For or Against Power UPS in Angry Birds Original/Seasons/Rio/Space/Star Wars!? Page 6
  • 711 Comments
  • I have been playing Angry Birds (and Seasons, and Rio, and Space) for years. I have 3 starred every level of each game multiple times, trying to beat my own scores.
    Heck, it was fun when I got a new iPhone and had to start all over from scratch (the data from my 3G didn't go to my 3GS, so I had to start over from the beginning with ABO and ABS).
    Heck, I even got the Angry Birds Roku (it's impossible playing with a remote control, lol).

I need to tell you...the power ups make me feel like they invalidate the years of trying. Angry Birds is like part puzzle, part luck, part determination. Learning how to approach a level, how to judge what will fall where, or if a bird can ricochet into things to cause more damage, etc.... I just LOVED becoming really REALLY good at this game. Power ups just kill it. Now, high scores don't show a level of proficiency, they show that someone could take the easy way.

I read through much of this thread, but I'm still confused...is Game Center not accepting power up high scores?
  • @amslimfordy, thank you for the latest update regarding your convos with Rovio. Obviously there is a small vocal minority on here who have strong opinions on some changes, but I personally appreciate the fact Rovio are looking into this problem.

It means they value our group opinion and at least can devote some time looking into this for us, which is quite something. If said changes aren't feasible in some shape or form, then that's the way it has to be, but I'm glad you're doing all you can to work through this question :)
  • Rovio if you're reading this, please add some type of distinction for scores attained via power-ups. Otherwise I'm afraid this game will lose all replay value for me as I won't be using those stupid power-ups.

This just seems like a sellout move on Rovio's part. Are short term monetary gains really worth alienating us enthusiasts?
  • Since its been stated that Rovio monitors this thread, I hope they read this.

Who ever decided to put the power up button the lower left corner of the screen on the Android platform clearly never played the game. I don't know how many times now I have hit that little button when I was trying to activate a birds powers! Especially when the initial aim is a high arch, in essence wasting the bird because it didn't activate. That little power up slider moves out and the bird falls hopelessly to the ground! UUGH! Reset and try again. Hoping there is an update to fix this. It would be much better at the top of the screen between the pause button and the X button. (the one that allows you to buy your way out of the ads)

I didn't want power ups to begin with now they are interferring with my game play.
  • @irishredhead: I read your comment and think I understand your reaction. It is likely similar to my sudden discouragement when playing the new levels. I found myself thinking "what's the point??" I am hopeful that a solution can be found to distinguish scores as that would make all the difference. In the meantime I hope you post your score. Your scores are consistently among the best and provide motivation for players like me who like to compete. If people like you and @druidie and so many other top flingers stop posting scores that will hurt the whole community in my opinion. Besides, anyone who watches leader boards would never doubt your scores or think they were achieved using power ups.
  • I noticed that my ranking in GC desresed more then 1000. Since it stayed same for a pretty long time (ever since I three stared all levels) I think it's due to power ups. This makes me sad. I am resoluted not to use power ups on iPad, I will certainly not buy them nor I will use free ones. However I will try using them on Android just to see what difference they make and how to use them.
  • @cosmo2503
    Please let me know when you are Playing on Android what is different between normal Way playing and using Pups!?
  • @SuicideSolution : Thank you for your post and very kind comments. I take your point and, in light of your encouragement, I will post my scores later today. Let the chips fall where they may!!
  • @MUFC -- yeah, I ran across that when the feature first appeared. However, it does not change my mind about how much I dislike their introduction into ABO. There is no way to prove that a score was obtained without PUs, so the leaderboard that has been so useful to me since this site's inception is now completely meaningless -- high scores are now meaningless, average scores are now meaningless, and score addict achievements are now much easier to obtain. I don't think I've ever seen an existing game dumbed down like this before.
  • @chaostsar - I'm concerned that they'll be introduced into Seasons, Rio (if that app is ever refreshed) and other AB games. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be. Revenue is revenue, and Rovio wants theirs. These Power Ups have really sucked the fun out of the AB franchise it seems, for many people.
  • AMslimfordy, not sure what "lua files" are in your post but your comment on separate tracking is a good sign. Even if Power-Up and Original highest scores are not separately stored, the fact that the highest score can be identified as PU-assisted or not is key. I have faith that the Leaderboard will recover from any shaken confidence. It always relied on the honesty of the Nest and I don't think that will change. There's an old adage that says, "Locks don't stop thieves but they do keep honest people honest." Distinguishing assisted scores from Original ones will go a long way toward restoring confidence in the honesty of posted high scores.
  • @PlayDBird -- agreed, because Money. That will be a shame if it happens (unless they build in some scoring indicator, in which case it won't be that bad).

@AMslimfordy -- that does sound like some promising news. Hope it pans out.
  • I'll post a small update. I cannot go into any details at all, but I have made very significant progress is my investigation. I am hoping my optimism does not to prove to be a red herring.
  • Well, it's actually the choice of the player. He/She can cheat, or play the level with the basic gameplay! I personally like to first try to complete the level with no power ups, then I like to play around with them after I come back to it. (As I did with the new Surf n' turf levels) It puts more fun and uniqueness into the game, in my point of view.
  • I am AGAINST Power-Ups! Now the leaderboard does not have a point!

Good news @AMslimfordy!
  • @AMslimfordy - your research was time well spent! You have verified that the key element of data -- whether a high score was achieved with or without (sans) Power Ups -- is currently captured. A fix is straightforward. I hope one is forthcoming. Good job!
  • @AMslimfordy: great update and refreshing news to see that perhaps a distinction could become possible. Thanks so much for all your work on this!

Regarding Seasons, Space and Rio, I would like to reiterate many previous posts. I think power ups could be fun IF they were released as a new game entirely such as SUPER Seasons. I think I would have fun playing with PUs if it didn't impact my traditional scores at all. I would guess that I would buy SUPER Seasons if released, but not sure I would kick out the money needed to get through all the existing levels with PUs. Plus, since the model for purchasing PUs creates an uneven field of competition I imagine the game would lose appeal in time. I can think of a few revenue models that would pull occasional money out of my pocket and keep me purchasing new PUs, but I think by definition most of these in-app purchase for performance models will only generate steeply declining returns over time.
  • @Suicade Solution , I could completely agree with you. Playing AB with PU could be fun if scoring system was different for playing with and without power ups. They could add new achievements for using PU...
    What I don't like is that you have to pay for using them. that really puts players in unfair start position. Think about players from China or India, paying 20 USD is pretty much comparing to their salaries. Yes, game would lose its appeal in very short time and maybe Rovio should think about long term goals.
    But I sincerely hope that PU would never come to Space.
  • @cosmo2503: It sounds like we are on the same page (literally and metaphorically). I would be even more devastated if Rovio destroys space, seasons, or rio.
  • We have made no references here to such a site. (I'm going to remove part of your post just for protection.) Tampering with LUA files is of rather questionable legality. Would we like something similar to this? Sure. But we aren't going to violate Rovio's trust in doing so. If Rovio was willing to provide us with a similar system, we'd be all for it :)

Speaking of, this is a very strong reason as to why I did not give any details about what I actually did. Fortunately, I think I'm on decent terms with Rovio and they likely know that I'm not dilly-dallying for harmful reasons.
  • @AMSlimfordy -- Sorry, I hadn't heard of that other site until people started talking about it on this site. If not on this forum, somewhere else. I would think reading the lua files, without changing them, would not be considered tampering???
  • But the files are encrypted, which makes it "questionable".
  • I agree, there is nothing really fancy about a lua file. They are very common.
    Rovio encrypted those files for a reason: to keep their content from being tampered with. Decrypting without permission is a hack = illegal.
  • One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the power ups is that they can aid in getting the feathers. Since the update, I did purchase the ME for android and I have been working on getting the feathers. Just as they (the power ups) can aid in getting a high score, I believe they could aid in getting the feathers. I have used power ups on only 1 level and I made sure I would not get a high score. I have not and will not use them to get feathers or high scores.

Again, another way that the power ups have rendered the work of others almost meaningless.
  • @AMSlimfordy: Why was my informative post removed? It's not like I was providing instructions for end users to break encryption or anything, I was simply showing proof that the power-up scores are indeed tracked separately.
  • I don't want to make any trouble for that site. It was nothing personal against you.
  • Understood, thanks for the clarification :)
  • I don't seem to be able to 'unbookmark' this... not that it's not interesting but I have tons of email. Can you help me? I can't find it under Profile Settings, etc. L2C
  • I'm sorry about the way I handled it tho. I should have left a disclaimer.
  • @Love2CurlDids click the gold star in the top right corner of the thread, next to "General".
  • No worries AMslimfordy.

So based on several points of data is would appear that Rovio indeed has the power to differentiate scores (both past and present). Let's keep rallying until this issue is resolved. The core flinger community provides continual sustenance, the rest move on to the next trendy mobile app after it's run its course.
  • @AMSlimfordy -- Ah! You deleted the posts about the other sites I referred to above! I was wondering where I saw those comments.
    BTW, I thought you were on vacation without internet access?
  • I find it very great and interesting this comments and opinions on my Thread. It was only a "Question Thread" First with yes or no. It's really interesting to follow this Discussion round. So thanks @all who read their Personal opinions here!! Hopefully it takes a good end on Gamecenter and here on ABN with entering Scores. It's only a shame for the @admins who have to perform hard work. So thanks again for @amslimfordy for doing this for us!
  • I have only been playing ABO for around two months now. I have three starred in every level except the new one surf n turf. I have only found this site a month ago so most of my 3 stars I have earned with no help from walkthroughs or anything. I have started recording my scores on the leaderboard (once I found the leaderboard) and so far have one high score, in mine and dine. I have another high score there as well but have not recorded it for a few reasons, one because I haven't had the time to get a picture of the screen uploaded and second now that they have power ups available I am afraid that the score wouldnt be believed. Most of my scores are below average as my only challenge to myself was to get 3 stars on every level and to do it in order. Then I found this site and the walkthroughs and started working for higher scores. The 2 high scores I have were with the help of both video and comments from other users on this site. I have been reading some of these posts and I am kinda with sparty83 in his thinking when he said(The frustration part is that someone can now start the game, spend very little time (compared to many of us) and just shatter our scores with power ups.) As far as being for or against the power ups. When I turned my tablet on and noticed the pu,s I was not happy but then I thought, I don't have to use them. What concerns me is that there is no way of knowing if a score recorded has been obtained with or without pu's. We just need to rely on the honor system and hope that the scores recorded are obtained without pu's.
  • @tammy91k
    Thanks for posting here on my Thread. So you can say it was not necessary to add Power UPS from ROVIO. Is this right in your mind??
  • Hey Rovio -- Hope you are still reading this. There are more relevant comments by some of the top AB players on http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/leaderboard/angry-birds/
    page 6.
  • To - CC Jolly Yes that sums it up nicely, i t was not necessary to add the power ups. I have not been playing long enough to judge but the game was awesome just the way it was.
  • @mvnla2 Yes i think ROVIO had read all comments here and that link you posted. I am pleased to see what future tells is :-)
    @tammy91k Thanks for your opinion!!!
  • This thread has dropped to page 2, so the primary reason I am posting here is to keep it on the front page of the forum. That being said, now something of substance.

I paid the $.99 to (finally, android user here) get the Mighty Eagle. I spent numerous hours going through each and every ABO level to get the feather. After several days and countless hours I finally achieved Total Destruction on ALL episodes. For the most part, most of them are quite easy. The ones I had the most difficulty on was in the Big Setup. And as I progressed to the next episode, they became a bit more and more difficult. There were a few levels that I was tempted to use power-ups. But since the Mighty Eagle is unlimited, I just pressed on. To quote Bill Cosby "I'm still pure man" (obscure reference from a 1960's comedy album).

I was able to complete, 3 star, and feather each and every level in AB Original with out ever using any power ups. The game in general isn't really that difficult. Oh yes, there are some challenging levels but that what makes the game great. (and if you have the Mighty Eagle, you can clear the level, move to the next and come back to it later)

I understand Rovio's position on revenue. (Well, I assume I do, I have never read Rovio's exact reason for adding power ups). But to add the power ups in the original, In MY opinion, has just rendered all the hours I have spent trying to clear a level, get 3 stars and the feathers, completely USELESS! I think it would have been better if they had come out with a "new" and separate Angry Birds that had the power ups. That way it wouldn't make me feel like all my hard work was for nothing.

Yes, I do come here to watch the videos, read other users comments on how to get better scores. But we are all playing on a level playing field. Now with power ups, you can crush previous scores with no effort, no persistance and very little time. It's just very frustrating.

I will pay for Mighty Eagle if it comes to Seasons or Rio as being an Android user, I feel like I am behind the times on those.

I WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PAY FOR POWER UPS. I WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER USE POWER UPS.

All my scores are PURE! Slim, Sal, Fugi, and Birdleader, you have my word that all my scores posted here will ALWAYS be power-up free!

Thank you for running a wonderful site and trying to deal with the massive monkey wrench that is the power ups.
  • Thanks @sparty83 for holding my Thread on Page 1 and for posting this opinion (the same as Mine!!!) here! Nice to hear :-)
  • Just updated AB Seasons on my iPad (with hesitation) and YEAHHH they left Seasons the way it was NO power ups!!! Sun is shinning, life is good!! :-D
  • @e-Star Luckily they didn't "award" us with daily free power ups and bunches of paid power ups. Now it is obvious that they listened what players had to say. That's really great to know.
    I just hope, although it seems impossible that they could manage scoring with/without power ups in GC. I am affraid that damage is done and couldn't be fixed. I wish they could retrive scores before last upgrade and manage to differ all scores in the meantime (between introducing power ups and possible solution of problem).
  • Yes @e-star thank god for no Pups in Seasons !!!
  • great article @cosmo2503. Thanks for posting the link. I especially like this quote:

"...gaming companies have tried switching from selling challenges and experiences to selling success itself, and that the jury is deliberating in the market right now (particularly with Angry Birds 2.2.0) to determine whether and to what degree this strategy will persist."

I prefer to pay for the challenge. Buying success is boring as there is, well, no challenge! It is a shame that Rovio didn't understand that what made their game so successful was the ability for it to provide continual challenges.

Since ABo was released with the PU update I still have not returned to play the levels. This has not been a conscious decision; I just don't have the motivation. With the Seasons and Space updates I eagerly went through each level and couldn't wait to post my scores on the leaderboards and then compete for ever better accomplishments.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!