ABN Design Tweaks

Home Forums All Things In The Nest Forum ABN Design Tweaks

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

Hey All,

This is a placeholder topic. Soon I will write some info about the latest design changes here on ABN … but right now I’m still rolling them out. Feel free to leave a reply below.

A few quick notes:

1. If things are looking wonky please do a hard refresh. On Windows that’s Shift+F5 and on Mac it’s Command+r.

2. The dropdown associated with your username that used to be in the right of the yellow nav bar is now on the very top left. You’ll notice the logout button is there too. If you’re not yet logged in or registered, this is where those links will appear (obviously these will only appear when you’re not logged in).

3. The changes to the old forum are coming.

4. To search simply type in your query and hit “Enter” and or “Go” on your mobile phone.

Thanks!

BL

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Replies
    sparty83
    @sparty83

@Birdleader,
    I noticed the tweeks, looking good. Just one thing, in chrome, the ABN Logo does not line up proper with the upper yellow menu list.
    See screen cap.

http://angrybir.de/LmC0EC

The top half is from chrome and the bottom half is from IE 11. The bottom looks fine, but chrome version is a bit off. I did a clear browsing data , from the beginning of time in chrome and the screen cap was done after that.

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

Thanks @sparty83. That’s weird, as things look fine to me in Chrome. Have you tried a hard refresh by chance?

Andy
    @andy2510

How do you time in your query? Is it like typing, but only at certain points of the day?

SweetP
    @sweetp

LOL. I caught that too, @andy2510.
    I think @BirdLeader made a typo and meant to say “type.”

I’m liking my name in the upper left corner, with the drop-down menu in a compact design, and also the notifications number.

Thank you @BL and @AMSlimfordy for making the Nest a great place to play!

wrw01
    @wrw01

I pressed on the two buttons of favorite and subscribe in your note. What do they do @birdleader?

burpie
    @burpie

@sparty83 are you using any plugins with Chrome?

With Firefox 26.0 for Linux and Adblock Plus running I see the same mess. When I turn off Adblock Plus all is good.

Page permissions in NoScript do not seem to affect the layout.

Blocking adds on my phone – Android ics + Dolphin browser + AdAway – still leaves the layout looking good.

The new design is wonderful. Very smooth, colorful, and overall well done.

Out of curiosity, what are these changes to the old forum you speak of?

trishohara
    @trishohara

In Firefox it’s the same with the logo.

The username dropdown on the top left needs to get used to.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

@andy2510 @sweetP Fixed the typo in the OP.

@wrw01 Subscribe: You should receive notifications for any reply in the thread. Favorite: It should appear in your profile for easy reference.

@BirdLeader (and @sparty83, @burpie, @trishohara) I wonder if that zooming issue could still be present? Guys/Gals could you try adjusting your browser zoom back to default/100%/Ctrl+0?

sparty83
    @sparty83

@amslimfordy and @birdleader,
    The issue in the screen cap above is just as @burpie described. I am using Adblocker Plus in chrome. I disabled it for this site, did a refresh and everything looks as it should (ads and all).
    My zoom level in chrome is 100% all the time so that was not an issue for me.

I also checked it on my (android) phone which I use chrome on and everything looks good. Got the new layout after a refresh. I do NOT user adblocker plus on my phone.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

Hmm… Not wild about the ad in the header. No more great headers?

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

@amslimfordy @sparty83 @burpie

I thought it might be an ad blocker causing the problem. You’re supposed to whitelist ABN. :) Anyhow, I’ll see if I can get that fixed.

This is not the place to ask this, and I will do it more formally, but I was curious if anyone would be interested in a premium level ABN account. Something that would cost only a few bucks a month and would include features like:

+ Ads disabled
    + Special badge
    + YouTube vids in comments
    + and more…

BL

karen68
    @karen68

I like the new look, although like @mvnla2 I miss the banner being spread across the top of the page.
    I do find that my old eyes have a little trouble distinguishing the notification number against the light blue background, it was much clearer before.

trishohara
    @trishohara

Logo looks fine for me now, without doing anything, but reload now

burpie
    @burpie

@birdleader I could be tempted to become a paying member or make a donation.

Lovableleaf
    @lovable-leaf907

the background looks fine.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@BirdLeader — A few bucks a month is more than I would want to pay, and I don’t like the idea of creating a badge you buy. I might be willing to pay a few bucks a year, but still don’t like the badge idea.

burpie
    @burpie

@birdleader The layout plays nice with AdBlock Plus now.

Regarding a premium account, my max is about $20 per year. That’s either for a premium membership account or as a one time donation. I visit daily and very much enjoy the site, but that also goes for several other sites… http://www.nytimes.com/ , http://slashdot.org/ , http://thebrowser.com/ , http://en.wikipedia.org/ , etc. And that’s not to mention sites I visit weekly and subscriptions to paper newspapers and magazines. I’d be happy to support but my budget is limited.

Some extra features in exchange would be nice (I have no wishes) and I’m neither for or against a badge. The Nest already so many different icons for all the levels and accomplishments that I don’t even keep track of them – I just notice if someone has ‘a lot’.

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

Interesting feedback so far from all of you. If you haven’t responded yet regarding the design tweaks or the idea of a premium level please feel free. I’m listening.

Kathy
    @kathy

@BirdLeader I would be willing , depending on the cost,
    To contribute a few bucks to have a premium account as you mention.

Kathy
    @kathy

As far as the design tweaks I think all is fine except for the header being blocked and my drop down menu missing (is not on top left)
    The other differences are not really noticeable on my phone.
    Haven’t checked on tablet yet.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@BirdLeader — Maybe I misunderstood some of your comments above, but are you trying to get rid of the ad in the main header? I just cleared the cache and restarted my computer, and the ad is still there. Much preferred the full ABN header.

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/members/mvnla2/album/picture/7822/

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

@mvnla2 Nope, it’s not going away, at least not currently (unless we opt to do some premium stuff). Unfortunately, I was forced to move it, and it has to be above the nav. I actually sort of like it, as now the nav dropdowns won’t ever go behind it.

@kathy ‘As far as the design tweaks I think all is fine except for the header being blocked and my drop down menu missing (is not on top left)’

Not sure I follow. What’s being blocked? You may need to clear your cache, or I’m not following you.

Kathy
    @kathy

@BirdLeader my drop down menu i found , for some reason i was logged out.
    What i meant by the header being blocked is the huge ad that takes up e* whole header design but i guess your answer to mvnla2 answers that. .it’s a shame but I understand you gotta do what you gotta do right; ) the important reason for being here is and remains the same, the comradarie, the great help and wonderful community; )

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@BirdLeader — Forgot to mention that I agree with people who said it’s hard to read the notification number against a light blue background.
    As for the ad, sorry you have to do this.

Home Forums All Things In The Nest Forum ABN Design Tweaks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.