Any update is a good update, and to add some fuel to the Amazing Alex fire, Rovio has added a new episode to the contraptions-and-physics-based game. The episode is called Levels of the Week and it sounds exactly like what you think.
Just like with the Tournament levels from Angry Birds Friends on Facebook, the levels in this episode will be replaced each week for even more levels! There have been a few tweaks as well to the normal course of gameplay, which, depending on your perspective, could either be good or bad.
This update includes:
- Eight weekly levels! At least, that’s what the first week includes. These levels are all fan-made and some of them are pretty challenging. Video walkthroughs are live!
- Downloadable levels! As we said, each week it seems that these levels will be replaced. If you find one of the levels particularly fun — or challenging — and want to hold onto it for a while longer, you can download the level. Simply click on the blue down-arrow in the top-right corner of the level you want and it will be added to your “Downloaded Levels” binder.
- iPhone 5 compatible! A pretty neat addition. As we reported in the last Angry Birds update, Rovio plans to add support for the 1136×640 resolution, so hopefully we will see more of this rolling out soon.
- No Game Center sharing? Unlike the first four episodes, there seems to be no “lightbulb” to share solutions for Levels of the Week. I personally think this is a good thing.
- No solution saving. While the game will obviously hold your contraption while you make small tweaks to obtain 3 stars, exiting the app fully will remove your arrangement when you return. Again, I don’t think it’s a bad thing.
- No objectives. Allow me to clarify, as this is true of all fan-made levels. There is no objective such as “Get the doll into the basket”. The level plays until you choose to reset, or until you obtain all 3 stars in a single run.
A few questions remain:
- When will the new levels appear? Our guess is between Sunday night and Monday morning, though we will have to wait to hear from Rovio about this.
- How will the levels be added? We assume it won’t be through a full-fledged AppStore update (think of the Advent-style episodes of Angry Birds Seasons). Rather, it will likely be “Over the Air”, so a WiFi or 3G connection will be needed to download the new levels. Again, this is all speculation.
- The sole achievement in Amazing Alex still seems to be bugged for some.