaker. I have encountered it three times in arena opponents, fully upgraded, so there must be something to it. Last time was equipped on a Paladin, base damage just over 1800 (not too shabby) and hit my banner for just over 2700 from the 23% chance of 50% bonus damage on the blade. Have yet to see the set bonus itself proc, so still unsure how this works (if at all?). Quite curious what the “after attacking” means in the Set Bonus description. Seems to imply this damage is not applied immediately? We will soon have answers, I guess

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

@pointless oddly enough, I have yet to see any of the new sets effect take place, except for Mana and Shadow. A little off topic but… has anyone seen Primal[Red]/Cleansing[Matilda]/Finisher[Bomb] work either?

Looking at Banner Breaker, it has the same stats as Primal (Crit/Might) so it should be plenty powerful. Had a Samurai hit me for 1000 x3, all attacks crit, so with the extra effect (if not bugged out) could deal 4000+ to the banner. If I had to do the “Destroy the banner without KOing any birds” I believe this would be the set of choice for Red with maybe Finisher for Bomb (if the effect works) and Ballista for Blues.

KennyMcC
    @kennymcc

Something has changed since yesterday for me. The main reward are Shards and they increased them to six in Golden League. What is your experience in different Leagues? http://i.nahraj.to/f/1khj.jpg

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Arena Season 5

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 290 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.