Spam Reporting
  • Has anyone else received a private message from @gift20? They joined less than 3 hours ago and yet they've sent me a private message saying "Hello dear .... pleasure to contact you after viewing your profile....which really interest in me having communication with you.......to know all about each other." The message goes on to request I communicate with them via an email address and not through the Private Messages.

I have not replied and will not be - this is SPAM! The sender's language is more than likely not English. The only thing my profile discloses is that I'm Australian. It does not disclose whether I'm male or female, how old I am - nothing. My immediate reaction to this message was eeeuuww, yuck.

I respectfully request this new member be rejected/banned from the site - they couldn't possibly be here for AB. It's bad enough receiving "Friend" requests from people I've never heard of before - receiving private messages is just going too far!
  • 37 Comments
  • I got it from GIFT too, with the exact same message. I bet it's some sort of scam to find out people's e-mail adds.
  • It looks like there is a small spike in new members in the past 12 hours.
    BL and slim might have to check them out.
  • I got same message too
  • Not sure if this is related, but I have an an indicator that I have one message waiting to be read, but when I check my messages there are none in the inbox. Maybe this is related to the "gift" message, but I wanted to report it.
  • Like PlayDBird, I have an indicator that I have one message waiting to be read, but there are no messages in my inbox.
  • I got it too,that GIFT guy is soo annoying -_-
  • @amslimfordy It's still in my inbox, but it says the sender is from me.
  • Thanks SpeedySlim, yep it's gone now. I just checked my email and the only reason I received it was because it came from this site - not directly from the spammer. I hadn't even realised it had gone through - I had only picked it up as a Private Message here. Maybe I'll adjust my Settings so that PMs aren't notified.

I hadn't realised that the whole message would be sent when being notified of PMs - I'm pretty sure that other forums just say something like "You have a PM from (insert name)" and that you then have to go to the website to view the message. Is that function available to you on this site?

Thanks again for being so prompt :)
  • @PlayDBird @ChaosTsar We will see what we can do about getting that indicator off.
    @kartflyer A little strange actually, but just go ahead and delete the message.
    @Chicadee I'm not sure. We can take a look, but it will likely stay that way for now.
  • Thanks again SpeedySlim - I just saw your notice re PMs and the spam above the comments box - I never knew you could do that - is it new? If so, it's a very effective way of quickly communicating with members.
  • The notice? Yes, that's a new feature that comes with our profile system.
  • Got this spam message also and reported to Slim about it. Now my inbox and sent are empty. Is this normal, I didn't delete anything? Bug or something?
  • This may be a result of the "friend's only" requirement that was recently added.
  • Okay, thank you so much for solving this GIFT problem. :)
  • I got that to but I deleted it
  • I got 4 copies of that message. Will delete. No messages on this site.
  • It happened to me last night
  • I received the message about 7:00 am
  • The issue has been resolved. I'll close this discussion.
  • I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping us troubleshoot this and for standing by us. I also want to apologize for any headache it may have caused. With any new update as big as this one there are going to be rough edges, but this is one that I am committed to smoothing out quickly.

As Slim pointed out, you can now only send messages between friends, which is the way it should be IMO. Be sure to only accept friend requests from users you know on the site or that have activity you trust. That said, don't be afraid to meet and interact with new people, just be sure to check them out first. Oh, and don't feel bad about hitting the "Reject" button. Users don't receive notifications that you declined there friend request. Regardless, it's your choice, so you shouldn't feel bad or guilty either way.
  • I can't send PMs to people on my friends list. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong???
  • You should be able to from your profile page, by select the friends tab, then selecting friendships. From there, click on the friend you want to pm, this will take you to his profile.
    There, you will have three buttons:
    1- cancel friendship
    2- public message
    3- private message
  • Thanks! Could swear that this is what I tried, and it didn't work, but works now. Probably jet-lag (sounds better than plain old stupidity).
  • I got a spam from some guy telling me where to download Fry Me To The Moon for PC a few days ago.
  • If it's not gift20, please let the admins know who it is.
  • i got it too...i wonder who it was and what they were trying to do
  • was that gift user a real user or what?
  • It was just spam.
  • check my profile for his/her e-mail
  • Absolutely not. It's over now.
  • saylars, please don't post this kind of link here. thank you
  • @sal9 his account has been deleted and the comments removed.
  • What did saylars do?
  • Posted some link to a hack site...They did it on several forum pages. Sal and others were quick to put an end to it.
  • Oh, thanks PlayDBird. Why did he post that? Was he trying to market something or make money?
  • I don't know - since I didn't click the link I have no idea what the intention was - make money, install a virus...it could have been anything.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!