What was the first computer game you played?
  • This is not a contest! Just amusing info.
    Several people posted their first computer game on
    http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/1404/seniors-on-angry-birds-nest
    which is really about the ages of players.
    So I thought it would be interesting to start a new forum on the oldest computer game you played. People who posted on that forum, please repeat your posts here, and we will ask the admins to delete the posts, or part of posts in the other forum.
    I gave up on researching the earliest game I played. I went through 3 periods of computer game addiction, separated by several years. In compiling this list, I realized that most of the older games were the kind that once you've finished, however long it takes, you're finished. AB is the first game I've played where you can always do better.
    So here is my list:
    1970 to early 80s
    Can't remember the names of these games, but they are similar to the earliest Mario Bros. in terms of graphics, except they were black and white, probably freeware / shareware. One was a quest game to find the ankh, but nothing like the ankh games you find if you google ankh.
    Mid to late 80s:
    Myst
    Prince of Persia (the first one in 2D)
    2010 -- I got an iPhone and AB!
  • 103 Comments
  • Now, since I am much younger, mines is probably different. I'd have to say that the first computer game I played was this CD called After Dark Games, which was a set of several games with different themes and stuff, like Toaster Run and Mowin' Maniac (arcade games), Fish Shtick and Bad Dog 911 (word games), and more! It was really fun. Ah, good times. :)
  • The first computer game I played was Aladdin. You had a sword to kill your enemies and I was 7 at that time.
  • When i was 6, The first game I played was Kirby on the game boy colour good times that's for sure :)
  • I Love playing the Old NES and SNES Games on PC with Enulators. Last i played on PC was Super Mario Bros 3, Donkey Kong and Double Dragon!!! :-)
  • A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask... Zelda games are my childhood

• My first game was the first Harry Potter on my PC, my fav PC game was, is and probably always will be Battlefield 2142
  • My first computer was Commodore 64. When I got it in 1985 it came with pack of 6 games. Three of them were sport games (winter sports, summer sports and golf). One was some sort of labyrinth were the goal was to get a ball out of the labyrinth moving from the down left corner to up right corner on the screen. And there was one game where mission was to get a jumping man to the highest level avoiding obstacles like land mines and bombs.
    Then I remember playing Tetris and mahyong in late 80s on computer.
    I also had only one nintendo game with some parachutes, boat and sharks.
    In ninteies I was allready grown up but I played some Super Mario games. I can remeber that my sister played Hugo a lot.
    Summer 2011, I bought iPad and played a lot of adventure games and hidden objects games. I can recomend those from Midnight Mysteries series.
    In March this year I start playing Angry Birds.
  • super Mario land on gameboy color(yellow and green)
  • I'm turn 14 next nov. My first game is super mario bros on nintendo and my fav game was COD and othe FPS game
  • ME? DX-Ball and Virtua cop 2
  • Back when I was like 2 my brother would always let me hold the second controller and just play around in what ever game he was playing, so my first console game was super Mario kart for super Nintendo or something. Most memorable first game was zombies ate my neighbors for super Nintendo, gah me and my mom would always try to beat it but could never beat the last boss.

First pc game was Starcraft back when it first came out and I have to say, it was incredibly impressive for the time. Me and my brother would play that game for hours on end each day, to a point where our mom would have to take our Ethernet cable at night so we'd go to sleep for school.

Also more recently I had broke out the old dusty super Nintendo and had another go at that game zombies ate my neighbors because my friend wanted to see me play it and try to beat it, sadly to say I got to the last level without completion.:/ maybe in 10 years I'll take it out again and try once more and hopefully beat a game I loved in my childhood.
  • @Kittykip - OMG game called Zombies ate my neighbours. That must be lots of fun.
  • What's that game called @Burbman?
  • if you click on the pic, @BBinMiami, it doesn't cut the top and bottom off :)

my first computer game? Probably Minesweeper, or this odd sort of maze game on one of the school computers... there was a "fishing" game for the BBC computer that everyone in my junior school class was always mad to play on, even though it was depicted in blocky Ceefax type graphics.

Beyond that, the first computer I owned was an Amiga 500. First game I played on that one of a possible three or four: Nebulus, Star Ray, Lemmings or Italia '90 :D first was Nebulus I think...
  • @bbinMiami - It is Mattel Electronic Football from 1977. You basically moved a red dot up, down, forward and back, attempting to avoid other red dots, to score a touchdown. Over a period of time, users could memorize the proper sequence of moves and the correct timing, so that the game became pretty much pointless, but it was state of the art at the time. After that, I spent most of my middle school lunch money feeding the Asteroids game at the local 7-11.

• A game looking for treasures and avoiding monsters in caves, but all in words without animation.

First with any graphics would be Pacman and pingpong

• @bigreddawgs, that sounds like either adventure or zork. I remember them well.
  • My first game was Super Mario 64.
  • Most definitely the first was Combat! on the Atari 2600!! But, @burbman, the ultimate arcade game is Defender from 1979. In fact, I liked that game so much, I bought one on ebay a while back. According to it's serial number it was made early in Williams Electronics first production run.
  • @truckdriver : Another VCS 2600 Combat veteran! :) I spent many hours at Sears playing the demo Tele-Games (VCS) console in 1976, got my own in 1982.

@burbman : I had a generic knock-off of the Mattel Electronics Football and the original Mattel Electronics Baseball (which could use the power brick from my VCS, too lol).

@cosmo2503 : VIC-20 and 64 vet here, lots of games on tape. :)

@hinarei : My Amiga 500 came with Tetris and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, but Lemmings was my all-time favorite. :)
  • My dad is a programmer and was since the 70s so I've had a computers in my home since I was born (1980 yeesh). I wish I can remember the name of the game I used to play with him. It was a little green "mouse", well actually everything was green, that had to run around a maze and eat little green blocks of "cheese". I think it was run in DOS but I'm not sure.
    I also remember in maybe 1986 or 87 playing a dress up doll game with someone from the Canadian Air Force remotely... I'm sure it was online! I'll have to ask my dad .

We also had a Kalikovision (?) and an Atari which I loved to play Frogger and Pong. Later on one of the best Christmas' ever Santa got us a Nintendo! Woo hoo! Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros!
  • @bluestar127 : ColecoVision, which if memory serves was a 2600 clone.
  • the first computer game i ever played was wen i was a little baby in 1997 wen i was a baby i played Snood which is a game where there r these colorful snoods and u have 2 use a cannon 2 shoot snoods me and my mom played it 2gether it was fun except i was scared of the robot snood lol
  • oh also i remember playing Qbeez dat game taught me colors and it super fun!!!!!! I have both of these games 4 my iPhone 4!!!!!!!!
  • PONG.
    In a bar.
    And yes, I was old enough to drink.
  • Pong. It appeared one day as a demo in a department store when I was young. We were allowed to take turns playing this amazing interactive game on the TV ....... Imagine that! We kids were enthralled and for the few months the store kept their Pong display up, we were constantly asking to go there and play. The start of an era!
  • Don't really remember, but probably Putt Putt Joins the Parade. That game was the shit!
  • @kmuster -- Surprised Slim hasn't called you on your language. -- No swearing, please.
  • Ant Attack on a Sinclair Spectrum. They don't make games like they used to! (Thank goodness!)
  • Ah, yes, the Timex Sinclair ZX80. Thank goodness they don't make cheap computers like they used to!

At least the Commodores had practical applications in addition to their gaming abilities. :)
  • @brave1966 - And the C64 had 64K* (!!!!) memory. Surely all the memory we'd ever need. They did write some tight code in those days.

*Not 64MB or 64GB children - 64K...
  • Followed by the Amiga 500 with a basic 512k Ram-and a great motorcycle racing game called "Super Hang On" -and the brilliant "Steam Punk" classic "Chaos Engine".
  • @78RPM: RAM cost an arm and a leg back then, too. When all your code had to fit the 38KB user bytes, you learned very quickly about code optimization. I am still amazed at some of the graphics and music that came out of my C64.

LOAD "*",8,1
  • @DG47, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of "Super Hang On" and only a few mentions of "Chaos Engine".

Amiga sure set the standards back in the day for high-quality graphics and STEREO sound, and the forerunner of Plug 'n' Play configuration. Not bad for a computer based on a Motorola 680x0. :)
  • Not counting consoles, The Prince of Persia and DooM are the first games I played on a PC.
  • @WereWolf69: There are a few consoles mentioned (Atari VCS 2600/Sears Tele-Games/ColecoVision being the most mentioned so far).
  • @brave1966 - Couldn't get the Amiga past the wife. Kept the wife anyway. Of course, she kept me and my hobbies too...
  • My father bought me this laptop, I've played Chess Titans and Solitaire as my first game
    Then my friend talks about this "Angry Birds" in 2011
    Searched through Google, found this site, get that app. Since that I am addicted to AB
  • @78RPM -- Did your wife keep the Amiga, or did she veto your getting it?
  • @78RPM: lol

@mvnla2: Sounds like she vetoed it. :(
  • @mvnla and @brave1966...
    She vetoed the Amiga since I had the Atari which she enjoyed too and the C64 for, you know, "serious" computer stuff. Dot matrix printer and all.
  • @78RPM 5:55AM

Atari ST's are still sought after by bands/Musos/Mixers for the MIDI support and music sequencer s/ware-I know Norman Cook-AKA "Fatboy Slim" used one-so there is a few bucks to be made if you still have and want to sell.....!
  • @DG47: Amigas are also still sought after for MIDI use.

(Trivia: Microsoft bought Amiga's best MIDI software and hardware company, Blue Ribbon Soundworks (Bars & Pipes Pro) to shore up support for sound and Plug 'n' Play in its then-soon to be released Windows 95.)
  • It is a long time ago and it was pong. I can remember I get it for Christmas and I was the happiest little boy on earth.
  • @Traneric - Pong could hynotize you into a trance state.

Hmm...like some other game I can think of.
  • @78RPM: More like 5 other games... lol :)
  • @brave1966, I also remember using Amiga for 3d image creation and 3d animation rendering.
  • @TruckDriver: Cool! What software and hardware did you use?
  • @brave1966, there was LightWave and VideoToaster, and the hardware was actually my school chum's computer, so I don't really remember the hardware specs, but we spent literally hours designing all sorts of weird and cool stuff while learning how to use it, and while studiously neglecting our school work, too!
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!