Ideas For This Website (Moved to the "New Forum"!) Page 2
  • 991 Comments
  • A "Personal Level" section? Like that link, plus, a button that says "Take A Screenshot"
  • @EasyEagle17 -- what would you take a screenshot of on this website? Also, on a PC, you can grab a screenshot by hitting the "Print Screen" button and pasting the screenshot into another program.
  • How about fixing the problem I have been having viewing posts? I've email BirdLeader so long ago, haven't heard anything, and haven't seen any fixes either.
  • What the problem is is that on certain threads, I never can see posts past Aug 31. The biggest culprit is the News & Rumors thread.
  • There were no new posts between 31 Aug and 14 Sept on News & Rumors. Perhaps that is why.

Ref: http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/12/news-rumors/p9
  • One weird thing I've seen recently is an inaccurate 'New' count on threads. For instance, this thread said I had '57' new messages when it was actually '2'
  • Strange. I kept getting the NEW icon for the thread every day, including the time stamp on when new material was added.
  • Think we could get a link to "Your Leaderboards" on the main navigation, either near our name or in the submenu of "Leaderboards"? I know I could just bookmark it, but it seems like it takes a few clicks too many to get to my angry birds rio leaderboard.

• Hey birdleader,
    Do we think we can ask rovio if we can make some sounds from the games (sounds of all birds, pigs snorting, monkeys, etc.) and turn it into text sounds? The new iOS 5 update for iDevices let users change all kinds of different tones for incoming text messages. That would be very awesome if we could do that. Thanks!
  • Just wanted to report a problem. I am no longer seeing the 'New' post indicator on any of the sticky threads. Took me a few days to notice this...
  • @CougRon Have you tried clearing you cache and possibly logging in and out again? I am seeing them still, so just want to make sure something isn't "stuck" in your browser.
  • @BirdLeader I get automatically logged out by the system every couple weeks. Had to log back in today and still didn't have the 'new' icon next to any of the sticky topics (I did have it on regular topics.) I should note that this is on multiple computers though usually I tend to use firefox to access. I tried just now opening in Chrome but I still did not see the icon
  • I'm not sure if this been said before, but if maybe you would put a drop list for your country in the profile dashboard, and then a total standings by country. Would be nice to see how you do on the leaderboards in your own country.

Edit: maybe just a small flag by your name, and then you can check for yourself in the leaderboard..
  • Quick update.

1. You can now compare your scores on the leaderboard to another user. I would definitely consider this beta right now.

If you're logged in just browse to another user's leaderboard and click the "Compare" link (at the top of the page beneath the "My Profile" link). This will enter you into compare mode where you can see your scores compared to another user. It will also calculate the difference between your two scores.

2. Personal leaderboards are now broken down by world just like the overall leaderboards are. Not only does this make them load much faster, but it also allows us to display more meaningful data.

If you run into issues or have suggestions please let me know.
  • I think the site is great, but i would like mini competitions, the random generator generates 3, 4 or 10 levels from all angry birds and you have to screenshot you scores. That would be great. I only think the screens has to be post in discussions.
  • @BirdLeader, really cool to be able to compare scores. Are you working on the "results" bottom box? I thought it would be interesting to have some comparaison results ( as opposed to the standard results ) like player A's total score is xxxx, your total score is xxxx and you are behind by xxx points and player A is ranked xxx over you ... this type of data.
  • @zone020 Comps and custom leaderboards are definitely on my radar, but there are roadblocks that have to be overcome first. I do appreciate the idea and I hope to be able to work on this soon.

@sal9 You beat me to it, Sal! This was the plan, I am just releasing as I go (release soon, release often is a bit of a mantra for me). Anyhow, you can see some additional data is printed out now. For example, by visiting the link below you could check out how close Rocklands it to catching Manu on the Rio leaderboard:

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/leaderboard/angry-birds-rio/?u=1263&worldid=-1&worldname=smugglers-den&compare=1834

At the top you see that Manu is ranked 1st with a total score of, "20,274,850". In the light green compare bar you see that Rocklands is, "ranked 2nd with a total score of 20,013,400 (-261,450)". The last part in parenthesis is how far behind Rocklands is from manu. If Rocklands happened to be ahead of Manu it would show as a positive number.
  • lol, I figured it was on your list somewhere. It really looks great !
    Any comparaison to manumalin is a bit masochistic ... he's not human ha ha ;-)
  • Another update that has been a long time coming.

One of the most requested features by far has been the ability to how you rank on each level on your personal leaderboard. While we have this data, outputting it for every level taxes our database server to the max. Fortunately, today I decided to put my thinking cap on and really tackle this problem. The result? My thinking cap is burnt to a crisp because my head exploded. Oh, and you an now view your ranking for each level on your personal leaderboard.

For example, here's angryGRX's Angry Birds Seasons Wreck the Halls personal leaderboard:

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/leaderboard/angry-birds-seasons/?u=5369&worldid=22&worldname=wreck-the-halls

It now has a "Rank" column. This also works in compare mode:

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/leaderboard/angry-birds-seasons/?u=5369&worldid=22&worldname=wreck-the-halls&compare=5458
  • I just noticed that the user leaderboards now show the user's rank for each level. I know this has been on the "wish list" for awhile. It's really cool to see how you rank for any given level. But now that I look at it, please make it go away. I thought I was doing pretty good on the newer episodes, but when i go to those leaderboards, WOW do i need to improve. First, I tried to just get 3 stars. Then I just tried to get above average, now when I see some of my level rankings, that just puts a whole new level of pressure on me to try and improve my scores.

Overall, great improvement.
  • Haha, thanks @sparty83.

Just so people are aware, we don't have a great way to handle ties currently, so your "true" rank might be higher or lower based on how many ties there are. Even so, I think it's a great feature that adds another layer of usefulness to the boards.
  • Here's what I hope is a simple request. In the Angry Birds Seasons, Seasons Greedings, is it possible to mark or put on some sort of indicator for the levels that had the "Santa Hat" glitch? Inbetween the release of new episodes, I go back to older levels and try to improve scores. I have pretty much given up on Season Greedings because I am not sure which levels had the glitch. I know there may be some levels that I can improve scores on, but don't want to waste time where I know I will never get close to a high score.
  • It would be nice to have an extra column in the leaderboards to track feathers, could have a simple on/off button to click when you get the feather, and then a total # achieved for each world, game etc
  • @mjr73 good idea I would like it.
  • Slim,
    What I meant was when I go to the leaderboard pages. Is it possible to show on the leaderboard pages which levels had the Santa Hat glitch. I use basically 3 methods to see which levels I need to improve on. First is Off Average, Second is Off High and third is Rank for a given level. I will sort the levels based on these 3 columns and work on the level that needs the most work. Admittedly I dont have the greatest memory so constantly switching the sort, I sometimes forget which one has the glitch. (although there are a couple that are quite obvious)
    I also think this might be helpful to the new users who may not be quite familiar with the glitch.
  • Hrm, maybe we can do that, but for now that list included above is probably your best reference.
  • Admins -- Your prioritized list of improvements you would like to make would be interesting. : )
  • That stays in-house, sorry.
  • Not sure if this has been brought up before, so sorry if I am repeating a request.

It would be nice to have some sort of indication on the leaderboards if a high score has been flagged and verified as a high score. There has been in the past when I have tried to improve my scores and have seen a high score that seems incorrect. (whether that be a simple typo, entered in wrong spot, or a blatent lie). At times I feel hesitant to flag a score, especially for some of the old episodes, as those scores may have already been verified. (I do know that I can not flag a score more than once)

I think this would also help decrease the amount of flagging of scores if we, the users, already know the score is legit.

It would also help you guys (the admins) from having to deal with multiple flags for legit scores in the future.

I can also see a downside in that everyone would know that someone's high score has been questioned. I could see that causing some issues with the person who posted the score. Not sure how I would feel if someone questioned my high score (if I ever get one)
  • We want to incorporate a way of marking screenshot-submitted top scores.

However, we don't want users to be able to see how many flags a score has received.
  • Enjoying the easy access to my leaderboard via pull-down menu. But there are still a few things about using leaderboards and profiles that could be improved (or at least my understanding of how to use them):

1) If you are in the forum, and click on your name, you get a page with several tabs (notifications, activity, discussions, forum). This contains a lot more info than if you go to your profile from someplace else. As far as I can tell, everywhere else (including the pull-down menu), if you click on your profile, you get a single page with recent comments. Would be nice to get all the info from all locations.

2) What are notifications and inbox used for? Speaking of inbox, can you tag messages to go to specific members? I haven't gotten any messages, even though I think people have used @mvnla2 in their messages a couple of times??? (I think this was discussed in the past, but I can't find it.)

3) Would be nice to have the pull-down feature in the forum also, if it is possible : )
  • Slim and BL -- I know you have been busy recently, but can you please answer question about sending messages to specific users? @username doesn't seem to work for me??? : )
  • @mvnla2 Respectively:

1. Technically speaking, while interconnected by login, the forum is separate from the rest of ABN. Not ideal I know, but it is what it is...for now at least.

2. Inbox, Notifications, and Activity are all exclusive to the forum right now.

Your inbox is where "Conversations" are located. Conversations are only visible to those who are part of said conversation. You can start a conversation by clicking the "Conversation" and then the, "Start a Conversation" button on the top right hand side. You can also click on someones users name and then click, "Send [username] a message". The latter is basically a DM (direct message) feature, but it starts a conversation just the same. Additional people can be added to conversations at anytime.

Notifications are just that. They're just simple snippets notifying you that something has happened (i.e. you received a message from so and so).

Activity is kind of like your Facebook wall. We don't use it much here, but it's a place to post something and get feedback or some other type of response.

Prefixing a username with an '@' symbol is a way of responding to someone. It also hyperlinks their user name to their profile.

3. Yes, I know. Unfortunately, this is easier said that done due to the issue I cited in #1 above.

I hope this helps. I know it's not perfect, but it's a work in progress, so expect things to evolve over time.
  • There seem to be a lot of pages that are difficult / impossible to find from this website, i.e. you need to find them through Twitter or ??? Would be nice if there were an easy / logical link from here.
    BTW -- Thanks for the detailed answer above.
  • Not sure what pages you are referring to. Try using the search bar in the top-right if you are having difficulty.
  • Hard to search for something if you don't know it exists : ) Until today it was hard to find some of the backgrounds. A couple of weeks ago (not to mention now), you could only get to the AB teaparty from Twitter. Would it be possible to add a site index?
  • To find things like backgrounds, you can nav via "More > Downloads" on the top bar, or search the word "backgrounds". Also, if you find one but want to see if there are more, you can click on the tag "Freebees" at the bottom of the post.

A few images we post as singularities: Just release the image on Twitter with a direct link. It would not be practical to create a post on the main page just for one image.
  • What about creating a site index??? Pretty please?
  • Maybe a recent comments section for the forum?
  • Should work automatically. Topics are sorted by most recent comment, and display the number of new comments on that topic.
  • Or an exclamination mark button to show that the comment is important and/or needs an admin's attention? (I just thought of this when I was replying to AB fan 1000) BTW why are comments closed on the privacy policy?
  • I don't think that functionality is necessary right now. I'm usually around.

Comments are closed because that page should be standalone and the focus of itself. If you have questions about the policy, it is probably best to ask in the "about" section.
  • I remember someone suggesting that you could show who's on. Maybe you can friend people and they would get added on a friends list and it could show if any of your friends are on.(like in gmail)
  • @AMslimfordy Why was ABfan's comment removed?
  • Less comments per page, I think 25 is a nice amount.
  • @kartflyer It's a private matter. Not really at liberty to discuss it.

@zone020 The number of comments per page goes by the number of threads. If a thread is really long, it still only counts as 1 thread.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!