About the Angry Birds 2 Arena

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum About the Angry Birds 2 Arena

Viewing 25 replies - 1,576 through 1,600 (of 3,417 total)
  • Replies
  • ADBjester
    @adbjester

@katydid

“If they aren’t rigging the game why is it that every level 3 in the arena I can plan on loosing no matter who well I play!”

Please re-read what I wrote. Let me clarify.

Let’s assume you are level 71, and are in this circumstance:

You have spent your pearls on expensive cowboy hats because that 3x multiplier looks nice. Thus, you have your seven birds:

Terrence: Level 11, +3 for his Cowboy hat for effective level 14
    Matilda: Level 10, +3 for her Cowboy hat for effective level 13
    Blue: Level 10, no hat
    Bomb: Level 11, no hat
    Red: Level 10, no hat
    Chuck: Level 11, no hat
    Silver: Level 10, no hat

Slingshot: Wood (no hat sets complete)

So, you have a base level of 73, and you have no slingshot upgrades, and +6 multipliers for a total “strength” of 79.

As I wrote before, at the third level, you will face another level 71 player, and will start at a deficit of 13 to 14 BASE points. So, your typical opponent will look like:

Terrence: Level 12, +1 for his Party hat for effective level 13
    Matilda: Level 12, +1 for her Party hat for effective level 13
    Blue: Level 12, +2 for his crown for effective level 14
    Bomb: Level 13, +2 for his crown for effective level 15
    Red: Level 12, +2 for his crown for effective level 14
    Chuck: Level 13, +2 for his crown for effective level 15
    Silver: Level 12, +2 for his crown for effective level 14

You can also look at their hats and assume AT MINIMUM that they have a bronze slingshot (every bird has at least a party hat), which increases every bird by +1 — +7 overall. (They might not have party hats for the birds currently wearing crowns, but it’s a good assumption that they do).

It is that first number in each row that determines the match-up…. and Rovio has explicitly made the third match WAY harder (in an effort to get you to buy gems to buy spells — that’s their business, after all. THIS IS NOT RIGGING THE GAME!).

You have a base level of 11+10+10+11+10+11+10 = 73.

Your opponent has a base level of 12+12+12+13+12+13+13 = 86. That’s 13 more than you, which is precisely typical for the third match.

It is the EFFECTIVE levels, from the bases PLUS multipliers from hats and slingshots, that matters.

In this match you have 73 base, and only 6 from multipliers. You are a strength of 79.

Your opponent has 86 base, and because they’ve collected hat sets, they have 19 more from multipliers (12 from the hats, and 7 from the assumed bronze slingshot). They are a total strength 105.

105 versus 79 is a guaranteed loser without using spells. Period.

Now, let’s look at that same matchup, but let’s say you were aggressive in earning pearls, and have earned all 7 party hats, all seven street hats, all seven crowns (meaning you have a gold slingshot), and each bird is wearing either a street hat or crown.

Your opponent remains the same — he will be total strength 105.

You, however, will now be:

Terrence: Level 11, +3 for gold sling, +2 for his street hat for effective level 16
    Matilda: Level 10, +3 for gold sling, +2 for her street hat for effective level 15
    Blue: Level 10, +3 for gold sling, +2 for his crown for effective level 15
    Bomb: Level 11, +3 for gold sling, +2 for his crown for effective level 16
    Red: Level 10, +3 for gold sling, +2 for his crown for effective level 15
    Chuck: Level 11, +3 for gold sling, +2 for his crown for effective level 16
    Silver: Level 10, +3 for gold sling, +2 for his crown for effective level 15

You *still* have a base level of only 73…. you when you add in your multipliers from slings and hats (+35 total), you are now a total strength 108…. and your 108 to a 105 total strength is a fair fight even without spells.

Streak matches 4 through 7 are not quite as hard as 3, and are random…. but you can see the importance of having a gold sling at on streak match 3.

Do you have a gold sling? If not, that’s why you’re failing at match 3.

As I said, Rovio has gone out of their way to make the matches increase in difficulty as the streak gets longer (until the last few matches you’re ALWAYS at a disadvantage at the base level)….. but your sling and hats can overcome this if you’ve been smart about accumulating them. They do this to sell gems for spells (the only other way to overcome this, and the entire basis of their business model — you don’t think they made a major motion picture from the free downloads, do you?).

You will find when you look at your opponents’ hats that very few are wearing a complete set of street caps or crowns. Almost all have at least one party hat, meaning their sling multiplier is likely only +1 per bird, +7 overall. When YOU have 3 complete hat sets against them, you have an instant +14 advantage, which usually overcomes the base deficit.

Until you get to a gold sling (done by winning the arena at Diamond for 300 pearls, and taking 30 pearls a day at the daily challenge), you may have to expend spells to win. But with the cost of all three smaller hat sets being a TOTAL of just over 1500 pearls, it only takes 3 weeks (4 if you fail at a daily challenge or two) to get a gold sling.

The drawback is that it takes gems to beat *every* daily challenge, and gems and spells to take first place every week in the Arena…. but those (like me) who have paid $40 a month or so for gems, and practiced careful strategy (as above), no longer *need* to buy gems. You can’t go into streak match 3 at a 15 point base deficit if every bird you have is maxed at level 15! Every match is “even” at that point… and your hats and slings multipliers from there simply guarantee a victory.

I recognized the value of complete hat sets and taking first in the arena the first week pearls were available. I’ve had a gold sling 3 weeks now, and have 940 pearls in the bank in the hopes that a cheap hat set becomes available. As such, I destroy almost everyone I face in the arena. I smirk at players who have 5 party hats and 2 cowboy hats, because they have chosen to give me a 17-multiplier advantage due to their hat choices… and I know the match is going to be a decimation. Cowboy hats are the biggest waste of pearls imaginable.

“And *that* is why you fail.” – Yoda

Jester

Anonymous

I’ll take my +4 azure slingshot with +3 cowboy hats any day of the week :P

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@mg516 “I’d like to know how to horde tickets, I have to keep spending 3 at a time. I play on my Ipad/Iphone interchangeably and sync the data so I can a couple of stars quite easily, but no where near enough to place the top 3”

You alternate weeks. One week, you play every free entry… and ONLY free entries. You thus spend NO tickets. You do so every 3 hours, all day — set an alarm. (Yes, some of us are psycho that way).

You watch every video to get a “free ticket” you can. You also get free tickets on streak 1 and streak 4 matches.

In a week of this, you can play six free matches a day (i.e. 7 am, 10 am, 1 pm, 4 pm, 7, pm and 10 pm). Maybe 7 if you get up in the middle of the night to pee. You don’t even need to try — just burn your birds quickly, and get the free ticket from the video. (It helps to try to get the tickets from winning streak 1 and streak 4 matches, though).

That’s 42 or more tickets you can horde per week just by playing ONLY the free entries. Plus any you get for winning streak 1 or (less likely) streak 4 matches. Let’s say you do nothing but play streak 1 match, win, and intentionally lose the streak 2 match. You’ll get 3 MORE free tickets per day for winning match 1 (every other match).

That means you can horde 63 tickets per week if you’re dedicated to hitting the 3 hour mark during all waking hours.

If you take a week off in this manner, then the NEXT week you’re in good shape to crush it as you have a deep ticket bank.

If you’re playing at the top of the game, with maxed birds and slings and hats, you lose very few matches…. meaning each “full streak” costs only 4 tickets (7 matches, but 3 are awarded during the streak). (Yes, I win almost every match, with very few losses.) So, with 63 tickets and the occasional loss, you can rack up at least 10 full streaks in the “on” week, maintaining your maxed birds as you accumulate feathers due to the big score of catching 500 feathers on the “full streak”.

It’s somewhat of a vicious cycle, though, as you need to be at max capacity to take advantage of this…. and you can’t *get* to max capacity (see prior post) without spending a chunk of gems.

One option is to find Facebook friends to trade presents. (Here goes yet another secret). Over HALF of all daily challenge sequences offer a friend gift. You can QUICKLY rack up gems and spells by intentionally losing the boss sequence several times per day along with a friend doing the same.

Say you play the challenge 8 times per day, and always clear sequences 1 and 2 (not difficult). You’ll probably get 10-12 gifts to hand out from those. If you make an agreement with a friend to swap those gifts, you’ll give that many… and GET that many as well. 12 gifts of 5 gems each is 60 per day…. or you can get several spells. Those can make the difference. If you’re not “swapping gifts”, you’re falling behind those of us that are.

And yes, you have to be willing to “throw a challenge” on those easy days where the boss sequence is only 5 rooms, and not difficult. If you beat it, you can’t repeat it. It is repeatedly playing the first TWO sequences that allows you (and your friend) to swap gifts…. eventually beating it to win the pearls and feathers after you’ve racked up enough gifts.

There is a LOT of strategy to this game, and those that are ruling it are exercising every built-in advantage they can.

Jester

DDeck
    @ddeck

@adbjester

Nice explanation. I’ve been thinking about similar things. Because this forum is broken and you can’t go directly to links for particular replies, only to the OP’s first post, I started a new post to discuss this.

All my opponents have the same star level and sling as I do. If I level up a sling, then my opponents all have that same sling. I think this is “real” because the scoring appears to work as I expect assuming we both have the same sling. It is of course impossible to know for sure.

@hank

Angry Beaver
    @sambeaver

Opponents only with random bird names since birdday update , not a single FB player? Why i suspect that they are just computer generated virtual opponents? Because their names are different but their avatars repeating again and again. For example who choose stupid looking pink female bird avatar if the name is clearly male and vice versa Terence or Bomb avatar with female birdname? And i’ve seen opponents with same name (for example Beaky Goosebump) but with different avatar quite often too.

JezzaH99
    @jeremyharrod

12 hours into this weeks arena and someone already has 137 points

I’ve given up already this week – absolutely no point. Second place has 98 points

KLM13
    @klm13

@jeremyharrod: I think a lot of that has to do with how long one has to wait to get back into the Arena. For some, it’s immediate. For others, it can take a couple hours. A lot of headway can be made in that time. Frustrating.

@sambeaver
    : I have one of those ‘bird names’. I don’t play through FB, ever. But I agree; I see very few who are obviously playing through FB.

@adbjester
    : Thank you. That’s probably the most comprehensive explanation I’ve seen yet. I will say that this was the first time the others in my league were not well matched to me. Yes, my opponents are always the same and always have been. And yes, complete destruction is always the goal. I don’t think you gave up any secrets ;)

Angry Beaver
    @sambeaver

@klm13 FB account is useful for saving your progress when some issue happens. I had log-in issue just before birdday update and i reloaded the game. I lost all my progress and it wasn’t small – about 550 campaign levels, star rank 53, 6 tournament wins and level 11 and 12 birds. After this i did a FB account. Log-in issue happened after this 2 more times and after reloading i just connected game with FB and all my progress was saved.

hamvestor
    @james-simon

@sambeaver – I have AB2 on 2 separate tablets I use. I’m logged in to FB on both. But for some strange reason, on the secondary tablet, I shows my current score in the Arena, and updates that on a more-or-less real-time basis, but it’s about 2 weeks behind on showing where my bird levels are now on the primary tablet. Any guesses how to fix that?

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

I wonder if it has anything to do with the type of device you are using, Chucky? I am using an iPhone, so that might have something to do with it. Also I am making sure that I am on cell rather than Wi-Fi.

Jester, destruction of the structures is important, but winning also includes killing the pigs. A while back I had a micro-pig I couldn’t reach with the birds I had left, so I used them to tear apart what was left of the structures until I was ahead of my opponent, but it still had me losing. I burned a few gems and got a bird that would get to that micro-pig and suddenly I was winning. Also realize that people just come here to complain generally. And sometimes their conspiracy theories have merit.

Anyway, my 1st place run didn’t last through the night. 1st place already has 345 points. 2nd has 60 and I am at 3rd with a measly 39. It is too bad that he probably doesn’t see me in his group or else I would mess with him.

ABeggerToo
    @abeggertoo

@hank (or whomever from Rovio is now monitoring this thread). I have again experienced the disappearing standing in the Arsna. My Rovio support request follows. Please tell me what the incentive is for me to continue with this game.

“A few weeks ago when I was in the Diamond League, my Arena standings disappeared for the week. When the tournament ended I received nothing and was demoted to the Vanilla League. You sent me 500 gems as compensation and I have finished in the top 3 (4 gold, 1 silver) the past 5 weeks to make it back to the Emerald League. This demotion cost me gems (some of which you have compensated) and many pearls. At the time you mentioned this was a known bug which would be addressed.

Today, I see the same nonexistent league standings. 5 weeks of effort, all for naught. What will your reaction/response be this time?”

Blank Arena – second time around.png

The bugs associated with AB2 appear insurmountable. I am very frustrated with your game and your blase responses to fairly major weaknesses hampering our play. The list of glitches (including those which favour us players) seems endless. Forget about the ‘improvements’ and fix the ‘problems.’

ABeggerToo

kedik22
    @kedik22

@Rovio

@hank

Hi.
    It is clear that Rovio does not have AB2 out as charity work.
    And since they have put all of this huge minority through mayhem for more than a year, I think it is their moral responsibility to answer ALL questions, resolve ALL problems and address ALL issues regarding Arena game play.
    I believe only time and transparency are needed to accomplish this.
    So @hank, do you think Rovio will set some time aside to address this matter?

Regards.

cosmo2503
    @cosmo2503

Hello friends,

I don’t think that someone’s demotion to 1 point has anything with real demotion and penality for cheaters. Two weeks ago I had @chucky-2 in my league. While she/he could see herself/himself at first place (game name Boom) and me (Selma) as second, I had her/him at the bottom of the board with 1 point. Now it doesn’t make any sense. I’d like to hear from you what you think.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mad4paok
    @mad4paok

@adbjester Hoarding arena tickets the way you propose doesn’t increase the chance of getting demoted? (playing only the video tickets)
    For example right now in the 2nd day of the arena I have 161 points and I am in the 10th (!!!!) place, playing normally and not the way you suggest. If I do what you say I guess I will be demoted no?

Anonymous

@cosmo2503 whilst my game name is Boom Boom (which since I connected my FB account appears as Boom) I can’t explain what is happening there. If that is me, and I must say your name appears familiar, then I should have over 70 wins in the arena, and also a star level in excess of 130.

But again, I can’t explain why I would have a total of 1 point, as I haven’t lost an arena match in months (nor do I use any cheats, not that I should need to explain that).

Maybe those getting demoted to 1 point are being moved into a different arena, but it is going to require Rovio to confirm one way or the other.

FYI, this is how my arena finished that week (as you can see we have other players the same, and I am 99% sure in my league, Selma appeared as 1 point):
    Noselma.jpeg

cosmo2503
    @cosmo2503

@chucky-2 that is really strange, I had same people as you did on my board, except that you had 1 point right from the first day.
    This is how that week ended for me

FullSizeRender.jpg

Anonymous

I really think @hank (or any Rovio staff) should explain this 1 point score, and why some players are being demoted to 1 point on some players screens and not on others. Also why as above, I appeared as 1 point from day 1 for @cosmo2503 and from about day 4 (or 5) Selma (aka cosmo2503) appearaed with 1 point on my arena! Yet in both cases we won our arena?!

cosmo2503
    @cosmo2503

I agree with @chucky-2. We need explanation of this. What is important that fair players shouldn’t be punished. Neither I nor chucky-2 (Boom Boom) are cheaters, we just have our strategies to win.
    BTW I spent 200-250 dollars on game in past 3 months and my all winnings are 100% legit.

Jon S
    @jon3800

@mad4paok

That’s what I was wondering about too, which is I resort to playing interchangeably on my Ipad and Iphone so I can have an extra fee play when I sync my data and pay 99 gems for 3 tickets if need be. I can’t be those 24h permanent players because I have a life and I work seven days a week. Now that I know how to horde tickets, I’m afraid of doing so knowing that there’s a chance of being demoted to 1 star with all the hard work I put into this game. Obviously it might not be true since in this my tournament “Buck Birdface” who was in 15th place before I went to bed at manages to get an astonishing 534 stars by the time I woke a few hours later. Now I’m a very distant 3rd place. If what Jester says is true, how come he wasn’t caught?

Ravenlunatic
    @ravenlunatic

Those levels are insane, nice work! So when Rovio comes out with new levels are you automatically promoted into them?

angrynerds2
    @angrynerds2

I just wonder if some opponents play the same stages with the same damn balloons and invincible mini pigs..

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@sambeaver “Why i suspect that they are just computer generated virtual opponents? Because their names are different but their avatars repeating again and again. For example who choose stupid looking pink female bird avatar if the name is clearly male and vice versa Terence or Bomb avatar with female birdname? And i’ve seen opponents with same name (for example Beaky Goosebump) but with different avatar quite often too.”

Shiny side out, Sam. There are a limited number of names and they are randomly generated from a few dozen first names and a few dozen last names. They did AWAY with using Facebook names a while back… and most people don’t bother to upload a custom image now that it no longer auto-links to Facebook. There are also a finite number of pre-supplied images (not many), so it is unsurprising that there’s repeats there, too.

—————–

@jeremyharrod
    “12 hours into this weeks arena and someone already has 137 points. I’ve given up already this week – absolutely no point. Second place has 98 points.”

“Bird”, please. 26 hours in and I have 739 points, and I didn’t play much at all today because I have a thing called a job. Third place in my arena has over 500 points. They aren’t cheaters — just prolific players willing to either grind or buy their way to the top.

————-

@cosmo2503
    “I don’t think that someone’s demotion to 1 point has anything with real demotion and penality for cheaters. Two weeks ago I had @chucky-2 in my league. While she/he could see herself/himself at first place (game name Boom) and me (Selma) as second, I had her/him at the bottom of the board with 1 point.”

Ummmm, probably not the same player. First, there are hundreds of thousands of leagues. (Millions of players, grouped by 15’s) The odds of you being in the same league with someone you know are very slim. As I said above, the names are RANDOM, and the number of first names is not great. If the combined first name and last name are very long (i.e. Boom McPigSlayer), the game truncates the name to JUST the first name.

I’m “Rush Einswine” but even that is too long, so I just show up as “Rush”.

————–

@mad4paok
    “Hoarding arena tickets the way you propose doesn’t increase the chance of getting demoted? (playing only the video tickets). If I do what you say I guess I will be demoted no?”

I don’t work for or speak for Rovio, but I will say with certainty that you would not be demoted for this strategy. Why? Because it is *exactly* the same strategy as paying 900 gems for 18 tickets, and then using them in a flurry to rack up points.

If most of the people who believe there are cheaters are believing so because they can’t imagine scoring my 739 points in 26 hours of on-and-off play (mostly on Sunday while lazing at football) because they can’t do it themselves playing twice every three hours… then no wonder there’s a false belief that the games are rife with cheating.

Exploiting an obviously intended feature of the game (earning a non-expiring ticket) cannot be cheating, and Rovio would face a murder of crows flocking mercilessly on their support lines if they started punishing people for it.

That IS NOT CHEATING. I will even suggest that two players who Facebook-friend each other with the sole intent of trading 100 gifts per day in the daily challenges, is not cheating (though it runs closer to the line than ticket hoarding, since it involves players working in tandem — but if Rovio wants to stop that, they can just lower the frequency of gifts in rooms).

Cheating would be hacking the program or data files. Cheating would be exploiting the forced-program-exit method detailed by another player in this thread, to achieve unlimited spells.

@mad4poak “Buck Birdface” who was in 15th place before I went to bed at manages to get an astonishing 534 stars by the time I woke a few hours later. Now I’m a very distant 3rd place. If what Jester says is true, how come he wasn’t caught?”

What was there to “catch”? If what I said is true, he had a nest of entry tickets, and played non-stop for a couple hours. Remember: If you win every match (which you *can* do with top level birds and/or spells), you pay 4 net tickets for a full streak. You may even average 8 stars per match. That’s 56 stars earned per full streak, so he had ten full streaks.

I very nearly accomplished that on Sunday because I was gunning to level up Red (currently at level 15) to having 3300+ excess feathers, so that when level 16 cards are released, he will instantly be promoted. This is one reason I didn’t take a week off this week…. as I want all my birds “ready” to be 16 at the earliest point possible. So, @ravenlunatic, you asked “Those levels are insane, nice work! So when Rovio comes out with new levels are you automatically promoted into them?”, the answer is “ohhhh, yeah! How do you think you wind up facing a guy with 5 top tier cards the same day a new card comes out?

—–

Now for my own tin foil hat. I suspect that the arena groupings (which 15 players you end up with) is not entirely random. Based on @selma and @chucky-2 screenshots of people with over 3000 points in the same league, I suspect high-scoring players are grouped with similar high-scoring players. I won last week with 1800 stars (running away with it — 1300 points for second). I have NEVER played against a winner with more than 2000 stars, even on alternate “weeks off”.

I don’t believe this would be rigging the game on Rovio’s part. It would be a smart move by Rovio to ensure that people who are going to rack up 3000 stars don’t annoy everyone else into giving up the arena (where people buy things). If you know that these four players are going to average 2800 stars each, group ’em up and let ’em be competitive — it’s no fun to win EVERY game. Let people who “compete” at the 2000 point level play in the same arenas as each other as well.

Sorry to spew — I only get one chance per day to roll up all replies. See you tomorrow!

Jester

hamvestor
    @james-simon

I just lost days’ worth of progress on my birds, with the birds suddenly dropping several levels each. I’m 16-1-1 in the Diamond league, and way ahead in first place in this week’s Arena, but after several incidents like this, it’s just not worth the stress and effort. I’m tired of Rovio’s lame excuses for not fixing these bugs. I’m uninstalling the game, and will spend my time doing more productive things. Best of luck to the rest of you. Over and out.

kedik22
    @kedik22

@hank

Hi.

This is regarding request number 1335523
    Title: Stolen Feathers – Part 3

Aleksander claims he cannot find my FB e-mail address, but I only have that one, the one I use with other Angry Birds FB games and the same we are communicating with.
    Not really believable.

Also, he sates that he cannot or will not return my stolen feathers.
    That he would instead send me some gems, as if I had a choice in the matter.

But since I lost 5,855 feathers, here comes the compensation:
    You can earn 630 feather every 7 streak, so that would amount to 9.29 streaks.
    At 7 battles every streak that comes to 65.06 arena tickets.
    At 33 gems every ticket, the total amount of gems comes to 2,146.83
    And that is assuming I never lose a game.

So @hank, what will Rovio reimburse fairly: Gems or feathers?

Regards.

JezzaH99
    @jeremyharrod

739 points in 26 hours. That’s at least 74 games winning 10 points in each game. And that’s not playing a lot? In 26 hours?

Wow

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum About the Angry Birds 2 Arena

Viewing 25 replies - 1,576 through 1,600 (of 3,417 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.