Forum Members Exclusive - A first look at the "Leaderboard"
  • 87 Comments
  • Just want to be the first to thank BirdLeader for all the hard work he's put into this scoreboard. He's put a lot of time into this feature and I think it's coming along beautifully. So thanks @BirdLeader, you rock!
  • Entered my scores in for the first three themes. Will have to come back for the rest when I'm not busy at work. I've previously been entering my scores on a spreadsheet put out by maemo.org so it shouldn't be too hard to copy and paste them.

Some suggestions for enhancements in the future:
    * column for Average score for the level across all players
    * show difference between your score and the highest score and/or the average score. (I often look at what the difference is to decide where I can try to get a better score on a level)
    * score compare - show my score side by side with multiple other players.
  • additional suggestion I just thought of:
    * totals at bottom for each theme/world that sum up your scores. Totals would also show total for sum of all max scores and average total for all players.
  • I also want to thank @BirdLeader for doing the hard work to construct this amazing site. I also want to thank @FujiToast for supplying many of the magnificent walkthroughs. And finally I would like to thank @RLZIII for giving out so many awesome news flashes in the news and rumors forum. And to everyone else at this site who I cannot name, I thank each and every one of you too for making this site's forum a huge success.
  • @CougRon Great ideas. @FujiToast had similar ideas as well. This is just the first phase. I'll definitely try to incorporate some of these things over the coming days. There also needs to be Leaderboards for the top players, which we'll be working on as well.
  • Thanks @BirdLeader - this is great. It would also be nice to have a way to print out the results in a compact form so we can scribble in new results as we try to improve our scores.
  • Very nice idea
  • Showing the difference between your personal score and the high score is great! I've got some score addict achievements that I still need to get and this will help a lot. Thanks!
  • Most welcome.
  • I doubt it's possible to get that kind of score for 1-1.

As for the other, I would guess a mistake. Typos do happen and I don't think anyone should mind a polite request to double check their entries or even for a screen shot to confirm certain scores.
  • Yeah, I agree. I definitely don't think they were intentional. In all likelihood it's related to the bug I uncovered.

I think my idea of allowing users to enter multiple scores on the same level is flawed and impractical. I am going to change the logic so that if someone enters a new score it just replaces the existing one. That will be easier for everyone to understand and resolve this issue.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • @birdleader yeah I agree that's probably good. I'm not sure the track progress would get used that much since we are usually just searching for that higher score. :) And it's probably unnecessary work for you.
  • I believe I have fixed the bug that was preventing people from updating their scores in the event it was lower than what they previously entered. If you need to update any scores please test and let me know. Thanks.
  • BirdLeader -- the Leaderboard is fantastic! Thanks so much for putting it together. I just finished adding my scores and ended up with some top scores of my own. The "off pace by" feature is awesome so that I know what to work on. I'll echo a previous suggestion that I'd like to see an average of the scores that members enter in. :)
  • Hi all ..Very well thought out Birleader ,and a lot of work ,thanks very much ,it really does make a lot of difference when you know where your weak points are and what is attainable ,I spent 3hours on 1level last night and eventually found the sweet spot that got me an extra 8 thousand ,Thanks again ....
  • Hey @BirdLeader, hopefully you already know about it, but I'm getting an error When trying to look at my Leaderboard for Rio. This appears in the section for Jungle Escape::

Fatal error: Call to undefined function eecho() in /home/bigbird/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/angrybirds-wide/scoreboard.php on line 145
  • Hey @CougRon, I'm not seeing this error on the site, but I did find it in the code. Can you do me a favor and confirm that it is now gone?
  • @BirdLeader, Yep it's fixed and I see my scores correctly now. Thanks.
  • NP! Thanks for verifying.
  • I have to say it again @birdleader, I LOVE the "Off Avg By" column. I can see myself trying to get above average on all levels. Thanks again for all the hard work. The leaderboards are just awesome.
  • The Leaderboard is just awesome !
    Big shout to BirdLeader :) ... great idea.
  • First off, awesome site, it has saved me hours of frustration. My issue is every time I go to the leaderboard tab it logs me out, am I doing something wrong?
  • @CenTex19D Welcome! I have to say that is the first time I've heard that. What browser are you in? Does it happen when you click something?
  • Quick update, the latest version now shows your total score for a particular world at the bottom of the table. Future updates will include additional "totals" as well (think, total score for all worlds).
  • using safari, when i click on walkthrough, achievements, etc... it will show that i am logged in, but when i click on leaderboard it shows that i am not logged in, i just bought a mac and i might have a setting off,

***got it to work
  • Great to hear. Any idea what the issue was? Was it related to cookies or a javascript setting?
  • i really don't know, just closed browser, opened it back up and everything was working, a little stumped.
  • Firefox wasn't showing me logged in, so I was unable to enter scores. Chrome was the temporary fix.

Also, if it helps, I have entered in all of my scores for Rio and they are all 3 stars. Some of them are significantly lower than the expected cutoff... and some you have no cutoff. If you want, you can review them and make those changes to help other members.
  • @Crehate The leaderboard has been updated so there is at least an estimated minimum 3 star score for every level. If you want to go through and compare just let me know which ones might be higher or lower.
  • Here are some recommended changes:

3-2: 71000
    3-3: 51500
    3-7: 98000
    3-9: 91500
    3-10: 87500

4-4: 92500
    4-5: 75000
    4-11: 73500
    4-14: 95500

I didn't notice any where the low score should be higher. All of these are ones where my 3-Star score is lower than your estimate. I always rounded down to the nearest 500 as an approximate benchmark. Glad to help out the community in some way. Great website.

Also, I hit the 2-2 High Score today... If I could recommend (though it might be difficult) allow a user to post a picture of their high score in each level and post it in each walkthrough thread as proof of success? You could always discard old scores as they are improved upon to maintain server space... or not. :)
  • @Crehate Thanks for the scores. I've updated the leaderboard with them, rounding down to the nearest thousand.

I like your suggestion, but it definitely is a challenge, both for us and the user (on some devices it's not easy to take screenshots). I actually requested that a user send me a screenshot via email today, and they happily obliged. I'd like to get the flagging system in place first. As always, I appreciate the suggestion.
  • @BirdLeader - Nitpick time: tooltip for Leaderboard, your = you're
  • Thank you for an awesome Leaderboard.

Just out of curiosity - how many people have logged their scores?
  • @ean024 Right now we have over 33,000 scores entered...and it's only been live about 10 days.
  • Quick update, I've added a flagging feature. A few things:

- To flag you have to be logged in
    - Flagged scores aren't automatically removed, but are marked for review
    - On personal scoreboards only Top Scores can be flagged
    - You can't flag your own score
    - The same user can't flag the same score more than once
  • @Birdleader You mentioned that you asked a user to email a screenshot of their score and they obliged. I think that's really cool. Maybe a screenshot is only required for some of the more controversial scores (if we have any). And maybe there could be a link to that screenshot next to the score. Boom, all controversies would be solved. (As long as there aren't any devious photoshop wizards around). Anyway, I'm sure you've thought of this. Great work on the leaderboard. Very nice.
  • @jbenz Yep, he did provide a screenshot, but that only made the debate grow, as most people still don't believe it's real. I would love to try and authenticate scores, but if this first experience is an indication, screenshots aren't going to suffice. I think the flagging system will help weed out a lot of the erroneous scores, especially as more logic is built in.

As always, I appreciate the suggestion.
  • Yippee! Finally got a score on the leaderboard. Hard to believe I'm ranked in the top 5 of all players and didn't have a single score on there before. Fluke shots ftw! I'm still not convinced the 5,700,000 leader score is legitimate, but I can now imagine achieving between 5.3M and 5.4M. With a little work, I should be there before next week.
  • As I understand the leaderboards are still under development, so here's a few suggestions:

- A leaderboard for total score. Yes, the gamecenter provides an overall leaderboard. But some scores
    there are obviously fake. And this site is full of watchfull eyes looking for cheaters.

- Top 3/5/10 on each level. For one it would be great to know if your number 2 behind the top score,
    secondly it would be easier to spot cheaters.

- Nationboard. This is kinda far out there. I have no idea how to make this. Perhaps when people
    register they'll have to choose country.

I can't imagine how much work this site must generate, but I am truly amazed by the result of your labour. Keep up the good work. :)
  • The only score I think is fake on the leaderboard is #1. As mentioned elsewhere, 5.7M just doesn't seem possible to me. There are 3-4 of us ranked below in the top 5 and our scores are in a tighter range around 5.25M - 5.3M and have gradually/incrementallly inched up in total score. The 5.7M was there within like 2-3 days of the game release as I recall.
  • I agree, an overall leaderboard here would be great. Some of us on Android don't have this Game Center you speak of.
  • @skoldpadda

Are you talking about the leader on the Gamecenter leaderboard? Or are you saying there's a way you can find out how you rank for overall scores here? I haven't seen that yet on angrybirdsnest.
    If you are talking about the leader on Game Center, then yeah, that guy is obviously using a hack, as he was sticking around with 1 million of other players, but I just checked Ahmad's score just now, and it says 12M. So yeah, he's a hacker, just like all those on the orginal AB.
  • I'm talking about AB:Rio overall score leaders (of the 148K or however many players currently).
  • Hey guys, I just pushed live a pretty big update to the leaderboards. Most notably, the main leaderboard page now isn't one massive page; instead, it's broken down by edition. After you click an edition it'll load the respective leaderboard. Not only is this much faster, but each leaderboard can now have it's own comment stream, which is kinda cool.

Also, there is some additional data now available, such as the top score holder for each edition and total scores entered. Personal scoreboards show break down your total score for each edition as well.

Lastly, personal scoreboards are still one big page with tabs, but those will be updated eventually as well. I will also be adding additional leaderboards and stats soon.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!