Angry Birds Space & Mighty Eagle: Are you KIDDING me? Page 3
  • 268 Comments
  • From @ANGRYdrummer and others - "MEs don't count if you do not fire them and you restart the level."

That has not been my experience, not by a long shot.
  • That's very strange. I have confirmed it multiple times. For example, if you trigger the sardine can when all pigs are popped and wait too long to fire, it gets counted just like an unfired bird.
  • I made some VERY deliberate attempts after you originally stated that previously, but every time, the counter would be reduced by how many times I clicked the Space Eagle and never return back when I restarted...
  • @heathen, you have shot them into space, tried some out in game, wasted some to figure out when the counter goes down, & you refuse to pay money for extra SE. How do you have so many?
  • @lostgreybird - You get them through game play...it only takes a single one to waste when you press the Space Eagle button, watch the sardine can get ready, restart the level, and then find out that the counter doesn't go back up to the previous level because you didn't fling the can. Granted, I did that about three times while looking into it, but that still leaves me with over 20 obtained through game play at this point "to play around with".... You can learn a lot through those 20 sardine cans...
  • probably Slim got the special treatment because HE purchased the SEs. for those of you who didn't, it's probably used - no matter what if you tried to bring it back.
  • Got a gut feeling the program doesn't know who's tossing the sardine can...LOL
  • I did not purchase any space eagles, only played with the ones I got through gameplay. And my experience is the same as Slim described: if I hit the eagle button accidentally, but do not throw the can, press pause and restart the game, the counter does not advance (the number of eagles is not reduced). Perhaps, this depends on the platform one is playing on. I am playing on iPad.
  • I play iOS, and the number is reduced automatically as soon as the icon is selected...even before the sardine is in place to shoot...and for me, does not go back to the original number if I restart the level before flinging it.
  • I totally agree with what everyone has been saying the past few comments. I was so stoked to buy AB Space merchandise but now I refuse to. If Rovio wants to nickel and dime everyone then my only response is to not give in. If they want to hit my wallet hard then I can at least return the favor. I was confident at first that it would get reversed because of the opposition but now that there seems to be no hope in that, I will do my part to return the favor. Like many, my enthusiasm is shot. I no longer have any desire to finish the achievements or complete the game mostly because I simply CANNOT finish the achievements without dropping as much as it would cost me for food for the week. FORGET IT
  • You eat less than $20 worth of food in a week?
  • I'm thinking he's probably talking about taking his lunch to work each day, which you can very easily do for $20 a week. (at least that's the way I took it, since I do the same, so I know that $20 is MORE than enough for a week)
  • Greedy Rovio you all should be ashamed of yourselves. Change it back to unlimited usage. I'm sure you will sell a couple of Mighty Eagle packages to the really addicted fans. I will not buy it ever nor will I buy any other Rovio games or merchandise. What you are doing is a total rip off. You know I'm speak truth when I say
    "don't kill the goose (meaning the fans) who lay the golden eggs (meaning the money from the fans you will make or have made from the angry birds name)."

Do the right thing. Take care of it before it is to late to recovery the lost fans.

Read and don't buy anymore rovio merchandise or apps.

If we band together we can make Rovio change!!!
  • Did you send this to Rovio and Angry Birds, by Tweet, and to PVesterbacka by tweet? Venting here doesn't do much other than make you feel somewhat better.
  • Of course I make do with $20 a week. I'm a poor PhD student living off a fellowship, I have to make do with what I've got.
  • @jtucc210 -- Ow! Hope you can get the nutrition you need. Where do they give such skimpy fellowships that you only have $20/week for food? What department are you in? FYI Slim is also a PhD student, but I think he gets paid for teaching classes, not to mention being moderator for this site.
  • I manage. I'm In Aerospace Engineering, with a BS in physics. I am funded by NASA, the $20 is a bit sarcastic but the point is still the same lol. What I mean is I could make it through a week on $20 if I had to. Just wanted to demonstrate the point of how petty the whole idea of limited eagles is. Disappointing but ultimately a business decision. Probably not for the better but hey, you could imagine how stoked I was about a space themed game and just to be completely disappointed is such a let down.
  • From @josephstrate - " 'don't kill the goose (meaning the fans) who lay the golden eggs (meaning the money from the fans you will make or have made from the angry birds name).'

Do the right thing. Take care of it before it is to late to recovery the lost fans. "

Sadly it doesn't look like they are looking to rectify what I (and many others) see as a bad business decision. In fact, all the "bad blood" coming from customers on this issue only seems to have strengthened their resolve on it, and have even gotten put their marketing spin on it by saying that this new way of doing things is to enhance "the gaming experience". [Pause for laughter] Also, they say that they are going to tweak it some so that more Eagles can be earned, but I think that will do little to "enhance" my gaming experience, and quite honestly, I contend that it will backfire and only frustrate a great deal more people. What I believe is that Rovio basically doesn't understand (or care) that it's the system itself that's broken (pay-per-use Eagles) and not any free ones that one can earn in the process.

I also agree with @mvnla2, send an email and tweet Rovio's PVesterbacka.
  • I'll say it again because I think it may be worth repeating -- I do not believe that emails and tweets are going to change Rovio's mind, no matter how many they may get. If they were to switch it to unlimited use right now (say, for $.99), then that would be fundamentally unfair to those who decided to go ahead and purchase the $19.99 pack (or other less-expensive packs), and as days go by, more an more people will (regrettably) purchase one of those packs. I find it even less likely that Rovio would be willing to refund anyone's money for purchased space eagle packs. Sum total of those two issues (fundamental unfairness for existing buyers and snowball's chance in hell of a refund for those buyers) equals status quo -- space eagle packs are here to stay.

I think that the only useful email or tweet is to let them know that, if future releases of AB includes this type of pricing scheme, then we won't be buying those releases. I've got more important things to do than fret over a questionable business decision of a gaming company (and the pathetic PR response and spin to that business decision) and, if they want to make their gaming experience second-rate, then I'm off to find another company's game.
  • I have to agree with @ChaosTsar. There are probably many people out there that have already bought Space Eagles. Plus, it would mess up the Fowl Delivery achievement.
  • For me, it's not that 20.00 is going to create a hardship. I've spent tons on AB merchandise. It's a .99 game, I can't justify paying 20.00 for eagles over and over, that adds up.. I could buy a game for the Wii and play it on a big screen with unlimited everything. Not buying Space merchandise the other day saved me a pretty penny.

Nothing anyone says or does is going to have an impact and change their minds. I emailed them when I found out about the eagles and never got a reply. I don't tweet and I wouldn't bother sending any if I did because I know it's pointless.
  • Sadly, I feel that @ChaosTsar is correct in his views on that these packs aren't going to change, at least with Angry Birds Space. However, what they probably don't realize is that this decision has far reaching and long lasting ramifications. One of the first things that should be taught in business school is to not tick off your most ardent and passionate customers. However, with so many downloading Angry Birds Space, that might seem to be a success, but with all of the "How Could You?" sentiments emanating as a result, that is surely bound to affect current merchandising (we've seen that on this site already), perhaps not super substantially, but surely noticeable. However when the next game is released, those that have already been turned off won't jump at it as quickly as before, and now it's a cascading effect... This would've been a very good time for use of a focus group, although BirdLeader already acted as a de facto one and they apparently didn't listen...
  • @blahalb09 - Out of all of the games that I have played, Angry Birds was the ONLY game/series that I wanted to have the achievements for. For many others, they were nice to have, but they weren't something that I was shooting for. However, with Angry Birds, my desire for those achievement was fostered. However, I'm not paying for any Space Eagle achievement or anything that stems from it...besides, "paying" for something isn't the same as achieving it... don't get me wrong, I know that the others in the series had achievements for paying for the Eagle, but I didn't buy the Eagle then for the achievement either, I bought it to play its used. Since I'm not buying the Eagle in this rendition to use, my achievement list will remain unfulfilled and as such, the game isn't as exciting any more...
  • Stop buying SPACE EAGLES!!!!!
    All in favor say I.

If we all refuse to buy the space eagle it will force Rovio to change.

We are the customers after all. They are in bussiness because of us.
  • I get the feeling Rovio aren't listening any longer.

Far too many people purchased the eagles no doubt, so we are just put in the "oh well if they give up the game who cares" category.
  • @all I'm not entirely sure how quickly you expected any changes. The app came out just over a week ago. Even if they started immediately on a change, it takes time to change the coding and more time before that come to a decision.

Look, I'm not saying I either agree or disagree with the posts here, but regardless of that, I think you all are being unfair in your timeframe expectations. If you want to stop playing, then that's your choice. If you want to protest against just the Space Eagle, that's your choice. If you want to cast your opinions here and send emails to Rovio and the like, that's your choice. But regardless of your choice, Rovio is aware of this site. Rovio is aware of this forum. Rovio is aware of this "controversy" (if I had to pick a word). Try putting yourself in their shoes: You just spent MONTHS and thousands of dollars doing a project for your job and your company, and then someone tells you they want it different. Even if you agree and want to make these sorts of changes, it takes time. And that's what you all are NOT giving Rovio. And that's unfair, IMHO.

And no, I'm not biased and I'm not speaking on Rovio's behalf. I wasn't happy spending $20 on Eagles, but ya know what, I've enjoyed every fling for over two years. I had spent over $30 on Angry Birds apps before Space came out, and it was worth every penny. So sure, I'll kick a couple extra bucks to keep playing a worldwide phenomenon.
  • I just typed a long, semi-blistering response to AMSlimfordy, then I deleted it because this thread is simply beat to death. No need to add to the dogpile any further.
  • From @AMslimfordy - "I'm not entirely sure how quickly you expected any changes. The app came out just over a week ago. Even if they started immediately on a change, it takes time to change the coding.."

OK...not trying to start a holy war on this subject, BUT there are two things to that avenue: 1) the coding change would (or should) take MUCH less time than you think. The reason why I say that is because they've already done the coding...in three other editions, so all they have to do is simply re-use it (with little modifications), and even if it were to take longer than you would think, there is 2) they could issue a statement saying "We listened to you. Give us time to correct it", and then disable from Apple the ability to do the in-app purchase. Actually, this was the route Coca-Cola took when the went back to the old formula....the announced they listened to their customers, made a mistake, and asked that they give them time to get the old formula back on the market.
  • You can't simply replace the old code. You need to transition from the existing code to the new code.
  • Actually, you can depending upon how you coded or your ability to plan. I do it all the time...it's the same routine used over and over again...you can define it as a function or a subroutine...and customize it as needed, but the basic functionality is there in the re-used code.
  • I don't like the space eagle either. :(
  • I felt myself disappointed as I NEVER buy consumable goodies via in-app purchase. The real world has way better selection of consumables.

Now, I've got the word defining me, the completionist. I completely agree with the following written by @ChaosTsar, and repost it again for better visibility.

Quoting:

Ok, I've thought about this, calmed down a bit, and my final two cents on this: I don't care and, if I were Rovio, this answer should perhaps disturb them more than anything else (not because it is from me, a single inconsequential player, but because of the sentiment behind it).

Although not a big fan of this word (dunno why, I just am), I guess I am a "completionist" too, at least I was before AB Space hit. Going into AB Space, I had the same mentality -- I'm going to 3-star every level, find all golden eggs, get a feather in each level, and beat the average score from the leaderboards on every single level.

However, Rovio was apparently clueless as to this mentality (a mentality that is apparently very, very common), and they have instituted not only an outrageous pricing structure for the Space Eagle, but they have also changed the mechanics of how the destruction works. I have wasted every single "free" eagle given to me and have obtained shockingly few feathers and, quite frankly, I'm done. So... for this completionist, I cannot obtain every achievement, nor can I feather every level. Leaves me wondering why I bothered 3-starring all of the levels, and it leaves me wondering why I would even bother with beating leaderboard averages. It all seems pretty trivial an pointless now.

So... ok, AB Space is a disappointment for me (at least in terms of the Space Eagle). Big deal, right? I've paid $1.98, so really, no skin off my back. But, I will say that I will definitely think twice about purchasing another game from Rovio. If I can't finish what I consider to be the game at a fair price, then I'm simply going to move along to another game. If others think like me, then this sentiment really should make Rovio sit up and pay attention.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I really do mean that I do not care what Rovio does. There are other games out there that will suck up my time, and frankly I'm not inclined to send emails, tweets, angry letters, rants or whatever to Rovio. It is their product and they can live with the consequences of their pricing schemes. I'm a little sad to see the game go south like this, but I've seen better companies than Rovio sink their own ship, and I fear that, with poor decisions like this, it will only get worse from here.

End of quote.
    PS Annoyed with 980 Eagles for 20 bucks? How'bout WAGON OF SMURFBERRIES for the whole BILL! (99.99 USD to be sharp)
  • Mastered the whole thread so far.

Premise. I work in the company that develops apps for iOS, and I'm the person who works with App Store. In some aspects @ChaosTsar is not entirely right: there're ways to refund in-app purchases. If in masses, it's a matter of mutual will of Rovio and Apple, together. These boys are big enough to make exceptional decisions.

My point. There's an easy way to reduce the frustration that we all share. The next level pack should offer A LOT of Space Eagles. Specifically, enough to provide masters with a chance to feather every level without buying (or with a minimum spent of 99 cents, as with Mighty Eagle). I'd say, 100 Eagles for three-starring the future third level pack will fix the balance of PB, CC and Danger Zone.

The 4th and consequent packs should provide Eagles at the rate of 1:1. Given the difficulty, I'd say that Rovio won't die starving even with 1:1.5 ratio. By ratio I mean that if pack contains, say it, 30 levels, the game should award a player with 3 eagles per simple completion of each screen, plus 21 for three-starring the pack. I believe, masters shall be satisfied, and those who can't squeeze (probably like me), are entitled to 20- or 80-eagles pack. And, of course, a wagon of 980 for I-dont-care'sters.

There're more ways to keep consumable scheme, regardless liking it or not. Eagles may be given for achievements. Yet another XXX-difficult 99-cent level pack may be released, name it "Cosmic Nest", where every level, when completed, gives a sufficient, reasonably big number of Eagles.

I believe, what hurts today is that it's mathematically impossible to fully and truly complete the game without spending _uncertain_ amount of money for non-guaranteed result. I believe, our enthusiasm shall definitely be back if at least the best of us (again, I'm not that skilled, personally) are able to stay in atmosphere of old-good 99-cent game with simple and reasonable 99-cent in-apps. In that case, I'd rather to accept that either I train up to join The Club, or I have to buy more cans (which the majority outside of this forum already does). "Oh. Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs..... Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!" (c) Love Actually

PS The more I write this, the more I'm determined to disturb the Olympus where Vesterbacka resides.
  • @Und - love your stream of consciousness posts...LOL At any rate, I love the thought you put behind the potential solutions to the "issue", but there are several things about them: 1) if you earn so many that you'd be able to complete without buying, then just give it away like they did the Mighty Dragon in Seasons, 2) even if they thought it were practical to do so, the coding along would be bothersome...it'd be simpler on them and the customer to just go back to the unlimited for a single charge. Basically, because of their decision of a per-use Eagle that users obviously don't like, there is really no other way that would appease the grumblers other than a) giving it away like Mighty Dragon, or go back to unlimited for a single charge. Any "tweaking" only adds more levels of complexity both in programming and on usability for customers and will wind up driving even more customers into frustration as a result.
  • Hey, my stream has paragraphs! You can swim comfortably, at least :)

Let me say it in a different way.

I share the frustration of Space Eagles of you and others who write or wrote here. I don't want to pay $20, neither five times by $0.99. But Rovio had decided, that it's mathematically impossible to complete the feathered side of the game without paying that money.

And I say that if one of future updates will grant at least mathematical possibility, I'll be back to zealots. Mathematical means at least 1 free SE per 1 level. Given the difficulty, fair ratio can be 1.5 Eagles per level (still hundreds of thousands of not-so-skilled players will buy packs, buckets and wagons of sardines in that case).

Don't you agree with this CONCEPT? If yes, join me in building solutions, or just let Rovio decide of details. They made 3 amazing games, they are capable of making the 4th.
  • Wow, got a reply from Rovio from the mail I sent the day it came out. Standard copy/paste reply.

Hello,

and thanks for contacting us!

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way. Our intention with the in-app purchases was to introduce extra content for our players and provide an even better gaming experience. Rest assured, we are also going to introduce a whole bunch of free-of-charge updates. These updates will contain loads of Squawktastic new features and start rolling to you soon!

So, Rovio sees that a lot of players are disillusioned and are refusing to buy the eagles at their ridiculous prices. So, they decide to award more eagles in future update packs to appease the unhappy players. I don't see it that way.. What I see is them awarding more eagles for players who refuse to pay crazy prices for them so they can get more feathers and run out before they've completed all feathered levels. This will, they hope, wear down the players resolve not to buy them when they're close to completing all levels so they do end up buying them after all.

I'm not stupid enough to fall for that..

If they really wanted more money and didn't want to tick off the players, they could have charged 4.99 for unlimited Space Eagles claiming it was because of the new functionality of the eagles and the fact that you can use multiple space eagles on each level.. I'd have had no problem with that.. Past games just reused the code for the eagles, the new ones work differently so they had to have people doing the coding for the new ones, I'd have had no problem clicking "buy" for the 4.99, unlimited and I'd still be an avid player.

Rovio screwed up. The mad grab for cash has alienated so many players, it's going to cost them money in the long run. Especially in merchandise sales from the disillusioned players.. I am one of those players/former players who has no desire to play Space because I can't complete the game and even less desire to buy any merchandise.
  • @craziemom I don't think that's what they were referring to. I think they are saying they will end up adding hundreds of levels to AB:Space at no additional charge.
  • @AMslimfordy, that's exactly what they say, and nothing else. They try to avoid the problem - what else do you expect from a billion-dollar corporation?

But it's still old good Rovio, those guys who make brilliant games and brilliant marketing. I believe in people there.

I'd rather continue to push on minimal sufficient Free Eagles. Let's see what Rovio will answer.
  • @AMslimfordy - @craziemom got the same response from before...it clearly says that there are two reasons for the in-app purchases (which the Space Eagle is): 1) to "introduce extra content for our players", and 2) to "provide an even better gaming experience"

However, if what you say is absolutely true (that you don't think that's what they were referring to), then they COMPLETELY ignored the emails when responding since both were specifically regarding the Space Eagle and it's purchasing structure. In other words, they gave a copy/paste response to an inquiry without even addressing the issue that was brought up in the original email. So, either way, they are not disrespecting their customers and showing that they are either a) not listening and/or b) don't care.
  • @Und -- lots of us have tried to contact Rovio by multiple means, twitter and e-mail,including e-mail to Peter Vesterbacka. So far their answers range from insulting to unsatisfactory. Maybe they will give out enough free SEs with the next level pack so that you have a decent chance to get all the feathers available so far. I think the number required by a reasonably skilled player is about 3 per level.
  • Causing me not to want to play isn't improving my gaming experience..
  • @Und -- Correction -- Looks like 5 per level is closer. See article on Understanding Space Eagles http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/space-eagle-guide/
  • I'm new to the forums here, but I completely agree with heathen. Rovio has made me lose their trust and I WILL NOT be buying any eagle packs whatsoever.
  • @mvnla2 if 280 eagles get you through 90 levels, then it is approximately 3 per level.
  • I do agree that Rovio feels they screwed up but they don't feel the need to "win back" the people that were "horribly scarred" by the IGP of SE and for that reason will never change the SE approach in ABSpace. For every 20 of you guys who complain and refuse to buy them they already made their money from me giving them $20. Although, I will be very surprised if they do something like that in a future game release.

I was frustrated just like all of you at first then I got to thinking, I used to play PS2 games at $50 a pop. I would beat it in a week and never play again. I could count $100s of dollars in my attic of games I played through once and never touched again. No comes Angry Birds, I've payed

$4 for - Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Space
    $3 for - Mighty Eagle in AB, ABS, ABR,
    $1 for - Danger zone
    $20 for - 980 Space Eagles with 500 left over after feathering all ABSpace levels that I plan to use for other free updates.

Totaling a whopping $28. Add in the Red Bird Plush I got for myself/son and the gummys I got yesterday and you looking at roughly $50 to Rovio in over a year & a half. When I see that I think "damn, thats the most entertaining $28 dollars I spent all year".

For this $28 they released 31 packages of levels on multiple platforms

AB - 8
    ABS - 11
    ABR - 7
    ABSp - 3

39 Including Web Based

Tykisk Peber - 6 Levels
    Pistacchio - 6 Levels
    Vuela Tazos - 6 Levels
    Google+ - 8 New Levels
    Fuji TV - 15 Levels
    Chrome Dimesion - 14 Levels

Totaling 915 levels (1720 w/ ME&SE) not including GE Levels. So, for a 2 year period we were getting just over 1 NEW UPDATE PER MONTH. If someone told me back in 2009 that if I forked over a measly $28 I could buy a game that would keep me steadily entertained with constant new replay value wherever I go for over 2 years I would buy in no questions asked. Its called value.

To say they ruined it, complain, & protest without posting a serious alternative is just selfish & ridiculous. The $20 SE pack is a no-brainer for people. With the potential help from the walkthroughs & tips you could probably use 200 SE to complete all levels.

Did I just stir the pot?

• @lostgreybird -- nice reply, and just goes to show that this all is really a matter of perspective. I have never been a gamer, and I have never dropped $50 on any game, ever. The most I've spent on an app (game or otherwise) is a whopping $2.99 and, unless the game is guaranteed to blow me away, $2.99 is pretty well my opportunity cost when it comes to apps. So, from your perspective, blowing $19.99 on some space eagles is no big deal (you've spent far more on other games), but for me, $19.99 simply is not worth it.

And, not to flame you, but it is folks just like you that may, in fact, guarantee that Rovio continues this pricing model. For every 20 of us who complain that the cost isn't $0.99 and we aren't buying, it only takes one buyer like yourself to offset the angry horde (at least financially). Yet another reason why I think there is zero chance that Rovio is going to discontinue this pricing model, either for this game or for future releases. It is disappointing to me and to others, but there is clearly a group of players who could care less and will drop $19.99 at the blink of an eye. Those are the players that Rovio will be targeting.
  • OK, @lostgreybird, would you rather pay 8$ for 1.5 years of entertainment or 28$ for 2 years of entertainment? (assuming your 980 SE give you .5 years of entertainment)
  • @mvnla2 - thanks for the link. I had expected a section of such a kind to appear soon.

2all, there's a brilliant line that made me to think more on options. Bird Leader says that "The solution we’ve discussed here on ABN is to make the Space Eagle unlimited use AFTER you 3 star a level." Great, but unbalanced a bit: for all the reasons @ChaosTsar has recently repeated, there's a zero chance of having SE unlimited in any form of unboundedness.

On the other hand, if one FAILS to get a feather, all Eagles could be returned (or all except one). If a feather is scored, all Eagles spent on that feather, should be withdrawn from the balance.

So multiple failures won't cost a fortune, and a sharp eye becomes able to meet competition against a thick wallet. This measure, along with satisfactory amount of free Eagles (minimum 2 for every level available) should save the day.

PS It's a pity there're no closed beta-tests for the game. It's so difficult to amend (even slightly) the trajectory of a heavy asteroid falling down with the speed of 3,000,000 downloads per day...

PS#2 In the ideal world, If they implemented Eagle compensation, they would return lost Eagles with the new version. They do count bird usage, so it's not that big deal...

PS#3 After 24 hours, Rovio keeps silence... My message was actually big, it takes time to read it ;-)
  • Rovio takes weeks / months to respond to e-mail.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!