About the Angry Birds 2 Arena

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum About the Angry Birds 2 Arena

Viewing 25 replies - 2,776 through 2,800 (of 3,417 total)
  • Replies
  • jo-ha
    @jo-ha

I use three spells every time. If I get an opponent with a higher flock power (since I’m “only” epic gold, this can now happen) I use the Chillie, the ME and this green pump.
    If I only have an equal opponent, I use duckies instead of ME.

From time to time it happens, that my bird choice is so poor – room full of rock structures, in my Hand are chuck, the blues and the duckies, I have to use a free video-bird or even pay gems. Most of the time this is not the case, but sometimes it happens.

Since the latest update, nevertheless, I see more opponents with spells! This is very annoying. My biggest challenge was Terrence #44992, flock power 7 higher than mine, using chillie and ME!

Katydid
    @katydid

I think the updates are all done to make money. That is what Rovio is in business for but they have pushed it to far for me. Not sure how much longer I wil play. If I weren’t addicted I would have quit already.
    Linking to Facebook should restore your name as for the avatar I’m not sure how you can change it except the Rovio choices. Good luck

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@michele-mitchell

[quote] Now I can be pitted against someone 30 flock points below me and still lose even if I use all five spells AND the extra video bird. [/quote]

I agree with @mike-fairclough — up your game. If you’re not earning 8 or 9 stars with ease when using spells, you’re not optimizing your birds. Here are some hints:

1) If you have the spells, always bring FOUR or FIVE in. There’s a very good reason for this. Four spells is 8 cards “behind”, and 5 spells is a “full deck”, 9 “behind” those on deck. When you fling a bird, you will NEVER get the same bird as one in your deck (even the unseen “behind” ones).

Best case scenario for me is bring everything but the blizzard (which is harder to come by anyway), and (usually) use my MOST POWERFUL CARD SHOWING first. Why? Because played correctly, this will score 4+ million points, and award two bonus cards — the powerful one I played, and the blizzard I didn’t bring. You start the game essentially with 4 million points and a full deck — a huge head start.

2) Your goal is *not* to clear all the pigs. Your goal is utter destruction of all elements — ice, stone, wood and pigs. The non-pig stuff is worth MASSIVE points, way more than the pigs, in fact. It’s the difference between knocking a pig off the top of a tower left standing, for 300,000 points, and taking the tower out at the base, and causing all the bricks to fall off the cliff, for 2 million points.

3) Note that doing #2 above has a side benefit — more “bonus birds”. Yes, they come fewer and farther between as the score racks up, but maximizing points can easily be the difference between three or more birds that you wouldn’t have had without all the above “max points”. It’s WAY easier to win when you have not just the “5 bird” advantage from bringing spells, but three MORE birds from playing spot-on. With an 8-bird edge, you can’t lose. (I can’t remember the last time I flat-out lost an arena match.)

4) You want to do this with as few birds as possible, of course, so plan shots well. Use Red to push towers over on one another. Use Silver to undercut a tower to make it fall the direction you want it to (to take out another tower). Use the spitting flowers to their full advantage — they can often help you one-bird a room that would take three birds without them. Ditto the portals, and the gravity wells. Spaceman pigs can help if strategically popped as well. Think your way out of wasting birds taking out a construction pig or magic pig (those that will block your shots), and find a way to take out the structures they are standing on, rather than directly. Combine this strategy with #2 to REALLY make things hum.

5) Endgame: If you’ve saved a Mighty Eagle toward the end, and have two birds left, ALWAYS elect to clear the room with the Mighty Eagle, and take your chances with the regular bird in the next room…. unless you are 100% certain you cal clear that room with the regular bird. There’s nothing worse in the endgame than having an Eagle and a bird…. and not making it to the next room, where one bird is potentially a final 2-3 million if it’s a “good” room for that bird.

Hope this helps.

Jester

Yue
    @yue-zhang

@adbjester
    can’t agree more. that’s really a good player point of view.

By the way, it really took time to address your strategy. that’s why I doubt about those who claim to score 1000 stars in 10 hours. I am not saying it’s definitely impossible, it just really hard to concentrate that long time.

jo-ha
    @jo-ha

@adbjester:
    Very good input, thanks for taking your time to write that down!

DJLarryt
    @djlarryt

Great post by @adbjester and if I can add one more thing:

6) don’t throw another bird until you are ABSOLUTELY SURE the one that’s active is completed breaking things and that any structures are not wobbling, ready to fall down. Score/destructo-meter moves up really fast as the more a SINGLE BIRD destroys ends up in pieces because like the earlier games, it’s based on how much wreckage you can get out of a single bird (aka and also why you get additional points for a “Strike” and “Birdie”- like golf or bowling). As soon as you launch another bird all score/destructo-meter starts back over on the increment level of that bird.

I think there’s a deliberate programming trick by Rovio to aggravate players: Sometimes loading up and pulling back on the slingshot accelerates stuff to collapse… so pull back and hold your fire until you’re sure nothing is going to go over… there have been many times that I get cheesed off by crappy physics and sit and wait for stuff to fall apart… as soon as I pull back my next shot something falls over which may have finished the screen but if I had let that bird go, I waste a chance t o move into the next board…. and gain more points.

cognitive
    @cognitive

In case you have not noticed… The Infinite Spells bug has been fixed. Unless you amassed thousands of spells, you’ll run out and then you’ll see what the other people above say.

Without spells scoring 9-10 stars in an Arena match is not possible consistently. The latest update all but eliminated the 3-5M score players. Minimum I see now is 8-9M, which, without spells and with a bit of bad luck is not easy to win. With spells, consistently 20-25M.

We did not become bad players, the rules simply changed (again).

Babe Feathers
    @michele-mitchell

@cognitive THANK YOU!! I appreciate that everyone is trying to be helpful with their advice/tips on how to play and I’m sure they will help others. Maybe I worded my comments incorrectly, because I really wasn’t looking for tips on how to win in the arena…I really do know how to play. I was trying to make the point that since Our Lady is now gone and my spells are swiftly depleting, and I don’t/can’t pay for spells, it is even more important to be able to determine the least number of spells I need to play each battle (I can’t afford to go into EVERY battle with three spells) and there doesn’t APPEAR to be any rhyme or reason to the formula for doing so since the last update. Previously I had a formula and RARELY misjudged this. I didn’t suddenly become an inexperienced or bad player. The arena has changed and if people would go back through the comments’ thread, they’ll find I’m FAR from the only one who has noticed this.

DJLarryt
    @djlarryt

@cognitive We did not become bad players, the rules simply changed (again).

This is ultimately what’s driving players away from the game. People having to guess at what’s going on (aka no instructions, and the reason there are no instructions is because then Rovio couldn’t change their minds whenever they feel like it), achievement bars being raised higher and higher with no end in sight, more take from the player with less give by Rovio, and the entire game experience being deadened to the point where playing daily has become a chore.

Rovio really should have had a lot of this stuff ironed out before they released the game in the first place, then we would have been introduced to the game as we know it. But attracting people in to play, building a customer base, then pulling these deceitful fast moves here and there to stick it to their customer base in order to raise income is really not trustworthy nor ethical.

In a day when mobile games are a dime-a-dozen, and there are so many more choices for games to play (even lookalikes and ripoffs), you’d think Rovio might be a little more strategic with their business model. That’s why I have absolutely no qualms anymore about using exploits against their system. Rovio plays dirty, I play dirty.

TripH0P
    @triph0p

Has the arena been easier for anyone else the last few days? I seem to win every match with zero or 1 spell no matter what my opponent’s flock power

Babe Feathers
    @michele-mitchell

@triph0p YES it has! I just posted a bitchfest about it and then the last couple days it’s actually been so much easier to be able to predict what you need going against an opponent (no spells vs. what/how many spells) and my opponents have been very evenly matched! Fingers crossed it isn’t a temporary glitch!

Epic Buttstomp
    @hubert-lo

@djlarryt In these days of smartphone and tablet apps, the time to market is very important. More important than fixing the bugs. Given AB2 is free to play, there won’t be anyone asking for refunds if the game crashes here and there.

The regular levels are fine, or good enough. Arena started as boring with nothing much for reward. Things started going downhill quickly with the ticket system and bird levels. Along came the hats that lead to runaway inflation for both feather and black pearls. Exploits and multiple devices exploits started surfacing but yet Rovio did nothing about it. By the time Rovio finally deal with them in the last update, the game is essentially ruined. Rovio would be better off leaving the Lady in place along with the ability to restart KPP levels, people will still pay gems (hence $$) just to get over the final KPP room or beat someone in the Arena. Now many of us old timers are getting bored and play the minimal. The odd that I will spend $$ in AB2 is zero.

Given the state of AB2, maybe Rovio should restart with AB3.

@triph0p
    Seems easier somewhat last couple of days with the occasional ridiculous high scores.

DJLarryt
    @djlarryt

@hubert-lo This is true. Trying to build an in-game economy which translates to real ca$h, and clumsily trying to get it right is the real culprit.

Plus I think the game came out to precede the release of their movie.. speaking of which I’ll just leave this here (warning: not suitable for all audiences but it did give me a big laugh even though I can’t be bothered to sit through the film)

Everything wrong with the Angry Birds Movie in 16 minutes or less

TripH0P
    @triph0p

Yep, it’s insane. Some days I can’t get passed passed a 1 or 2 streak using 3 or 4 spells but in the last few days its been fair and I only need 1 or 2 spells at the most. I dont have to worry about an opponent with a flock 20 levels below mine owning me somehow…so random. On days were I’m losing a lot and know I shouldn’t be I should just give up and hope the game balances out the next day

jo-ha
    @jo-ha

Fyi: @jon3800’s post was caught in the spam filter apparently.

Since some of you wrote that the arena got easier, it got a lot harder for me… starting today I lost every match – every time I was forced to watch a video!

TripH0P
    @triph0p

Yep, Ive only played once today and lost on level 1 even after watching a video…

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@cognitive said “In case you have not noticed… The Infinite Spells bug has been fixed. Unless you amassed thousands of spells, you’ll run out and then you’ll see what the other people above say.”

My spell count continues to rise daily, thank you very much. The fewest I have of any right now is Blizzard, and I have over 900 of those. I had only 600 or so when Our Lady was removed. There’s more than one way to pluck a bird.

“Without spells scoring 9-10 stars in an Arena match is not possible consistently. The latest update all but eliminated the 3-5M score players. Minimum I see now is 8-9M, which, without spells and with a bit of bad luck is not easy to win. With spells, consistently 20-25M.”

Wow. That’s…. ok. With 5 spells, I consistently score 30 million per match. I regularly break 35 million, and my current record is over 46 million. I say again, you’re not maximizing your birds. I don’t bring spells because I need them to win. I bring them because I need to win ten stars almost every time.

“We did not become bad players, the rules simply changed (again).”

Doesn’t matter. The rules are the same for every player. They didn’t change just for you — they changed for all of us. A good player adapts to the circumstances, just as a major league baseball player adapts his game based on whether today’s umpire has a tight or loose strike zone.

Jester

cognitive
    @cognitive

Scoring is not only a function of skill, but a function of flock strength, hats, sling… And, above all, time spent playing.

If you managed to collect 300 blizzards in the last month or two since the Lady of Infinites retired, that’s an impressive accomplishment. Finding time to play long enough is the real issue.

With 5 spells and level 40-41 birds I routinely did 20-25M. When I use 5 spells now, I still do get 25-28M with level 43 birds. The problem is that Rovio seems bent on their old tricks again, such as the classic ‘let’s bump the opponent’s points towards the end while shortchanging you’.

People seem to be coping, well, back in the haydays of our Lady of Infinites winning the Diamond League easily required 1600-2000 stars. Since the update, every week, I doubt I’ve seen more than 1200-1300 stars for the winner. I just checked, my current league, 1 day to go, #1, 2, 3 are 1097, 1072, 1034. 12th place is in the high 300’s.

And, my observation on current players stands. Gone are the 3-5M point weaklings, now every player I encounter can do 10-15M easily, including the obligatory abovementioned final 2-3 birds for 2-3M each.

ZoomRhonda
    @rhonda90402

@cognitive

You explained it very well. I don’t play enough to be in the higher echelons but others I play with do and use whatever means to get there. I used to worry about it and spend money I shouldn’t have but now I just play and have fun and what I get I get and I still spend money from time to time because it is worth it and fun still. I have given up on the Arena though and only play to get my stars to get 200 feathers….Wow that sounds silly when I type it! Overall, I still love the game and think the people I know who play it are great!

Katydid
    @katydid

How in the world are you increasing your spells if your not buying them?

ZoomRhonda
    @rhonda90402

@katydid

The only way is to have friends send gifts and you send them gifts in response…you can’t be greedy and prosper….it is a bit lean right now but you also have to do the dance where you close and open the app to get more gifts and do it many, many times.

ADBjester
    @adbjester

@cognitive said: “If you managed to collect 300 blizzards in the last month or two since the Lady of Infinites retired, that’s an impressive accomplishment. Finding time to play long enough is the real issue.”

I play less than an hour a day. I spend more time “not playing” to do this than I spend slinging birds.

@katydid
    said: “How in the world are you increasing your spells if your not buying them?”

*you’re. :) I climb the tower to level 90 daily. This awards me 10+ each of each of the five spells — sometimes more. In the era of “apathy leagues” (I’ve only needed to earn 180 stars this week thus far), that’s more than enough to increase spell counts.

The method to climb the tower daily is well-documented in this thread, even for those of us on jailed devices.

“The only way is to have friends send gifts and you send them gifts in response.”

Wrong. I haven’t received a single friend gift in the past 60 days. Yet my spell total increases daily on all fronts… and I’ve not jailbroken my iPhone to do so.

Jester

ZoomRhonda
    @rhonda90402

@cognitive @katydid if you send me gifts I will send you gifts. I am: facebook.com/RhondaZoom on facebook…I think that is how it works…otherwise, good luck but I don’t think you need it.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

The small chest gives spells, Katydid. In fact it gives too many spells. I want gems or pearls and all too often I get the one card that has a spell while all others are gems, pearls or hats. Also get spells from the chests in the winning streak. Birds are all maxed out right now so no feathers from any of the chests.

Katydid
    @katydid

Thanks Captain. I get those but will run out of stock on some. After the last update I don’t get enough to come close to 300 blizzards.

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum About the Angry Birds 2 Arena

Viewing 25 replies - 2,776 through 2,800 (of 3,417 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.