Were you one of those silly people who thought that Angry Birds Rio was extinct? For shame! But we are willing to forgive you, as Rio v1.5.0 is now available for iOS and Android via Google Play and the Amazon AppStore, with more platforms coming soon. This is the first update to the app in nearly nine months, but I’m certainly not one to complain about free levels!
Attention Android users: If you are unable to update via the Google Play app on your device, use a regular Internet browser go to Google Play’s website. Select “Internet” if prompted, sign in your account, and you should see an “Update” button under “My Android Apps”. (Thanks @PJng for this info.)
Note:Game icon maybe change to other page.”
Not only is this release very surprising, but it adds a lot of new things to the app, for all platforms.
This Update Includes
- 18 new levels! These levels appear within each of the six sequential episodes, and are unlocked by earning stars. For example, Star Level #1 is unlocked by earning 30 stars in Smuggler’s Den, Star Level #2 by 50 stars, and Star Level #3 by 70 stars. (Thanks @josm.)
- 6 more levels! These also appear within each of the six sequential episodes, and are unlocked by earning 10 feathers within the episode. Note that, unlike the Sardine Can levels in Angry Birds Space, you earn 3-stars on these levels via classical gameplay.
- Power Ups! Two of them are familiar to anyone who has been around for the past couple of months, one has been seen before if you are playing the Winter Tournament on Facebook, and the last is completely new. See more below.
- Mighty Eagle for Google Play! Yes, our beloved feathery hero has been released for yet another Android app via Google Play. You can unlock his ability — unlimited uses, just like for iOS — for $0.99 USD. For those keeping track, the Mighty characters are now available for 4 out of 5 Android apps!
- Awards Room! While this isn’t new, it’s nice to see Rovio finally gave a name to the episode. Note that we called the episode “Trophy Room” back when there was no name, so hopefully you can navigate our walkthroughs without much difficulty.
- New achievements for iOS! One for collecting all mangoes, and one for 3-starring the Trophy Room!
- iPhone 5 optimization!
Yes, Power Ups have appeared in Angry Birds Rio. While certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion, we kindly ask that you do not vent any frustrations here. We have a forum thread specifically dedicated to the topic that Rovio is well-aware of.
OK, back to business. Power Ups are now available for iOS and we believe Android via Google Play. Here’s the low-down on these in-app purchases:
- Bundles are available and add quantities to all four power ups. These can be purchases as an 80-pack for $4.99 USD, 160-pack for $9.99, 360-pack for $19.99, or a 740-pack for $39.99.
- Specific purchases are available as well, where you can buy your favorite (or most needed) power up alone. Buy a 30-pack for $1.99, 80-pack for $4.99, 170-pack for $9.99, or 400-pack for $19.99.
- Super Seeds: We’ve seen this guy before and he’s a classic at this point. Using Super Seeds makes the bird in the slingshot larger and more destructive.
- Sling Scope: Also typical, Sling Scope adds a dotted line that shows you the trajectory your bird will take.
- TNT Drop: This power up was just released for Angry Birds: Friends on Facebook during the Winter Tournament. It places three TNT scattered around the level, resulting in extreme additional destruction if you manage to trigger them!
- Samba Burst: This power up is Rio-exclusive (at least for now, though with the super-specific name, I doubt we will see it elsewhere). Samba Burst places a fruit hat on the bird in the slingshot. When the bird hits a structure, it will dance the Samba. The tagline says that “Even building will sway to its rhythm”, making it a mix between Blu’s normal ability and the classic Birdquake power up.
- No distinction between scores. Still very disappointed in this. I know I’m supposed to be neutral and only present the facts, but we very strongly believe that such a system is beneficial to all players and must insist on expressing this concern.
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DO NOT ENTER SCORES WITH POWER UPS ON THE ANGRY BIRDS RIO LEADERBOARD
- Our 3-star walkthroughs will be available soon, but if you need help on any levels of Rio, we have every level on video!
- Can’t find a pesky fruit somewhere? See our guide to hunt it down!
- Really want those new Mighty Eagle levels? Or are you an Android user who is just starting out? We have walkthroughs available for the hardest feathers in the app!
- Compete against the best on our Rio Leaderboard. We again ask that you please DO NOT enter scores using Power Ups on the Leaderboard.