Angry Birds Space & Mighty Eagle: Are you KIDDING me? Page 4
  • 268 Comments
  • Another straw for the nest: AngryBirds tweet says "we do plan on giving a bunch away and introducing new ways to earn them." More positive than most of their responses.
  • I do agree that this is good news for someone such as myself, but it surely will upset those that have already laid out the cash for the 1000 Eagles dearly...and if there are a "bunch" of ways to receive them and newer ways to earn them, then they might as well simply make it part of the game for free like they did with Mighty Dragon. I am not pushing them to give it away mind you, as I am willing to pay a fair price for it...however, if there are going to be so many ways to get them, it might as well be like the Mighty Dragon and it will surely save on programming time to simply do it that way.
  • @heathen -- You are more of a raving optimist than me! Didn't think it was possible : )
  • I have android and I don't even have the posibility of play with the mighty eagle, so you still can be happy that you can have the ME and SE
  • "we do plan on giving a bunch away and introducing new ways to earn them."

As I said, keep positive pushing :)

2 @heathen: I won't be thinking of "poor" folks who paid $20 for a kilo of sardines. Possible simplification of earning Eagles for free will definitely not produce them at hundreds. To meet 1:1 ratio of Eagle-Per-Level would already be significant, although I completely agree that this ratio is 100% not enough to complete the game in feather mode in the real world.

Those who bought 980 Eagles, wanted them in mass. A very few of them would feel fooled if one day Rovio released 20, or 50, or even 99 extra free cans, I guess.
  • I think @lostgreybird works for Rovio. It is rediculous to support a $20.00 purchase that is a one time use. It does not matter how pretty you outline it. Nice try silly.
  • I do not work for them. I agree that a $20 purchase is high. My point was to people that plan to boycott Angry Birds games & merchandise and have so much hatred towards them because of the SE when they only payed $8 for everything they've offered for free. because of it, thats just silly talk.
  • @lostgreybird - I'd say "to plan the boycott" sound too loud. What people say here is the simple not-feeling of the same excitement when they pass by AB's merc. It may seem as boycott, but its not planned or agitated forcedly. It's just a feeling that's gone. And it's understandable.
  • If there's no love for AB Space, then there's no desire to buy Space merchandise.
  • @lostgreybird -- I don't speak for anyone but myself, but to clarify, I have no boycott in mind. But, if they continue with this pricing structure in future releases, it will certainly be a factor in my decision whether to purchase it or not. Honestly, Space ended up being a very, very good game to play, even without the space eagles. My fear is that they will turn future apps into more of a facebook-style pricing scheme, where you have to shell out more and more money for the content (I chuckled that some folks actually paid money on facebook for an avatar). So far, the games are good enough that I will happily shell out some $ for their games, but my wallet is not, nor will it ever be, wide open for them (or any other game developer for that matter). I think it is a sleazy pricing structure and, to me, suggests what direction the company is taking. Only future releases will tell the rest of the story.
  • From @Und - Those who bought 980 Eagles, wanted them in mass. A very few of them would feel fooled if one day Rovio released 20, or 50, or even 99 extra free cans, I guess.

That's part of what I was referring to when I said they are going to make users frustrated if they gave more Eagles away...Again, it's the system (pay-per-use) that's broken in this game, and because of that, a lot of what they do to correct it will only exasperate things.
  • How do you propose Rovio fix the mighty eagle situation? Anyway, if you say that 1/20 of people are going to purchase the $19.99 pack, why don't they just make it $.99 again and give it for free to those who purchased a mighty eagle pack?
  • For "free"? I think that would cause a lot of issues among those who spent $20 instead of $1.
  • If they went to the some sort of unlimited notion, they'd obviously have to issue some refunds...
  • I really wish we could do something....
  • Most everyone here suggests sending a tweet to Peter Vesterbacka.
  • I don't have a twitter or facebook
  • @Imanangry bird, send them an email... [email protected] the more feedback they get, the more chance it will get changed to something we can all appreciate.

Everyone has a right to speak up about if they are not happy with a product they purchased :)
  • They should lower the prices for the limited use ones, and make an Unlimited option for a bigger amount of money.
  • @Oobugular- they would still be criticized heavily for hiking the price over 20 times. We will have to wait for this year's other four apps. The story is not yet fully told.
  • They have already hiked the price 20x what it was...They have already been heavily criticized...They have also responded with the notion that they don't care about our concerns and are looking to push forward with their new pay-per-use pricing scheme. They've already started to cause hardened fans like myself to loose interest, which has repercussions... myself and others have already sworn off new Angry Birds merchandise, and with less interest, fan boards like this are visited less and less frequently. Rovio really did a number with their Space Eagle.
  • I don't blame Rovio for trying to get paid for their efforts, but what I think they VASTLY overlooked is the fact that they can't take a Facebook pricing scam (excuse me...scheme), and apply it to another market, in this case the mobile games market. There have been a couple of instances in this same thread trying to "compare" the value of all what can be spent on Angry Birds games vs one Xbox or PS3 games and the enjoyment/entertainment value. This is the same scenario...those are two vastly different markets and because of that, you can't make comparisons like that or draw the same conclusions, even though there is a HUGE overlap in the people in those markets. The Facebook world has its own pricing scam, the mobile games market its own successful pricing, the video games its own, etc... and although it might seem interesting or even efficient to try to reduce that to one, it just won't work...they are different worlds. I mean look at the results...The Facebook power ups pricing scam has been in effect for how long? and how many complaints on this board have we seen? Yet, when this truth was uncovered for Angry Birds Space, we now have a thread four pages long and people (myself included) have already admitted to weening of the enthusiasm (i.e. long term commitment) for the game(s) they were hooked on. Different Worlds. Different Rules. Rovio should learn this, although with their recent commitment to "enhance my gaming experience", I'm not holding my breath.
  • They should make the space eagle should be 1000 cans for 99c 2000 cans for 2.99c 3000 cans for 5.99c
  • Like your suggestion
  • That math doesn't work. If you bought 1000 @ .99 then 2000 would be 1.98 and 3000 would be 2.97 buying 1000 at a time.. Buying in bulk should have a price break. 1k @ .99, 2k @ 1.75, 3k 2.49. It doesn't really matter since they have no intention of changing or lowering the prices.

And it is official, There is no desire left to play AB Space in my house. It's installed on our devices and nobody in my family is playing it.. A family of 6 die hard players all losing interest, that is a major fail.. I never thought my youngest would lose the love for AB.. I guess I don't have to buy Danger zone for him after all.

We won't be doing the countdown to future releases for any of the new AB games Rovio puts out like we did for Space.. AB was one of the few things that everyone had in common. Very sad to lose it.

Rovio sucks for spoiling that for us..
  • No one is playing the APP because of an in-app purchase? Seems illogical.
  • It's the space eagles. The price is ridiculous and without them the game isn't the same.
  • @AMslimfordy - While the initial premise of the game can still be enjoyed, the fact now that the full experience (original concept game plus the new game-within-a-game concept that Rovio itself sold us on) can't be had at a reasonable price point, it totally destroys the overall enjoyability of playing to begin with. For instance, in the other flavors of Angry Birds, even as I am playing the original concept game, I am mentally preparing for the Mighty Eagle use in how I can setup that particular level. In fact, I can't even progress to play the next level without fully obtaining the highest score that I can plus obtaining the feather. While the two "games" are technically mutually exclusive, there is a mental connection and now that connection is broken in Angry Birds Space, and as a result, enjoyability for some has been totally blown.
  • @AMslimfordy -- I don't believe logic has anything to do with this residual anger and/or disappointment voiced by those in this thread.

I think I said in one of my first posts on this board that, if I were Rovio, I would be charging more than $0.99 for the app and I would be charging for each update. Why? Because I could see the dollar signs and, frankly, if I'm not careful, I can show the signs of being a greedy capitalist. Up until space eagles, Rovio continued to surprise me with their restraint at only charging $0.99 for IOS apps with free update after free update. Then the pricing for space eagles hit and that solidly knocked them off of any pedestal that I wanted to put them on. They disappointed me and they disappointed a whole bunch of other people. That doesn't mean they are a bad company or that they are producing bad games, but it does give me reason not to jump at their next release.

One of the reasons I'm not a gamer is that I don't think that the prices for most games is reasonable. Apps turned that on its ear and got me into it (AB, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja, Scrabble). I guess some wind was knocked out of my metaphorical sails when Rovio -- a company I had nothing but respect for -- decided to go full derp and charge $19.99 for the privilege of playing a part of the game that was, up until this point, relatively inexpensive to play. What's next? $19.99 for the next app that they release? Why not? If they want to charge $19.99 to play part of AB Space, why not charge $39.98 for the next AB incarnation? I don't like where this pricing model is going and it is simply a tremendous disappointment that the company causing this disappointment is Rovio. (Wait, was that recursive?)

Sigh. I keep saying I'm done with this thread, but I keep returning. Hmmmph.
  • @AMslimfordy - Also, logic does not come into play when it comes to buying products. If so, the pet rock, sea monkey, or chia pets would never have seen the light of day. It's the connection that customers "feel" and Rovio has destroyed that connection with the Space Eagle pricing scam/scheme. If one doesn't believe that connection with a product plays a part in it's success, one only have to ask a Corvette or Mustang or Camaro owner, an Apple product, or Coca-Cola. Those who doe not study history are doomed to repeat it...to this point, do you think Rovio studied their business history?
  • More like Rovio studied Zyngas business practices.
  • @ChaosTsar - There's nothing wrong with being a greedy capitalist, per se, so long as you don't charge exhorbitant rates for your goods/services, but rather, what the market will bear. This is especially true if you've compiled a history of charging specific amounts for specific products. This is precisely where Rovio has turned the ship of business towards the shoals of losing market share.
  • Ok, .99 x 10 million downloads. .99 for Danger Zone, who won't drop .99 on a special level pack? Another 10 million. Eagle, 1.99 , since it works differently, 20 million. Future levels with the occasional special pay level package, 10 million per. Add to that all the merchandise. That's a buttload of money. Add the money from the Facebook version with it's outrageous prices and deals they can make with numerous companies.. There would be no shortage of money for Rovio, profits skyrocket and players are all happy to give them their money.

The current pricing of AB Space in app purchases, the eagle, has alienated players and they've lost not just what they would have spent on the game and future pay levels in Space, but all the merchandise that those players would have bought if they still loved all things AB. Not to mention those unhappy players may not be interested in future games Rovio puts out so there's more revenue loss with those games and their merchandise..

The consumable eagles were a mistake. I hope they learn from it, but with the initial profits they've gotten from players paying 19.99 for the eagles, their eyes are big and their wallets are fat so there's no reason for them to go back to more reasonable prices.

And the "buy space eagles" and "Buy Danger Zone" achievements were also a mistake.. Get feathers and complete Danger Zone, fine, but "buy", No...

I hear people saying that Rovio is going to make more eagles available in the game for free for completing certain things, that won't get me back to playing because I know there won't be anyway to complete the game the way I want to without having to buy them at their current prices. I'm not mad at Rovio and the pricing of the eagles anymore, I'm just sad at the loss of something I enjoyed.

When anger turns to apathy, the end is near....
  • @ TruckDriver, yah, there kind of is something wrong with being a greedy capitalist. Being a capitalist is great, you make money and live better by providing goods and services to people who want them. Greedy capitalist, no. With greed nothing is ever enough, there's always scheming trying to get more and more from people with no limit to what they're willing to do to get it.. Greed is bad and Rovio stinks of it right now.
  • @craziemom - "More like Rovio studied Zyngas business practices. "

Too funny! It's even more funny since Rovio turned down a buyout offer from them, and most certainly was exposed to them during discussions...maybe this is something contagious and spreads... if so, let's find an inoculation...LOL
  • @craziemom - "The current pricing of AB Space in app purchases, the eagle, has alienated players"

It most certainly has, without a doubt! Just check the iTunes store, and you'll find that the percentage of 1 + 2 stars vs 5 star reviews FAR outpaces the other flavors of Angry Birds. The one star reviews alone for Angry Birds Space currently is 11-12% where normally the addition of 1+2 star reviews are about 10% or less. Not only is the quantity and percentage greater, they are getting REAMED for their in-app purchases. They are apparently ticking off their customers and their responses thus far has indicated that they don't care. While I have no doubt that their future games can indeed be successful, but it's obvious to even the casual observer that they are hampering/limiting their own success immensely with their decisions. Successful? Yes. (or at least has the potential). A bright shining star of success? Not any more. Just ask all those that left 1 star reviews that reamed them for in-app purchases if they feel that their gaming experiences have been "enhanced".
  • I don't have a problem with in app purchases, especially if it's a game I enjoy. The price and the fact that they're consumable is a problem. An in app purchase shouldn't be 20x the price of the app. That's just crazy. The only good thing to come out of it is I'm not getting pestered to buy merchandise so I'm saving money.
  • @craziemom - Like you, I personally am not against a value for an in-app purchase....but the value is an addition to the game, and not a consumable. An example of that is the Danger Zone levels. Rovio has done a poor job with the marketing and information regarding them, but I see them as a value and the price was respectable. However, also like you, I detest consumables such as the current Space Eagle, and think Rovio has cooked the bird that laid the golden egg so to speak...LOL
  • With the money they made from players buying the eagles when the game came out I don't think they realize just how many fans they've lost. I doubt they miss them much since they're making a fortune on the eagles they've sold so far. If 1 in 20 buy them, it's the same as 20 in 20 paying .99 There's no incentive for them to change their pricing.
  • Even if the numbers matched up 1:20 as you indicate, that's just money from the game itself....they've lost 19 potential customers that now might or might not buy merchandise (although it's less likely now) and those same 19 users are less likely to come back to future games, so while the immediate future it might be equal, it's the long run that suffers...
  • I agree that right now it all looks peachy. I haven't spent a penny on AB Space merchandise and as for future games, I don't even care if they put out more or not. I know if they do, I won't be excited about it and I definitely won't be rushing to iTunes and the Android market to buy them immediately. More than likely I'll have lost all interest in AB by the time new games come out. It's not like there's a shortage of fun, time wasting apps for our devices. There may be more people out there like me than Rovio believes there is..
  • No more Angry Birds! Let's play GTA 3 and Max Payne! :)
  • Personal opinion on the broader picture here, not a complaint. Read on if you want.

I believe Rovio may have overplayed their hand here. They stumbled onto a gold mine with this franchise and I think they're using it to try to move up the food chain to get to EA or Gameloft levels. I think that's evident through the tons of promotion they did for Space. If I'm an equity holder of Rovio, I'm glad they're trying to make me a millionaire. However, I don't think they were ready to make that big of a jump yet. The backlash from the Space Eagle pricing shows the franchise isn't as strong as they thought it was, not to mention it's gonna take more than one franchise to get them into EA territory.

They just went for the EA dollars but did so in a way that shifts a massive amount of the financial burden to the most loyal (completionist) fans. The average user pays $3 for the game, gets bored, and moves on to something else, while the avid fan would have to pay maybe $50 to get everything they need to complete the game. There's enough mobile options at a tenth of the price that they will definitely lose some of the core fans on price alone. They may alienate others on the principle of the money grab - achievements for buying Space Eagles and buying Danger Zone levels are particularly egregious . That loss of fans may weaken the franchise overall and they don't have another one to fall back on. I believe they wanted to keep the $3 price point to be able to brag about download totals (which they did - 10 million in the first 3 days) just like the big boys. If they had instead just decided to charge everyone $10 for the game with the old Eagle pricing strategy, there would be some minor complaining, but no talk of bailing on the franchise. I'd bet that at that price point, they'd still make the same amount of money as they'll make now. It's not an unreasonable price point for top quality apps anymore and the free updates for years to come can help sell it at that price. Only time will tell, but Rovio may have killed their golden (and only) goose.
  • @sasquatch519 - "I believe Rovio may have overplayed their hand here."

That may be a possibility and your assertion that you they want to be the EA might have some partial truth to it (particularly with respect to the different franchises). That is probably why one of their games that they are releasing this year is not going to be an Angry Birds game. You made the observation that "The backlash from the Space Eagle pricing shows the franchise isn't as strong as they thought it was, not to mention it's gonna take more than one franchise to get them into EA territory." Seeing as that is the case, it's quite surprising to me that they didn't jump in quickly to rectify or attempt to thwart that backlash, but instead strengthen their resolve and issue marketing propaganda to answer that backlash...
  • I'm quite dissatisfied with the eagle pricing as of now. Honestly, if they thought that they would charge us 20x what it was before and expect us to be satisfied with it, maybe they aren't the franchise that we thought they were...
  • I went from a die hard fan to the VP of the Rovio sucks club.. I know when a new AB game comes out I won't be in line for it. If the eagles in a new game are consumable it will make me mad and I'd rather not even get it. As for other type games they may put out, not interested..
  • Still no reply from Rovio. They DO take their time!.. Probably, support guys are urgently recruited to design more free levels, as more free levels are the only thing Rovio is capable to answer publicly.

I have decided for myself: no Danger Zone to purchase unless I see the real steps to increase the number of Free Space Eagles. No need to complete the game for 95%, if 100% is out of reach.
  • You kiding rovio? Beter i use cheat that free in store not use mighty eagle!
  • @Und -- if you haven't purchased Danger Zone, then you are missing out on some really good levels. I'm not going to act like Rovio's fanboy, but in my opinion, $.99 for the Danger Zone levels was more than worth it.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!