Buckle-up! Angry Birds Star Wars is set for an epic launch Thursday, November 8th. We are live at the launch event at the Toys ‘R’ Us in Times Square and will bring you details as they’re revealed! We have a short teaser video above and a bunch of details below. First, some general info:
- If there were any doubts, the official name is, “Angry Birds Star Wars”.
- Launching on iOS, Android, and likely PC/Mac (platform list an educated guess at this time).
Cast of Characters
Based on the image below it looks like all the original Star Wars characters you know and love — sans Jar Jar Binks (dang!) — have been transformed into Angry Birds. Here is a breakdown of the Star Wars characters and their Angry Birds counterparts that we know thus far.
- Red (the Red Bird) is once again our protagonist taking on the part of the young Jedi, Luke Skywalker.
- Chuck (the Yellow Bird) will transformed into handsome Han Solo.
- Terence (Big Brother) will be filling the role of Han’s trusted side kick Chewy.
- Stella (the Pink Bird) is our damsel in distress, the lovely Princess Leia.
- Matilda (the White Bird) is 24 karat awesome, playing C-3PO.
- An Egg appears to be playing the part of our beep-boop colleague, R2-D2. This may be wrong though, as I would expect to see more of the birds used first.
- Bomb (the Black Bird) is Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi
- The Millennium Falcon has a slingshot on its roof
What about the pigs, say you? Is it any surprise that they’ve trotted to the Dark Side!
- I’m willing to gamble that Darth Vader is the King Pig, or at least a Mustache Pig — and maybe the King Pig is the Emperor.
TieOink Fighters are pigs!
We don’t have a ton of gameplay info to report just yet, but I for one am really looking forward to seeing it. We know some of the physics will be pulled from Angry Birds Space, but that’s only a small part of what I’m curious about. I’m really eager to see how deep into the Star Wars universe this will take us. What planets will we visit? Will the game follow a linear story line? Heck, I am just as curious about how the music and sound effects will be interwoven. All of it, I want, yes. Here is what we do know, though this is from the beta version, so it is subject to change:
- Right now the menus and interface are the same as Angry Birds Space
- Looks to be two “planets” to start: Tataouine, Luke’s home planet and an ominous pig-faced Death Star. Trench run to be determined!
- Space Eagle is available, but could receive an overhaul
- Imperial pigs! Dun dun da dun dun da dun!
- Star Wars screen transitions
Angry Birds Level First Look
Below is our first look at an actual level form Angry Birds Star Wars! There’s a few things that we can clearly see, though we are going to be very careful here and state everything is subject to change. Foremost, the planet is Tatooine. We see Luke, the Red Bird, ready to blast some porky storm troopers. For those familiar with the film, we see what looks like Luke’s house on the extreme right background, and the main piggy structure is a moisture vaporator.
Now, for the conjectures. The button that usually spawns the Mighty Eagle has been replaced by the “Alliance Starbird” — the insignia of the Rebel Alliance. What this may mean is that the Mighty Eagle will be replaced by Mighty Millennium Falcon (Eagle?), but this is not clear yet. Perhaps to the chagrin of some, it appears that this will be a consumable in-app purchase, similar to the Space Eagle in AB:Space.
Live Coverage from the Launch Event
Our very own @Sal9 is at the launch event in Times Square (so jealous!). Thanks to his efforts we’ve been able to share a lot of this info in real-time and a bunch of pictures from the event itself. As a show of gratitude, be sure to follow him on Twitter.
October 8th, 10:39 AM Eastern
Planet episodes: Tatouine, etc. …
Birds have powers: Red is equipped with lightsaber that can be triggered for increased destruction
October 8th, 10:18 AM Eastern
Inside, Another line #angrybirdsstarwars (pic)
October 8th, 9:51 AM Eastern
Mighty Eagle [Peter Vesterbacka] is showing AB Star Wars woot! (pic)
October 8th, 8:23 AM Eastern
Chewbaca looks awesome! #angrybirdsstarwars (pic)
October 8th, 8:00 AM Eastern
Almost there! #angrybirdsstarwars (pic)
October 8th, 7:34 AM Eastern
More Angry Birds Star Wars Coverage
- Angry Birds Star Wars officially announced.
- The first teaser image where we all pondered what the heck this was. I was finally right!
- For some of our older posts regarding Angry Birds Star Wars click here.