Arena game theory

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Arena game theory

• So due to the nature of arena play, what’s the best strategy for scoring? Obviously you want to win, and running up the score gets you more stars, but assuming that your recording will be used for a future game, there should be a long term score inflation of arena scores. Posting huge scores means that when your recording gets used in a future game, your opponent will be incentivized to beat that score, creating an overall feedback loop that raises scores over time. Therefore, is it actually advantageous to win by as little as possible?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replies
  • ryan-kochie
    @ryan-kochie

Only if everyone else is on board. I think they reset the recordings over time, like only keep a few weeks or something, so that kind of helps keep it low, you aren’t constantly trying to beat the best runs, just average runs.

Carl Heckman
    @carl-heckman

Posting huge scores means that when your recording gets used in a future game, your opponent will be incentivized to beat that score, creating an overall feedback loop that raises scores over time.

All things being equal, the higher the scores get, the less likely they are to be beaten. Scores will eventually level off because you can only do so much damage with any set of birds.

(I added “All things being equal” there, because if you upgrade your slingshot or level up your birds, you will do better, and this could raise scores. However, larger numbers probably wouldn’t be chosen by the matching algorithm, if you don’t increase these numbers.)

cognitive
    @cognitive

Scoring normalization is not very applicable because of the matching algorithms (if any LOLZ).

Matching was relatively good till flock strength 350 for me. At 360 it’s rare to face an opponent that’s less than 30 FS higher than me, and by streak 5 it’s usually 40-50 FS higher and 3 spells.

It’s basically Rovio’s attempt to drain spells from people.

My last round was FS 10 higher only, even match till he did a couple mystery points brigade moments and went ahead by 6M in the last 2 birds.

I can see them wanting to monetize the game but if they haven’t gotten anything from me in 2+ years it’s unlikely they will now.

So, the strategy to follow is to go for point spread and get more stars. Inflation will happen regardless, which, as I just explained, is wholely intended.

RIP Piggies
    @rippiggies

Because the levels and associated opponents change frequently, the death march to always facing five-spell opponents who buy 3 sets of birds isn’t happening. I suspect though that was part of the problem a few months back when that’s all I saw in the Arena!

However, there are certainly some sensible things people should be doing to avoid escalation, which come at no cost:

– if you’re well beaten, DON’T watch vid for a free bird, just let your low score be.

– if you’re mainly playing for chests and feathers (i.e. the rewards you pick up through your streaks) then all that matters is you “win”, not whether you get 5 or 10 stars. So throw away your spare birds for minimal points once you’ve won.

– if you’re mainly playing for the ranking you end up with: change your strategy. Those rewards for 1st to 7th or whatever are pathetic compared to what else you can get for your effort and gems. Only compete for ranking (and hence try to maximise stars) if you’re a real chance for 1st, as that also relates to a feat.

Anything else is ego.

cognitive
    @cognitive

I would think a +60 FS opponent with 3 spells is about as dead as it gets…

RIP Piggies
    @rippiggies

I’ve found many levels “punish” bringing spells in, because it changes the order of your birds. Some have just the right combination to launch off with 3 perfect rooms if I don’t have spells, and on another occasion I will bring spells in and get horribly shafted – 3 birds for the first room, quickly 4 million behind etc. I’ve seen a lot of opponents with spells who presumably suffered similar misfortune and ended up beating them.

That reminds me – most levels you get the same order of birds as your opponent, but I’ve seen differences pop up much more frequently in recent weeks!

desperados
    @serkann

lol i’m in another diamond league in arena with 0 activity for days i’m the first with 9 points second one has 8 points and all others have 0 points so far.

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Arena game theory

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.