Good news for iOS users who are debating whether or not to buy the newest Angry Birds phenomenon: Space. Angry Birds Space Free has just been released for iOS, so you can now try Space before you buy it. While this doesn’t likely apply to our veteran members here on ABN, most of whom have already purchased the full app, we feel it prudent to help our new, Google-directed friends! Contrary to the Free versions of previous apps — which typically featured three levels from each episode — Space Free behaves almost exactly like the PC “Demo” version.
Update: Now available for iPad as “Space Free HD”
v1.2.2 Update: This update was released to address a minor gameplay issue, but many have reported that the app fails to load.
Rovio has been informed, so we will likely see another bug fix update in the near future. As far as we can tell, your progress is safe so long as you do not uninstall. Turns out this was an issue with the iOS AppStore, which seems to have been fixed. Please check the AppStore and download the latest versions of all applicable apps.
This release includes:
- SD or HD: Changed from the original post, there is now both an SD and HD version available!
- 10 Free Levels: You can play levels 1-1 through 1-10 of Pig Bang to see how you feel about this intergalactic battle. If you need any help, check out our Pig Bang walkthrough videos.
- Five New Achievements: They are all pretty self-explanatory, but it’s a nice treat to see GameCenter support.
- Upgrading: If you decide you like the app, you can buy the paid SD version from within the app itself. It costs $0.99 USD, but note that it does not carry over your progress.
- No Eggsteroid: In the full version, there is a Golden Eggsteroid hidden in Pig Bang 1-9, but it’s not there in the Free version. Sorry, you would need to purchase the full version to get it.
The app has been released as v1.2.1, but we aren’t really sure what that means, and we aren’t sure about how updates will be distributed as well. Note that we aren’t saying there won’t be any updates (the app description says there will). We are just a bit curious about how the levels would actually be released.