Is there an Angry Birds backup app that works on Jelly Bean? Page 2
  • 83 Comments
  • This is a recent issue for me as well. I upgraded and copied scores over from my Samsung Exhibit to the Galaxy S, but have had an issue with the Galaxy SIII. I have went ahead and rooted my phone, and now I could get the scores from the first 4 games copies from apps by Whitney Champion, Angry Backup, Seasons Backup, Rio Backup and Space Backup. Those apps have 'rooted jellybean' options. However, she did not make a Star Wars app. Here's my question- now that I've rooted I was going to use the airdroid option, but when I go to "data>data> com.rovio.••• > files" I cannot see any files past the original Data file. How do I enable permissions, or what do I need to do? Airdroid acts like there are no files past that, but I have Root Explorer and know that they are there. FYI, Helium (Carbon) was not an option since my older phone could not run it.
  • Whitney says no plans for Star Wars App. :-(
  • Airdroid is just a normal file manager (sorry for my false guide :) ). Try using root browser/explorer to backup Star Wars. Here's my guide :
    1. Go to system root (just press up repeatedly until you can't get the upper directory/until the "press once more to exit pops up)
    2. Go to data > data > com.rovio.angrybirdsstarwars.ads.iap > files
    3. Copy the highscores.lua and settings.lua to yourSD card
    4. Share those files to your other device
    5. Download Angry Birds Backup 2 SD
    6. Move/copy the lua files to the AngryBirdsBackup2SD folder (make that folder if it doesn't exist in your SD card)
    7. Open the Angry Birds Backup 2 SD and tap restore on the Star Wars field (play at least one level)
    All done! Note that the Angry Birds Backup 2SD are only works on devices that have Android OS lower than jelly bean
  • @auraya

I sure am, and it is practically finished. Just had to divert my attention to replacing my cars shocks and springs.

@chas038

By the weekend my guide should be up and that includes details of an app that supports Star Wars.
  • Hi all, update for me. I've been working on this too. Happy to say that my files were just copied. And as I look above, @Birds detailed what I did. The Backup to SD program got me my files, and since I rooted my phone (very easy) I used Root Browser to delete old files and copy them in. Worked like a charm! Now I swear Rovio better get that cloud up, because if I have to do this a third time...
  • To add, if you want to share the data to other jelly bean devices, here's how to do it:
    1. Download Helium on both devices (It's compatible with Android 4.0 (ICS) and above)
    2. If your device is rooted, tap grant/allow when it asked
    3. Choose where do you want to svae your backup, check the Angry Birds Star Wars and tap backup
    4. Go to your file manager > carbon > com.angrybirdsstarwars.ads.iap
    5. Share the files on that folder to your other device
    6. On your other device, Move the files (that have been shared) to 'com.rovio.angrybirdsstarwars.ads.iap' folder (make one if it doesn't exist in the carbon folder
    7. Open Helium, tap on the 'restore and sync' tab
    8. Choose where do you save the files
    9. Check Angry Birds Star Wars and tap restore
  • I tried Helium (from Clockwork) last weekend…… it did work!!
    I could backup and transfer my Angry Birds scores from 4.0.3 Icecream Sandwich to 4.1.1 Jelly Bean successfully! Both of the devices are not rooted.
    I chose to backup the app data only……then restore the scores on my Samsung Note II…… all the scores have been transferred.
  • So, I had an HTC Evo with android 2.3.5. This is where I played angry birds and have all of my accomplishments, on my SD card. I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4 with android 4.2.2. I had been using "Angry back up for the birds" developed by Perrick O'Murphy. The day before I bought the new phone, I looked for this app in the play store and could not find it. So I downloaded "Angry birds backup" developed by Rice Labs. I also downloaded drop box. I backed up to the dropbox. When I tried to restore to the new phone, I kept getting an error message. So even carbon/helium will not work for me because the android version on the phone that I am trying to back up from is too low?? Is there a solution for my situation, other than starting all over from scratch?
  • @Sheila - be patient, the answer is yes (albeit a little involved - but does not require root).

I am so close to finishing my guide, I can see the end in sight. I just have to get my wording straight.
  • Thank you for your work on this guide. I'm sure there are many that appreciate this. I know I am not the only one in this situation. I am not technically savvy, and only learned yesterday what root means. :-( Will your guide be simple enough for someone like me to follow? I'll be patiently waiting for your guide!
  • Although the root way is easier, there's a risk that you can "brick" (or broke) your device.
  • Oh yeah, @CmdrBond do you use adb pull method for your guide? I'm kind of forget what you say it last time O_o
  • @Sheila - I hope so.

@Birds - that may be, but many people just do not understand rooting,its benefits and it's potential pitfalls.
  • I have another question that I hope someone can help me with. The icons for each "story" - Ham-o-ween, Birdday Party, etc in the angry birds games, and the icons within each level - numbered levels, were what I considered a normal large size on my HTC Evo, running with android 2.3.5. Now with the Galaxy s4, running with android 4.2.2, these are really, really small, on a larger screen. Harder to see. The score during game play is harder to see as well. Has any one else had this problem? Is there anything I can do about it?
  • @Sheila - don't know about the size of the icons - it might be due to the resolution of the screen though, the S4 is full HD which means lots more pixels.

Thus something that is 100 pixels will look smaller if the resolution is higher.
  • thanks for the info CmdrBond
  • I'll try it on my mom's S4. I play BP on it and the icons look fine
  • Thank you Birds. Let me know how it looks.
  • @shelia,
    The only thing I can think of is the screen resolution. Since your HTC has a screen resolution of 480-by-800 and your Galaxy S4 has a screen resolution of 1920×1080, the same size icon will look much smaller on the Galaxy. Its the same as changing the screen resolution on your monitor (or laptop screen)
  • @sparty83
    Thanks, that makes sense to me now.

@CmdrBond,

Yeah!!!! Can't wait.
  • @CmdrBond @AMSlimfordy -- I think it would be nice to add a reference to CmdrBond's guide to the main posts of this and the other Android backup forum.
  • @mvnla2 - I am not entirely sure what you mean.

I have not made my guide publicly available yet, waiting on confirmation from @AMslimfordy and/or @BirdLeader (who are on the case).

I do know they want to link it into the existing guides regarding Android. Thing is there is a lot of text and images on my guide.

My guide shows 96 images (a few are duplicated so total number is actually less) and (according to MS Word) has a word count of 5,228 words in 449 paragraphs. This is all split over 8 sections, 16 sub-sections, and 12 sub-sub-sections.

Even I didn't realise I had waffled on that much :D

Patience is now needed for @AMslimfordy and @BirdLeader to digest it and proceed how they see fit.
  • @CmdrBond - Just wanted to say a big thank you for your efforts on this!
  • @CmdrBond -- It sounded like the admins were planning to make an official guide, not a forum, so I thought it would be nice if they added a link to it in each of the main posts in the 2 forums on Android backup. That way people would not need to read through all the pages of the forums and be confused about where to look.
  • Ok, this thing is getting weirder. I test ABS on my dad's note II (which is also an HD device). The icons look normal. I play ABS on my mom's S4 and the icons look tiny. Both devices have the same resolution (although note II is bigger than S4, they have the same resolution). I want to upload the screenshots, but I'm too busy today. I'll try to upload it tomorrow.
  • Not quite - the S4 has a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, the Note 2 only has 1280 x 720.

Not a massive difference, but the larger screen with lower res will look bigger than a smaller screen with higher res. Swap the screen size and keep the res the same I think thinker hey would be equal.

That said this thread appears to be veering off topic.
  • Hehe, sorry about that. Just want to answer @Sheila question :)
  • Thanks @birds and @CmdrBond for helping me with my question about the tiny icons on the S4. I realize it is off topic, but I couldn't figure out how to introduce a new topic. :-( I know both of your explanations were the same, but for some reason, the computer screen comparison made it click in my mind. It sounds like those who have an S4 are stuck with the tiny icons.

@CmdrBond, I'm excited about your guide, I really don't want to start from scratch!!
  • @CmdrBond's guide is live. We admittedly made a few tweaks here and there to match ABN, but all the smart stuff belongs to him.

I believe it's best to close out this thread then. Any further questions or comments can be asked in the post itself.

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/how-to-back-up-angry-birds-progress-on-android-rooted-and-non-rooted/
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!