The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 2503
  • 159583 Comments
  • @rat9 Well, I truly was, no kidding. . .
  • Hi everybody, I am new here (those who know me would know what I mean. Can somebody explain the drink thing?
  • @rat notice the large man hands! Holding that burger was like palming a basketball, and hat MegaGulp is a large paint bucket.
  • Nice song @zebung can't access pic, is it restricted to friends only? Have sent friendship request, can't wait to see.
    @tompuss don't worry, we all get dragged in to something unbelievable, and believe it occasionally.
    @rat the threat of imminent death is working well. Ipad responding perfectly all day. And mine's a right old shed, compared to your iPad air.
  • @Tompuss @mvnla2 @Pa You all know how a 'Vine' is made right ?
    That was actually a pretty impressive one; )
    Don't feel gullible @Tompuss that was actually a very creative vine;)
  • @Flying Falcon Always happy to see a new face;) Welcome to the Bloated Pig. if you haven't read page 1 of the forum i suggest you do it explains a liitle bit about the forum.
    The drinks of course are virtual so you can ask the barkeep (Orange Bird) OB for short for anything you'd like and happily set yourself down at the bar or a booth Or enjoy the Patio And let your imagination take over;)
    Also any questions about the site will usually be readily answered ', Keep in mind is not a 'llive' chat ' so it may take a few to get a response!
  • @e-star -- Try Foyle's War -- I watch very little TV other than the news and golf, but loved that series.
  • @TomPuss -- It was still impressive and imaginative, even if not real. Love Rube Goldberg machines!
    Got to check on bluebonnets and lupins -- Very familiar with the latter, but why was that horse just standing there? I've never seen a horse that wasn't eating them. Maybe he was totally full and wondering what he was going to do about the rest?
  • Ok, @Kathy -- For someone who claims to be computer/internet challenged, you've got me. I've never even heard of a vine. Will have to Google.
  • @Flying Falcon -- Welcome to the BP. Unfortunately, because your name has a space in it. I don't think you will get notification of the @mentions. Who knows, maybe it has changed?
  • @mvnla2 Vines are a new fad. . where people take short clips of funny or strange things then piece them togerher to form a video (vine) theres actually an App.
    and lol i only know cuz my co-workers 16 year old is famous for making funny vines. like twiiter you can 'follow' people to watch their vines..
  • oh and @mvnla2 you can actually look up 'vines' on twitter and follow the app i guess not really sure but if you follow 'Vines' you will get lots of funny video clips through your twitter. i haven't really checked it out yet but I did press follow lol.
  • @zebung I looove that song!!
    is that really You! !! The pic or are you pulling our leg? that is a mighty big Burger lol! !
  • @zebung what the Eurocardesigners don't seem to understand is that we need appropriately sized 'cup holders' for those MegaGulps. At least the most recent Eurocars have cup holders designed in, a huge advancement, but they are still merely thimble sized. I dare say, the size of the tip of your pinky digit. Don't they understand that we have 2000 miles of I-10 just from Beaumont to El Paso with nary a DQ betwixt? Not only must the intrepid lone traveller consume the MegaGulp, but also expel the resulting effluent without attracting undue badged mirror shade attention along the road side..... Lest you get writ up for PU.
  • @TomPuss -- Just looked up lupine, and yes the flowers I know from various western mountain regions are related to the Texas bluebonnet, but I've never seen the white flowers on top.
    @ABcrazy -- I well aware of the distances in the US, but 2000 miles from Beaumont to El Paso? Got to check that one!
  • @ABcrazy -- Liked your comment, but 2000 miles! I guess Texans do like to exaggerate! It's only 823 miles, and I'm sure there are lots of places to get a fill-up, not to mention relief.
    And yes, the Euro-car designers have been very slow to include enough cup holders, let alone ones big enough.
  • @kathy Yeah, it's me times 2

@abcrazy Agree to some degree. One of my old girlfriends developed the largest Gulp for 7-11. Completely absurd. Big cash cow for them but ridiculously too much for a normal person, unless you make that long-ass drive sometime. The difference with European car makers (Volvo e.g. didn't even provide a drink-holder for many years) is that Europeans generally don't drive such long distances - gas costs about 4x more here. I used to have all of Sweden as my territory and people thought I was nuts driving 13 hours to meet customers in northern Sweden (just north of the Arctic Circle but still 6 hours from the northernmost end of the country), or driving 8 hours to the southernmost city of Malmö. Growing up in TX and travelling 18 hours to meet the grandparents in Iowa made it easier.

@mnlva2 Maybe the exact mileage wasn't correct, but for perspective, if you flip Texas upwards, McAllen and Brownsville would be north of Chicago, somewhere in Lake Michigan. Big-ass state. We have wet and dry (and even "damp" counties where you can buy beer and wine, but not liquor) counties where people drive an hour to buy beer. I used to have to drive 30 minutes (from a North Dallas suburb) to buy beer/wine/liquor. Strange relationship to alcohol, but that's the way it was back then. We had "Blue Laws" that meant we couldn't buy lots of things on Sundays - nothing like nails, hardware, etc...

Fun fact: In Lynchburg, TN (a dry county), where Jack Daniels bourbon is produced, you can't buy Jack Daniels, or anything else for that matter. You can go to the factory, but... (at least it was like that in the late '90s).

@abcrazy can chime in and confirm or say I'm completely wrong, but I'm sure we've had similar experiences. BTW, JSC was one of my favorite places!
  • Everything's bigger in TEXAS @Mvnla2. I get it @ABcrazy. Do you exaggerate while you are teaching? ha ha

Loved the picture @ZeBung. But I don't understand. It looks like a normal sized snack to me.

@Hunnybunny My I-pad air is the only piece of technology I have that's worked in six months. TV's, desktops, cable feed, cable box, DVR, router, modem, ceiling fan, garage door opener, touch sensors for lights, laptop, electric screwdriver, electronic door lock, answering machine, house security system, smoke detectors, car, computer printer, and cell phones are only a partial list of my electronic issues. I've had many copies of your picture made up and I'm in the process of scaring all my things into submission. Thanks.
  • @mnlva2 Correct, not 2000 miles, but Beaumont-El Paso just seems like it. You can tank up on a drink until about 1/2 way through, then there is NOTHING! There are signs that sya "Last chance for the next XX miles". Gotta plan or you are scr**ed".
  • @Rat -- You must have caught @Kathy's gremlins. Can't believe all that stuff isn't working.
    @zebung -- I think part of the reason Europeans don't drive that far is that cities are much closer together. I may not live in Texas, but in CA, and especially LA, long drives by European standards are considered short.
    I never knew that Texas had blue laws. I'm familiar with them in MA and NH. I grew up in Colorado, when you could buy only 3.2 beer (but I was too young to drink it).
  • Our ages are showing @Mvnla2. I lived in a dry county but Louisiana was 18 for beer and liquor. Road trip.
  • Me Have Gremlins ?? Lol whatever makes you think that @m@mvnla2 hee hee;)
    and i have heard before they are catchy haha sorry PA That's what you get for keeping company with the likes of me hee hee; )
    nighty night all

ohhh crap is Tuesday huh? Well Whine Tuesday is hereby delayed till Wednesday due to yesterday's holiday.
    *places baskets of earplugs on the bar and all booths ,and on the table by the door *
    feel free to Wwwwwwihhhhhiiiiinnneee away!
  • Night Pa ♡
  • What????? Did I exaggerate just a tad? :-D I'm sorry, I was just trying to make a point. ;-)
    @zebung JSC is still one of my favorite places. Funny how I thought nothing of it growing up (in its heyday) and now I miss it fondly (from my heyday).
  • @ABcrazy -- What is JSC? Did I miss or forget what?
  • @ABcrazy I liked JSC too. But I also liked Kennedy Space Center, the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, and Edwards Air Force Flight Test Center. I wish they were all closer. I feel sorry for the people that never got a chance to see a Space Shuttle taking off and/or landing. You feel it in your gut and your heart.

Good night Ma
  • @Mvnla2 I didn't see your question about JSC but I'll wager you figured it out after my posting above.
  • @Rat -- Thanks! Yes I figured it out. I've actually been there, but have never see a space shuttle, or any other satellite taking off (or landing).
    Speaking of age, I went to JSC with my ~95 yr old aunt, whose hair was still naturally mostly brown. It was interesting that the only person who thought my aunt was old enough to deserve special attention and a seat in a crowded waiting area was an elderly gentleman. The young kids all seemed to think she was younger than the fat, out-of-shape 60 yr olds.
  • @Mvnla2 Great that your Aunt is so spry-looking, if not actually spry. My Grandmother was 95 when she passed. But she was still going to the old folks center and driving the youngsters around at the age of 93. You had to snicker.
  • @mvnla Foyle's War. I know every episode, every scene, every word. It's Mr Bunny's favourite

@rat I'll send you a picture of me, just out of bed, no make up, hair like a toilet brush, with that look of "why on earth did HWDNF get me up so early" Anything, vegetable, mineral, aminal, obeys. That will sort your problems
    (not on my life, your life, or anybody's else's life will you ever see that. Tell your appliances to imagine...)

@ABcrazy love the driving post. Even if it was imaginary. My little open top does less miles in a year than your wonderous journey...

@zebung love the false fat, it's just so "fake" Nice, big hands, lovely long fingers, I'm a bit of hands freak......
    It's bit of a silly American characture though. I hate that sort of thing, unless it's really really funny. Hope yours is, on the day.....
  • @ABCrazy you called out ZeBung for the photo of him, I've posted photos of me. Your turn next?
  • @HunnyBunny If you have Hola installed on your computer you can watch it. Hola is an app that lets you watch TV from around the world (IP mirror site or something of the sort). It airs Friday night at 8:00 here (London +1, 6 jours ahead of NY and the East Coast of the US). BTW, We get Foyle's War here - great show!
  • @zebung sort out your avy. That grey ABN one size fits all is gross....
  • Nighty night all xx
  • @Hunnybunny
    Lucky Mr. Bunny gets to see that picture you described every morning. he he
  • @rat I do have fun telling my students what it's like to see a Shuttle launch at the launch site. Can't really exaggerate that too much. Even HWDNF agreed it was worth it when I finally got him out to see the second to last one. TV just can't convey the incredible power.
  • @ZeBung If this fat old one-eyed man can learn how to upgrade an avatar, you should have no problem.

Speaking of hands Mrs. Bunny, I can palm a basketball. But just barely.
  • @Zebung we still have blue laws. And dry counties. Not many but they are still out there.
  • It was something to see @ABcrazy. I only saw one launch but I'll never forget it. I was working on the B-2 at the AFFTC during the first landing of the Space Shuttle an got to see it and about a dozen others. And it was always fun to see them put the Shuttle on the back of the 747 for transport. It lumbered down the runway during takeoffs. It was so large it never looked as if it were going fast enough to lift off before it ran out of runway. And yet it did. The speed was deceiving.
  • Uuuuuuhhhhhhuuuuuummmmm...... @hunnybunny I don't know how I could top your image, or even come close. Although I suppose my boys could describe me at times similar to yours.
  • @rat That SCA (Shuttle Carrier Aircraft) is one of the few artifacts JSC got out of the dismantling of the Shuttle program. It was rather interesting to see it stripped down and towed down local streets to its current resting place last fall. A 747 is a huge, impressive airplane on its own, stack a Space Shuttle on top and its is just.... Wow.
    Did you ever get inside? It's cavernous. Gutted to save weight. Only a few rows of seats for support crew.
    @hunnybunny I think I might be able to find a photo of me when I took my dad out to Ellington to see the then new Shuttle Endeavour stopping by on its first piggyback ride to KSC from Downey. Somehow I got him to ride on the back of my motorcycle with me. This was the man I grew up with that called all motorcycles 'suicide machines'. It took me 6 months to finally admit that bike was mine and not 'a friends'. I think he actually enjoyed the ride. I was so nervous I'm pretty sure I drove like a granny. Picture sweaty helmet-head grinning with stern German dad actually smiling with Shuttle on 747 in the background. :-)
  • @ABcrazy The first few times the 747 flew with the Shuttle on it's back it came back and landed safely at the AFFTC. Imagine the HORROR when it came back after a few hours on the third flight, I think it was the third, without it.
    Just pulling your leg. It had detached on purpose to test the landing capability of the Shuttle. Dropped like a rock! Just like it was suppose to. ha ha We were all on pins and needles that day.

Edit: Yes, I did go inside.
  • @ABcrazy I can almost see ya. What kind of outfit do you have on?
    Btw, The front landing gear on the RV doesn't look substantial enough. ha ha
  • Not that I'm complaing @ABcrazy. I'm not. But you sure do talk a lot in the BP for someone that's said goodbye. lol
  • Lol @rat I thought the complaint was if only us lurkers would speak up a bit more? That would be a denim motorcycling outfit I'm wearing, And it's not about me! My dad took that pic. :-)
  • Night Pa ♡
  • @ABcrazy My Mama taught me never be fooled by what they say. It's always about the woman. Everything else is just window dressing. And your Dad just used the Shuttle as an excuse to take another picture of you too.
    Denim cycle outfit you say? Looks to be a few sizes too big for ya.

Night Ma
Post in the New Forum!