Will Bad Piggies (BP) be Rovio's Luigi?
  • It was only a matter of time before Rovio developed a game with the only other characters in the AB world. After reading some of the articles about Bad Piggies I have become a little worried.

"There’s not much intense thinking required: An intuitive interface guides the player in assembling the vehicle, and if it crashes before collecting all three stars, the player is taken right back to the start screen. Many argue that this ease of play was lacking in the company’s last effort, Amazing Alex"

I thought that AA was very easy & bland. In a good portion of the levels you could place a book above a star, dropping it to collect it. I understand these games are designed for children in mind but AB has that unique ability to be easy enough for children but much more complex if you want it to be. This is what makes it so entertaining for adults (who buy the merchandise for their kids & themselves). AB does this by having the points system control the number of stars. What troubles me is that Rovio has shown us with AA game-play of "collecting stars" (from the article BP will have the same "collecting") & by releasing PUps (no Pup complaining allowed!) that the points system isn't a focus for them. If anything they are moving away from it.

I can't help but think of Mario & Luigi with AB & BP. Mario is arguably the most successful video game character ever. Nintendo has tried to broaden the Mario franchise on numerous occasions with Luigi based game. Since these games were taken from "Mario's" world all I could think of while playing was, "I wonder what Mario is doing right now". Because of this none have been very good or successful, and some have been bad choices all together. For example, Nintendo made the horrible decision to release Luigi's Mansion as their flagship title for the Gamecube.

I'm really pulling for Rovio here because I want another addicting game. I don't want the casual gamer to have 3 stars on all levels. I want them to be able to enjoy the game but need to put some thought in on some levels. I really hope BP doesn't turn in to Rovio's Luigi.

What are your thoughts?

• 16 Comments
  • Oooooh yes i Love Super Mario and Luigi. I have all of them on my PC :-)

Very Good idea @lostgreybird :-)
  • 'bad piggies' has the same acronym as the 'bloated pig'!
  • I like luigi, he can't be like the pigs because luigi is good, the pigs are bad
  • Ooh @angryperson it seems to be a new piggie joke :-)
  • @lostgreybird I know exactly how you feel, and I think it's not something to worry about. I personally wouldn't like bad piggies to become Rovio's Luigi (although we haven't played it yet; we could be surprised) because I'm not a real fan of contraptions game. But note that this is not bad at all, since it means that Rovio is trying new things and will eventually find the perfect formula for a new game.
  • I like Mario and luigi are great but I like Mario a lot better
  • @lostgreybird I appreciate what you're getting at, but we should give the game and Rovio a chance and let them release it first. We could be mightily surprised.

I would hope for something that's accessible but challenging on a number of levels, as you say, but whether to expect that or not I'm not sure. This isn't Birds, it's PIggies, so there'll be a whole different approach to things which might mean it doesn't hit the right note with various people.

The AA trial I played didn't impress me, so I'm hoping for something more from Piggies, as you can't wait this long to give the pigs their shining moment then stuff it up :)
  • I love luigi @Dorito, he's a great guy, but the pigs are evil
  • @hinarei I am hoping that BP has a points meter of some sort depending on speed of completion, or something similar to that. I always thought while playing AA that there were so many different ways to complete the level with 3* but that if speed of completion, or least objects used gave you more points then I would have gone back and played more often.

IMO this game is such a huge step for Rovio. A companies ability to grow its staple brand is extremely hard and its what sets apart the big boys. Since Rovio has such high expectations for their future, theme parks etc., Im excited to see how they interpret the expansion of the AB world.
  • So after playing BP for a couple hours I think Rovio is safe here. It's a pretty good game and I think they did everything they could to make it a successful stand alone title. I still wish they had some sort of way to compete via scores so that a Leaderboard could be made. I was thinking of get points for time of completing the level & for the least destruction to your vehicle (similar to AB destruction points but opposite).

Other than that I BP can be just as big as AB. While there are only so many contraption pieces to use for updates in AA, the size of some of the BP levels allows for so much creativity from the developers for future updates. I can picture it now...attaching wheels to pumpkin carts & having candy cane hooks to slide down zip lines. The possibilities are endless.
  • To quote @lostgreybird - Other than that I BP can be just as big as AB.

I don't think that will be the case, mainly because the game has practically zero replayability. Once you achieve the stars, there's not much more reason to play the level ever again.
  • @heathen - I agree with you. I think this game is much like Amazing Alex. And after I completed Amazing Alex it has gone into the "meh" file. I haven't played it for months, and I've seriously considered deleting it from my device. IMHO BP will have notoriety when there are updates, but between those I don't think it has much of a buzz factor.
  • @heathen & @playdbird I agree with the replay value. Where I think it is better than AA is that they can really do a lot of variations to the levels with future updates. I don't know how they will ever reproduce AB. Then again, I've never been a high score person. Those Highscores on the LB are rediculous and a waste of my time to try to get. Once I 3 star and feather I rarely go back.
  • @lostgraybird, I doubt that any game could beat success of AB. AB are designed for all. Everyone could find his goal in AB being it just three staring or beat all highscores. I can always play AB improving my poor scores.
    AA was fun for a first week after launching game and after I completed and got three stars on each level I never played it again. lack of scoring and leaderbroad (and even acheivements) is big shortcoming of this game.
    BP is really fun to play, but it also lack scoring and improving challenge. Kids would surely love this game. I played it with my 5 year old nephew this morning and he enjoyed game and laughed every time pigs cracked. Even that young kid could complete level.
  • What they SHOULD'VE done with this game is add a scoring mechanism. However, with this being a physics based game (like Angry Birds), they should've made the contraption part of the the game a separate screen, then once built, allow you to put the item anywhere within a pre-defined area at the beginning (i.e. the launch pad) so that scores can be influenced no only by when certain items are detonated, but even the staring position can affect score (sometimes negatively, sometimes positively, as can has been demonstrated in the game already).
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!