Tutorial Answer Forum
  • 35 Comments
  • Sorry, I didn't read the directions well enough. Escape velocity for first one. Did I miss something here? Is there a problem we're trying to solve? What are we trying to escape from?
  • These equations (problems 1 to 5) were part of Slim's tutorials. His question was what does the equation describe. Look at his tutorials for original questions, and in his album for answers (link above).
  • These have already been solved. I simply don't understand what I'm supposed to do.
  • The newest one hasn't been solved yet!
  • @Dorito -- The newest one is kinda sneaky. I know what the answer is, but I'm not telling.
  • Where's John Nash when ya need him the most [LOL]
  • @bowzerbird -- I don't think you need John Nash to help you solve these problems, but I bet he could suggest a few doozies.
  • @mvnla2 Read the book. The movie inspired me to and man, what a great read. War Games at MIT, can you imagine!!
    Loved adv. algebra & geometry but not physics. Guess I'll try the equations.
  • @bowzerbird -- Loved the movie; haven't read the book.
  • @mvnla2 The 6th question is the one asked by @Dorito right?
  • @iamMighty -- Question 6 is a modification of Dorito's problem (asked in BP); however, I think I made it significantly more difficult. So even if you solved it before, you should try this version.
  • @mvnla2 I believe that the best option for number 6 is to cean up debris before popping the pigs. Final answer: 15,500. (fingers crossed!)
  • Question 6 - Option 1 (pop pigs, then clean up debris)
    45,000+10,000+3,000+8,000+(10,000*2)=86,000
    Option 2 (pop pigs, and take the bonus)
    45,000+10,000+3,000+(10,000*3)=88,000
    Option 3 (debris, then pop pigs)
    45,000+11,000+10,000+2,500+(10,000*2)=88,500
  • Oh no! Forgot the 45,000 extra points!
  • @Dorito -- You forgot more than the 45,000. Try again.
  • Let's see...the 45,000 to start...then the 11,000 to clean up the debris...then the 10,000 for the pigs...then the 20,000 for the extra birds...86,000?
  • @Dorito -- You can kill the pigs and not clean up any debris; kill the pigs and then clean up; or clean up debris and then kill pigs. So which one gets you more points?
  • @mvnla2 I'd have to say that cleaning up the debris first is the best option.
  • @Dorito -- How many points?
  • @Dorito -- Check your math.
  • @Bill -- if you can't find a level that matches the numbers in a problem, maybe you could rewrite the problem to fit a level. : ) I didn't do that, because it could be a lot of work.
  • I know the answer for 6 and the max score is 88,500.
  • @AMslimfordy -- Glad you're interested enough to try problem, but...you should be suggesting problems, not posting answers! You're way too old, even if not that old. Not to mention that other people have posted that number before you.
  • I didn't look at the answers above. But I'll see if I can come up with something. Need to work on Lesson 5 too though ...
  • @AMSlimfordy -- Thanks! I would think that problem 6 would be way to trivial for you???
  • @amslimfordy It would be interesting if you suggested some more of your fun physics problems!
  • @Bill I was hoping you would find a level and more realistic assumptions. But I know that Utopia intervened.
  • @all Answer to 8 is in Slim's album. Problem 7 has been made easier and a lot of hints added.
  • Can I check 7? I did it in a rush a few days ago, but haven't got round to posting it........

Ek: 962 abm m^2 s^-2
    p: 62 abm ms-1

Probably wrong, but it's worth a shot1 :)
  • Having Internet problems. Will reply later. Which version of the problem did you solve
  • The first version :)
  • @Laurence -- Your answer would be correct assuming that the starting point was the same height as the impact point, and if you ignored horizontal velocity. The problem as originally stated is much harder than I intended, which is why I modified it to make it easier, and added hints. Try the current version.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!